Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The shortage will last a long time

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

The shortage will last a long time

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:20 pm

As has been mentioned previously, it's the raw materials compounding the issue. Specifically copper and lead. And it's not just the ammo industry that is feeling the effects. It must be recognized that copper, lead, and other raw materials are necessary for many industries worldwide besides ammo. And, like it or not, ammo producers are not the top priority for the mines and processors and the others in the supply chain upstream of the ammo producers. Not even close.

Please don't bother bragging about how big your stash of reloading components or ammo is. Nobody needs to know.

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2020/07/2 ... d-monster/

“As far as the ammo is concerned, the number one thing you have to have in order to make ammunition is raw materials, being lead and copper,” Kastner said. “So all of the lead mines in the United States are in the state of Missouri; Missouri shut them down the first of March. All of the copper mines are in South America; South America shut them down in April. … The lead mines are now open in Missouri, but getting copper for the casings is one of the choking points.”

Just a couple of weeks ago news agency Reuters reported that Chile’s copper mining industry was at a tipping point, thanks to a surge in coronavirus cases among mine workers. At the moment, production is actually up over 2019 levels, but that could soon change.

Patricio Elgueta, president of Chile’s Federation of Copper Workers (FTC), an umbrella group for Codelco’s unions, said miners are exhausted and scared of falling ill but keep working to make ends meet.

Elgueta said unions were weighing a proposal from a regional roundtable of healthworkers, politicians and social groups to draw down production to a “minimum” at all of the mines around the hard-hit city of Calama in order to sanitize them.
5 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: The shortage will last a long time

Post by GFK » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:54 am

No stock pile but considering reloading. Nice to know the choke points.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:52 am

This is really interesting and thanks for sharing it. I figured shortages are always caused by panic buying but this puts a different spin on things altogether. Mildly depressing.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:24 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:52 am
This is really interesting and thanks for sharing it. I figured shortages are always caused by panic buying but this puts a different spin on things altogether. Mildly depressing.
Consumer demand is also part of the equation. When that increases suddenly (beyond what the supply chain has projected future demand to be) it puts a strain on the entire supply pipeline. It takes awhile for them to catch up, sometimes years before the pipeline is refilled. This ripple effect- and the competition for essential materials - also results in cost increases for everyone in the chain from the mines to the ultimate consumers. High bidder gets the goodies.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:30 am

Those that are "considering reloading" should think about the fact that it takes brass cartridge cases to load ammunition. I am just glad that I started loading my own ammo back in the late sixties so I have plenty of lead to make bullets and lots of brass cases.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:23 am

Travlin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:30 am
Those that are "considering reloading" should think about the fact that it takes brass cartridge cases to load ammunition. I am just glad that I started loading my own ammo back in the late sixties so I have plenty of lead to make bullets and lots of brass cases.
And copper to make primers, and a variety of chemicals to make smokeless powder, etc. Ripples.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:06 pm

Hunker down and get through it....
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:15 am

New report out from NSSF. Story on Foxnews. Gun and ammo sales are thru the roof for 1st half of 2020. We all knew this in a general way, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Excerpt:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gun-ammo-sal ... vil-unrest

Gun sales have increased 95 percent while ammunition sales have increased 139 percent compared to the same period last year, according to a new survey by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF).

Retailers nationwide reported a record 10.3 million firearm transactions in the first half of 2020, with approximately 92 percent reporting an increase in ammuniation sales and 87 percent reporting an increase in firearm sales, the NSSF survey reveals.

The survey noted that the demographics of customers who purchased guns and ammo consisted of 55.8 percent White males, 16.6 percent White females, 9.3 percent Black males, 5.4 percent Black females, 6.9 percent Hispanic males, 2.2 percent Hispanic females, 3.1 percent Asian males and 0.7 percent Asian females.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:40 am

Seems we have had a shortage off and on for the last 12 years.
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:00 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:40 am
Seems we have had a shortage off and on for the last 12 years.
This ! it sure is nothing new. I approve this message.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.