Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bullet shapes

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Bullet shapes

Post by Jerrysea » Fri May 15, 2020 10:01 am

As I have written here I just bought a Henry h012mx. 357/38 spec.
The manual I received and the manuals on line for other Henry rifles do not mention to use only Flat nose type bullets. There are many statements on line to use only flat nose in lever action rifles. There are stories of tube explosions because of loading of round or pointed bullets
Some have stated that in the marlin manuals states this. They state do not use round nose or pointed nose type bullets.
Is there a reason that Henry does not consider the use of round nose not a problem or is the use of other type of bullets an urban legend.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Bullet shapes

Post by RanchRoper » Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 am

I have read lots of stuff like that too. I use lead flat nose but have shot Remington lead round nose too. I just never let them slam when loading, and have never had an issue. Seat your primers properly too if reloading. I accidentally crushed a primer sideways while seating one, and it didn't go bang so maybe they are not as delicate as we think.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri May 15, 2020 11:00 am

RanchRoper wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 am
I have read lots of stuff like that too. I use lead flat nose but have shot Remington lead round nose too. I just never let them slam when loading, and have never had an issue. Seat your primers properly too if reloading. I accidentally crushed a primer sideways while seating one, and it didn't go bang so maybe they are not as delicate as we think.
I thought the problem was when shooting not loading. I’ve never heard of one going off although I suspect it has happened.

Maybe it was happening more with Berdan Primers???
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri May 15, 2020 11:19 am

It is a theoretical possibility that a sufficient force with a hard nose bullet ( a military fmj/armor piercing for example) will ignite the primer. However, here's a controlled experiment with standard hunting rounds from about 5 years ago. Click on the image to get a readable full size.

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/ ... tonations/
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri May 15, 2020 11:28 am

The warnings are for spire pointed bullets, not round nose bullets, though the term round nose covers a lot of different shapes. Round nose 30-30 ammo has been the standard in lever action 30-30s as long as their have been lever action 30-30s. In fact, round nose bullets are the preferred lever action bullets for the sake of reliable feeding. Wadcutter and flat nose bullets can sometimes cause feeding issues in certain lever guns. This is most likely to happen in our lever guns that shoot revolver ammo, since a lot of this ammo is flat point

Standard spire point bullets have been the no no in tubular mag lever guns because of the danger of a sharp pointed bullet setting off the round above in the mag during recoil, though I have never seen a case of this actually happening. It's been the standard restriction, though, as long as there have been lever guns. We now have gummy point spire pointed bullets in the Hornady Leverevolution loads that now allows us to use spire points in tube fed lever guns. using these lever gun spire point ammo gives us improved retained velocity, so adds a bit more range to our old 30-30s.
5 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Fri May 15, 2020 11:57 am

Yep, I can get 2350 out of my hand loads with a 20' barrel using 160grn gummy tip that can really extend the range of a 30-30.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri May 15, 2020 12:22 pm

In my two Henry's, .38/.357 & .45Colt, I handload RNFP(round nose flat point) bullets. Have never had a problem.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri May 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Round nose lead bullets are fine, so are other lead bullet shapes, including JSP and JHPs. As has been said, pointed (spired) bullets, other than Flex tips, should never be used, and Henry advises against using FMJs, as well. Both for the same reason, the potential for accidental detonation of a primer in the mag tube, either from recoil or from a sudden impact, like dropping the rifle from an elevated position.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... fmj#p37402
Jerrysea wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:01 am
As I have written here I just bought a Henry h012mx. 357/38 spec.
The manual I received and the manuals on line for other Henry rifles do not mention to use only Flat nose type bullets. There are many statements on line to use only flat nose in lever action rifles. There are stories of tube explosions because of loading of round or pointed bullets
Some have stated that in the marlin manuals states this. They state do not use round nose or pointed nose type bullets.
Is there a reason that Henry does not consider the use of round nose not a problem or is the use of other type of bullets an urban legend.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:25 pm

What NCG says.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

scottb613
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by scottb613 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi Folks,

I may be off to a good start [sarcasm] - again - I’m new to lever action also with the Model X in 357... I didn’t see any reference to specific ammunition in the manual. I just purchased some Hornady Critical Duty 357 Mag - seems like the plastic center core protrudes a bit and covers the primer of the adjacent round - would this ammo be safe ?

Looking for recommendation on a good home defense round and a cheap target round for practice.

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott
0 x