Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BAD AMMO WARNING - HORNADY .45 ACP !!!

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

BAD AMMO WARNING - HORNADY .45 ACP !!!

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:25 am

A member on another forum just posted this and I'm passing it around in the interest of getting the word out. Please pass it around to others. THIS IS A CRITICAL SAFETY ISSUE! THERE IS NOT YET A RECALL PUBLISHED BY HORNADY!!

bought at the Academy inTupelo few weeks ago today tryed them frist round fired great ,next felled to feed then ,pulled mag to cheack this what i found ,my glock 21 sualy eat everything you feed it .hornady is usaly good ammo,lot #3194048,WILL BE GOING TO ACADMY IN MORNING TO LET THEM KNOW .
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: BAD AMMO WARNING - HORNADY .45 ACP !!!

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:37 am

Thanks for the warning. ;)

Luckily all the ammo I bought out of pocket under contract, was American Eagle.... :D
We bought 20 to 30 thousand rounds a year for department training, and our supplier would sell me a couple cases a year for competition in Police Pistol. I always bought an extra. :D

No shortages back then, just thinking like a boy scout.
:D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:46 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:37 am
Thanks for the warning. ;)

Luckily all the ammo I bought out of pocket under contract, was American Eagle.... :D
We bought 20 to 30 thousand rounds a year for department training, and our supplier would sell me a couple cases a year for competition in Police Pistol. I always bought an extra. :D

No shortages back then, just thinking like a boy scout.
:D
I'm thinking about all those brand new gun owners, who wouldn't have a clue whether this ammo was usable or not, and might be unlucky and end up with a mutilated hand or face. :shock:
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks for the heads up on that. That makes me glad that most of my .45 A.C.P. ammo and all the others that I shoot come from Travlin's reloading bench.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:20 am

How do Ya suppose that happened Gunny?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:45 am

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:20 am
How do Ya suppose that happened Gunny?
Looks like they weren't crimped at the factory, and recoil from first shot set back the rounds in the mag . I know this gentleman, and he's a long time shooter. He'd have spotted them if they'd been set back prior to loading the magazine, but apparently didn't notice the lack of crimping.

In a later post, he stated that the round on the right in the pic above was fresh out of the box, the others were in the magazine.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 am

Thanks Gunny. I don't reload, so, was just wondering...not good.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:54 am

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 am
Thanks Gunny. I don't reload, so, was just wondering...not good.
Not good indeed. Spotting a weak or missing crimp takes some sharp eyeballs, and it's very unlikely that a new shooter would take the time to inspect every bullet in a factory box, even if they knew what to look for. I hope that Hornady gets on top of this quickly, but even if they do they likely won't be able to pull back every box in that lot that's been sold in the last few months (assuming this box was not the only one with defective ammo). They could get hit with a few very costly law suits sometime down the road if someone gets hurt - or worse gets killed by an attacker because of this. This stuff is marketed as hi-end Defensive Ammo, which is what a great many people have been most interested in recently.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:26 pm

That is very scary. I have long been a fan of their Critical Defense handgun ammo, it has always performed well and is affordable..... but this has me rethinking my choice of manufacturer. I wonder how the crimp could be skipped? I have always been reluctant to reload my own self defense ammo, but even as an aging senior I can do way better than this....

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Thanks Gene. I think I would return that to where I bought it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55