Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BAD AMMO WARNING - HORNADY .45 ACP !!!

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: BAD AMMO WARNING - HORNADY .45 ACP !!!

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:42 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:26 pm
That is very scary. I have long been a fan of their Critical Defense handgun ammo, it has always performed well and is affordable..... but this has me rethinking my choice of manufacturer. I wonder how the crimp could be skipped? I have always been reluctant to reload my own self defense ammo, but even as an aging senior I can do way better than this....

John Davies
Spokane WA
Automated production. Sometimes the machinery has a hiccup, or drops out of calibration, etc. And when you're pumping out thousands of rounds/hour it's impossible to inspect every round. That said, it's very likely this problem was restricted to one lot from one production line, so I wouldn't worry about other calibers. I don't know how Hornady assembles a lot (how many rounds/lot) but typically it will be something under 50,000 rnds in the industry. We won't know how extensive the problem was until Hornady releases a recall.

I was up to my eyeballs in high volume production processes for 15 years when I worked for Boeing in the 80's & 90's. You should see how they build the wings. All robotic even back then, and the robots were the size of a medium size 3 story house. Even drill changes were automated for drilling 20,000 or more holes in the spars and stringers, and installing 50 different sizes of threaded titanium fasteners to hold all the pieces together. We could pump out a 747 in 4.5 days once the production line was filled up, from 10's of thousands of parts and miles of wire and tubing from all over the world. It's absolutely mind boggling.

Check this out. This was the plant I worked at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vInrQj-q-es
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:41 pm

Good stuff. I worked in a tool & die shop from 1985 to 2000. We built a part of the wing for the B-1 bomber back in the 90's.
Heck of a job. Some good money involved back then. A company in Nashville( AVCO, at the time ), built wings, and farmed some of it out to small shops. Lot of OT too.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:57 pm

There's not a lot of crimp on a .45 ACP round about .002 at most. That is a lot of recoil to do that.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:07 pm

Not an excuse, but this climate of social distances may not a great environment for a good product.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).