Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Monarch/Armscorp 9mm ammo problems

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Monarch/Armscorp 9mm ammo problems

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:30 pm

I didn't read all the posts in this thread so I don't know if it has suggested previously but have you contacted Academy, Ltd. as per their site address on the box?

They might 'comp' you in some way.

My suggestion is to consider reloading.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:43 am

I think that you might want to chalk it up as a lesson learned about cheap ammo and be glad that you didn't have a bullet stuck in the barrel or something as bad.
3 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:40 am

Just an observation: In the third pic, that sideways stovepipe case looks awfully clean inside. Odd. When ammo is mass produced at the factory, guessing a couple will "slip thru the cracks", as in a light powder charge. That light/no crimp is concerning also. As you mentioned, shoot the rest in another gun and be done with that ammo. Best thing is, you have ammo that you know works. Good luck.
1 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:48 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:40 am
Just an observation: In the third pic, that sideways stovepipe case looks awfully clean inside. Odd. When ammo is mass produced at the factory, guessing a couple will "slip thru the cracks", as in a light powder charge. That light/no crimp is concerning also. As you mentioned, shoot the rest in another gun and be done with that ammo. Best thing is, you have ammo that you know works. Good luck.
I thought that empty case looked too clean, also. At any rate, I’m going to take your advice, Rifle Tom. I have plenty of 9mm ammo by other manufacturers that I can use. I’ll use up that Armscor in my Glock 19 and not buy anymore. Thanks.
2 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:11 pm

As a rule, most case sooting is created by under-powered rounds.
The case is not obturating (swelling to seal case to chamber) which allows burnt powders to escape the action.

When this happens with handloads, it generally means you need to up the powder charge slightly to create a good seal.
Under-powered rounds could also be the culprit in the failure to fully eject the empty cases, which, in turn, causes the stovepipes, or failure to feed.

Can't talk to the unburned powder issue, but the rest of your problems seem to stem from under-powered rounds.
Not really that uncommon with mass produced ammunition.
1 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Mgderf wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:11 pm
As a rule, most case sooting is created by under-powered rounds.
The case is not obturating (swelling to seal case to chamber) which allows burnt powders to escape the action.

When this happens with handloads, it generally means you need to up the powder charge slightly to create a good seal.
Under-powered rounds could also be the culprit in the failure to fully eject the empty cases, which, in turn, causes the stovepipes, or failure to feed.

Can't talk to the unburned powder issue, but the rest of your problems seem to stem from under-powered rounds.
Not really that uncommon with mass produced ammunition.
That’s what I suspected, Mgderf. Thanks for the input,
0 x