Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Posting Activity

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Posting Activity

Post by Pitchman1968 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Hello All,

It seems that since early February there has been a slow down in new topic posts on this Henry sub-forum. I've checked a few of the other sub-forums, and all but the Henry Center Fire Lever Action forum have also been down in new topic postings. This seems a little odd to me because except for the Rockies, most of the U.S has had a warmer than usual winter with little snow. Up here in Central Massachusetts, we have only used our snow blower only once, and that was way back in early December. I'm thinking this mild winter might have resulted in more frequent range trips.

Since the end of muzzle-loading season on 12/31/2019, the only gun I have brought to the range has been my .44 Mag BBB. Since last summer when I installed my Skinner Express peep sight and a corresponding Skinner front sight, that rifle has been a real pleasure to shoot. At 75 yards I'm shooting 4"-5", 5 round groups, and that is fine for whitetail hunting in New England and Upstate New York.

As concession to my age and recently repaired shoulder, I'm reloading a mild round: 16.5 grs. of Accurate #9 beneath 250 gr, Bear Tooth hard cast bullets. My Chrony is on the "frits" so I don't know how many FPS I am getting, but I expect that it is in the 1350 - 1475 FPS range. Generally, I fire 50 - 75 rounds on each range visit, with no leading or unburned powder. However, I clean the rifle after each range session because that's what my Dad taught me to do way back in the early 1950's.

I hope everyone remains healthy in this Coronavirus siege; keep washing your hands with Dawn Antibacterial dishwashing liquid... which also is the best soap for steel pin tumblers.
4 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Posting Activity

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:01 pm

All ranges in the state (Washington) is closed so I can only shoot air in my back yard.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:05 pm

I remember in Wash State Gene going to the Nat Forest and shooting. Probably not allowed there anymore.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:41 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:05 pm
I remember in Wash State Gene going to the Nat Forest and shooting. Probably not allowed there anymore.
Hasn’t been allowed in National Forests in several western state countries for about five years.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater