Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Best 45 LC Ammo for a Derringer ?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Best 45 LC Ammo for a Derringer ?

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:57 am

Looking for suggestions for some good all around Ammo for a Bond Arms Derringer with a 3 Inch Barrel.

This would be for general "target" shooting and some simple defense.

I kind of like American Eagle (link below) but open to suggestions.

This would be my first Derringer.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_inf ... s_id/63678
0 x
NRA Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Best 45 LC Ammo for a Derringer ?

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:08 am

Things that make you say ouch. CGF I think I might use some cowboy action loads in that to soften the recoil.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:45 am

CGF, I've owned several BA derringers in various calibers, including .45LC and .357 Magnum. It is an excellent firearm in my book; about the best derringer on the market.

From my perspective, I've had some "ouch" experience shooting stout .357 magnums, but still manageable. The "ouch" factor depends most of all on the grip style you get. Here is a 3" BA derringer I would get today in .45LC:
https://www.bondarms.com/bond-arms-hand ... /#descPane This derringer is configured perfectly for what I like. It has the extended rubber grip, which is similar to a Hogue Tamer. Works great, holds the gun solid, and mitigates felt recoil. And of course, it's a blast shooting this over/under derringer.

As far as the .45 Colt ammo. I think the American Eagle would be fine. BTW, felt recoil for the .45 Colt is much less (to my thinking) than the .357 magnum for this handgun. I'd try whatever .45 and see what you like. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the same ammo I now shoot in my 1874 Russian S/A top-break revolver, BHA 250gr RNFP Cowboy Action. In fact, I have shot this BHA in the Snake Slayer I had. Not a problem at all.

I'll look forward to find out what BA derringer you get, and how you like it after some range time. Enjoy! :)
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:04 pm

PT7,

Great info, thanks. The Derringer I bought is a Rowdy. It's on the way to my FFL as we speak. Many have not heard of it yet, as it is pretty new. It's Bond Arms new lower price gun. It's the same Bond Arms quality, just not polished. It has a nice "dull" finish which I don't mind at all. Although some are suggesting a lower grain, I may just give the AE a try as you have mentioned.

Thanks again.
0 x
NRA Member

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:22 pm

Either way, that ought to be sporty to shoot. Tell us what you think when you get/shoot it.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:45 pm

So you're going to be a rowdy cowboy. ;) Very cool. I had looked at that model after the American Rifleman article about it was published May 2019. https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... l-pistols/ Over the years the high cost of the BA derringers was always at the top of the negatives list. Not too many other complaints at all about these handguns.

Of course, once a BA derringer is in your pocket, the other caliber barrels tend to show up, too. Part of the appeal of the interesting and efficient barrel-swap design. For my last derringer, I had a total of (if I recall correctly) seven calibers. Here's a thread I posted about my derringer and barrels back in Sept 2017. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... s&start=10 Definitely a hoot to shoot!

Again, enjoy yours.
PT7
Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:04 pm
PT7,

Great info, thanks. The Derringer I bought is a Rowdy. It's on the way to my FFL as we speak. Many have not heard of it yet, as it is pretty new. It's Bond Arms new lower price gun. It's the same Bond Arms quality, just not polished. It has a nice "dull" finish which I don't mind at all. Although some are suggesting a lower grain, I may just give the AE a try as you have mentioned.

Thanks again.
1 x

~Пока~

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:47 pm

PT7,

That's how I first learned about it, in our NRA magazine. Advertising does pay off, lol. Have been wanting one for many years now and had my eyes on a Snake Slayer for a good while, but when this Rowdy came out, I didn't hesitate.

I believe they are a pretty big hit as they are a little hard to find. Many dealers only have 1 or 2 in stock. Which was another reason to jump on one as the prices could very well go up in time.

I'll be reading your link as time allows, thanks.

I may just go for a 38/357 Barrel in the near future. But now that I think of it, that would be a good question. Can we get one with the non-polished Rowdy finish ?
0 x
NRA Member

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Have a Double Tap 45 ACP that I have fired 4 shots out of. Not a good grip and no way to change it. I knew I should stop after the first 2 but it carries 2 more in the grip and I wanted to know how it felt to fire all 4. The web of my thumb was sore for a week.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:19 pm

I would go with a full wad cutter 200-230 gr. to get a little speed due to short barrel. Wad cutter make nice big hole in most things!
For my 3 inch CA Bulldog I run a custom 230 gr. almost full wad cutter. Forget Hornady XTP bullet as it doesn't expand at all at speeds under 900
FPS. If you can find some Speer .45 Colt Gold Dot ammo or bullets for loading that would be a great choice.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:34 am

Good question. Have you looked at the BA matte barrels? Viewing the photos, seems that finish is similar to the Rowdy bead-blast finish. If you thought so, you can order a matte barrel in any length BA offers. Here is their availability statement. This was listed with the 3.5" matte finish barrel, which does come in .357MAG / .38SPL caliber.

*Gun Barrels are made to order - They will take 6-8 weeks processing time before they are shipped*
3.5" Inch Barrel caliber of your choice.

Very cool. Should be really a snap for you to add barrels to the Rowdy if you like the matte style. Have fun!

PT7

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:47 pm
I may just go for a 38/357 Barrel in the near future. But now that I think of it, that would be a good question. Can we get one with the non-polished Rowdy finish ?
1 x

~Пока~