Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tacoma gun/ammo tax

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Tacoma gun/ammo tax

Post by dasmoeturhead » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 am

Yep, seen it on Fox News this morning. The city of Tacoma Wa passed a $25.00 tax on guns sold, and $ 0.05 Tax per round of ammo on top of the regular price. INSANE!
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Tacoma gun/ammo tax

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:52 am

dasmoeturhead wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 am
Yep, seen it on Fox News this morning. The city of Tacoma Wa passed a $25.00 tax on guns sold, and $ 0.05 Tax per round of ammo on top of the regular price. INSANE!
Lived just north of Seattle from late '84 to 2000 when I retired to MS. Tacoma is copying what Seattle did a couple years ago. Totally pointless and useless gesture that will not raise any money for the city, as they claim. People and retailers will just go outside the city limits, same as happened in Seattle. The real purpose, of course, is political. :roll:

PS: the 5 cent/rnd tax is for anything over .22cal. For .22 and smaller it's 2cent/rnd. I believe there is also something in this ordinance to cause retailers some financial grief.

Local news about it: https://komonews.com/news/local/tacoma- ... al-gun-tax
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 am

The person who wrote this bill must have just wanted to drive business out of town. It will not reduce the amount of ammunition in the city or surrounding communities, just take away income from the businesses located within the city. Money they would have spent on Non-firearms purchases while in the stores for ammunition and/or firearms now will be spent outside the city as well. If it was MY city, all my shopping would be done out of the city... No gas, no groceries, no clothes, nada.

Next election, there would be new politicians in place. The first of this month was election day. Our county just voted in a Brand New Board of Supervisors... Clean Sweep. Seven New Members. :shock:
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:02 pm

The real purpose, of course, is political.
Actually the real purpose is to drive every gun & ammo retailer out of the city.

The Mayor of Tacoma recently told a Fox news affiliate the revenues from the gun tax will help pay for the 'negative effects of guns'. She compared it to a gas tax making up for carbon emissions. Gun ownership is a right guaranteed by the Constitution — car ownership is not. The disconnect between what she said and common sense is staggering. She is saying that you are not causing any problems as a responsible gun owner, but you have to pay the price for those who are (irresponsible).

What I would like to see is a pro 2A organization develop a 'watchdog' group with the purpose of holding the city accountable for every cent of the 'tax' received from this and to show exactly what it is used for and how it is benefitting those suffering the 'negative effects of guns'.

It is also discriminatory in that if the 'tax' is intended to benefit everyone then everyone should have to pay.
It's like taxing gyms and health food then using the money to fight the effects of obesity.

And get this - an amendment was made to not tax gun parts since there are 400+ workers at Aero Precision (a gun parts Mfg. in Tacoma) they didn’t want to loose.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:12 pm

REMINDER : so long as it remains an informative discussion of taxes and doesn't wander into political or 2nd Amendment areas its fine .... should it move into either or both of those areas it will locked at a minimum and most probably will disappear
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:15 pm

The shops in that area could then focus on reloading supplies!
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:56 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 am
If it was MY city, all my shopping would be done out of the city... No gas, no groceries, no clothes, nada.
Ditto!

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 am

The first of this month was election day. Our county just voted in a Brand New Board of Supervisors... Clean Sweep. Seven New Members. :shock:
This is what the Whole country should do, IMHO

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012