Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hornady A-Tip Match Bullets

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Hornady A-Tip Match Bullets

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am

This is aimed squarely at serious long range match shooters.

Hornady has just released a new match bullet in a few calibers, that they claim is the best production match bullet on the market. See this - includes video.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/a-tip-match#!/
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Hornady A-Tip Match Bullets

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:22 am

I have a solid respect for Hornady and their products so I have no reason not to believe what they say about the quality these bullets .... I've tried two of the links provided to check on prices but I wasn't able to do so .... they are designed for very long ranges that only a couple of folks I know shoot .... while very interesting and good to know, I don't anticipate ever buying any ....
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:02 am

JEBar wrote:I have a solid respect for Hornady and their products so I have no reason not to believe what they say about the quality these bullets .... I've tried two of the links provided to check on prices but I wasn't able to do so .... they are designed for very long ranges that only a couple of folks I know shoot .... while very interesting and good to know, I don't anticipate ever buying any ....
Likewise. I expect they will expand this technology into other calibers eventually. Pretty impressive performance hitting good groups at 1.5 miles with a .308 match rifle. That's right up there with .338 Lapua. :o
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:31 am

And when they say long range they are talking 1000 yrds or more.
110g bullet for 243 is pretty big.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:45 am

The A-Tip is a near a reduced copy of the 750g 50 cal. (.510") Hornady A-Max that has been out for years and has a very good reputation.

Just FYI- when high speed aluminum followed by lead meets hard steel/rock it vaporizes causing a pink flash/flame and some "smoke." This makes spotting hits very easy at long range. Some shooting ranges may not appreciate the perceived "fire danger." :o
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:22 am

wingnut wrote:The A-Tip is a near a reduced copy of the 750g 50 cal. (.510") Hornady A-Max that has been out for years and has a very good reputation.

Just FYI- when high speed aluminum followed by lead meets hard steel/rock it vaporizes causing a pink flash/flame and some "smoke." This makes spotting hits very easy at long range. Some shooting ranges may not appreciate the perceived "fire danger." :o
That bit about the AL vaporizing is interesting. Hadn't thought about that. :)
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 am

Ojaileveraction wrote:110g bullet for 243 is pretty big.

as are 30 caliber 230 & 250 gr bullets .... for that weight one would need to get into the 300 Mag category
0 x