Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Interpolate new FPS & NRG per barrel length?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Interpolate new FPS & NRG per barrel length?

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:03 pm

Agreed on how2get the skinny, Clovishound.

Pretty certain your American Eagle 158gr SP at 1240 fps was tested in a revolver, probably using a 4"-5" barrel. Most times when the manufacturer has identified the firearm used, it is close to that. Also noticed that almost never is a .357 round marketed as "rifle" ammo; always as handgun ammo. So that makes sense, too.

Your comments on "fast vs slow loads" adds to the complexity, which Gunney noted. There definitely are many factors involved. I'm limited in that my "reloading" is solely done by using manufactured off-the-shelf ammo, which comes with limited info (specs) on the cartridge's build and capabilities. That has always made ammo selection challenging, and yet interesting at the same time.

Appreciate your suggestion on the chrony. I'll check with a couple of friends, who might have one.
PT7

clovishound wrote:...most accurate way to determine...couple shots through the crony will give you the skinny...
FWIW, I ran a 158 grain soft point American Eagle through my 20" BBS. Box said 1240 fps out of (presumably) a revolver barrel. Chrony said it was 1800 fps.
0 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:13 pm

PT7 wrote:Agreed on how2get the skinny, Clovishound.

Pretty certain your American Eagle 158gr SP at 1240 fps was tested in a revolver, probably using a 4"-5" barrel. Most times when the manufacturer has identified the firearm used, it is close to that. Also noticed that almost never is a .357 round marketed as "rifle" ammo; always as handgun ammo. So that makes sense, too.

Your comments on "fast vs slow loads" adds to the complexity, which Gunney noted. There definitely are many factors involved. I'm limited in that my "reloading" is solely done by using manufactured off-the-shelf ammo, which comes with limited info (specs) on the cartridge's build and capabilities. That has always made ammo selection challenging, and yet interesting at the same time.

Appreciate your suggestion on the chrony. I'll check with a couple of friends, who might have one.
PT7

I don't reload either. You might want to take a look at Underwood ammo https://www.underwoodammo.com/ . I've been using their .41 mag 210 gr XTP for several years with great results in my Blackhawk, and recently in my BBSC (although I did have a minor extraction issue at first which I took care of by polishing the chamber). The numbers Underwood advertises for their ammo are pretty dependable, so if you have questions about the test barrels they used they will gladly provide that info if you call or email them. They do load at +P pressures to obtain this performance. For the .41 mag, they used the same model Blackhawk I have (6.5").
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Good reminder to me, Gunny....I'd forgotten about Underwood Ammo. I have a box of .357 Magnum 140gr Xtreme Penetrators, which I carried in my Ruger SP101 snubby revolver (for SD). For this Henry AW rifle, I think I might get a box of their .357 Magnum 158gr JHPs to try. They make those with Nosler JHP bullets. Sounds like another possibility for me. Thanks again.

PT7
GunnyGene wrote:...take a look at Underwood ammo...
0 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:47 pm

PT7 wrote:Good reminder to me, Gunny....I'd forgotten about Underwood Ammo. I have a box of .357 Magnum 140gr Xtreme Penetrators, which I carried in my Ruger SP101 snubby revolver (for SD). For this Henry AW rifle, I think I might get a box of their .357 Magnum 158gr JHPs to try. They make those with Nosler JHP bullets. Sounds like another possibility for me. Thanks again.

PT7
GunnyGene wrote:...take a look at Underwood ammo...
What's your take on the Penetrators? I've never shot any and have been wondering about them. My wife has a pre-Hillary hole S&W 60-10 and they sound like they might be good for her carry. Specifically recoil wise. She's 73 and arthritic, so about all she can cope with these day's are .38 SWC and I'd like to get her something better without the full load .357's.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:19 pm

It's been some time since I shot the Penetrators. Recoil was pretty stout for all .357 loads I shot through the SP101 snubby. It was a lighter weight J-frame @ 27 oz. with 3" barrel. The only mod I did was to change out the hard rubber grip with wood insert to a Hogue Tamer. That helped manage recoil. That being said, I'd say the Penetrators might still have too much recoil for your wife, especially as you described her dealing with arthritis. I have a touch of that in my knuckles, too.

Anyway, you can get a 20-round box of Penetrators, which are not that many to try out.

I made a SD revolver carry adjust after I sold my SP101 .357 magnum. I have a Ruger LCRx .38 Special + P. Have been carrying two ammo types, and practicing with each: Hornady CD 110gr FTX or BHA 125gr JHPs. The Hornady round is a +P, while the BHA is not a +P. They are both good ammo choices for me, and I like the BHA best for a SD round with noticeably lessened recoil than the .357 magnum. Might be sometime your wife would consider.

Hope this helps a little.
PT7

GunnyGene wrote:Specifically recoil wise
0 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:00 pm

PT7 wrote:It's been some time since I shot the Penetrators. Recoil was pretty stout for all .357 loads I shot through the SP101 snubby. It was a lighter weight J-frame @ 27 oz. with 3" barrel. The only mod I did was to change out the hard rubber grip with wood insert to a Hogue Tamer. That helped manage recoil. That being said, I'd say the Penetrators might still have too much recoil for your wife, especially as you described her dealing with arthritis. I have a touch of that in my knuckles, too.

Anyway, you can get a 20-round box of Penetrators, which are not that many to try out.

I made a SD revolver carry adjust after I sold my SP101 .357 magnum. I have a Ruger LCRx .38 Special + P. Have been carrying two ammo types, and practicing with each: Hornady CD 110gr FTX or BHA 125gr JHPs. The Hornady round is a +P, while the BHA is not a +P. They are both good ammo choices for me, and I like the BHA best for a SD round with noticeably lessened recoil than the .357 magnum. Might be sometime your wife would consider.

Hope this helps a little.
PT7

GunnyGene wrote:Specifically recoil wise
It does narrow the field some. Thanks. I might get a box or 3 of different loads in .38 & .357 and have her try them out.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Sounds like a good plan to help your wife. My original question was re. .357 ammo for my 20" Henry AW. You and I moved over to chatting about the well-liked, well-used .357 caliber in a revolver. Plus a reminder and look at the Underwood Ammo offerings. Appreciated the chance to chat with you.

Final thought on my move to the .38 special revolver and .38 special ammo. It's been a good move for me. Easier doing the needed "due diligence" to be in practice with a CCW revolver. But I haven't really "left" my favorite .357 caliber in the dust. It's so easy to shoot any load .357s with the AW Henry. Never have to think about "stout" recoil.

Not least, I very much like shooting .357s in my Uberti Police S/A revolver. Very little recoil impact with that gun because it carries a 5.5" barrel and weighs 2.5 lbs. It is a heavyweight, but does take care of revolver recoil quite well.

I really hope your wife finds a cartridge/caliber that she more likes handling. Will be interested to hear what she decides. Best to her.

PT7

GunnyGene wrote:It does narrow the field some. Thanks. I might get a box or 3 of different loads in .38 & .357 and have her try them out.
0 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm

PT7 wrote:Sounds like a good plan to help your wife. My original question was re. .357 ammo for my 20" Henry AW. You and I moved over to chatting about the well-liked, well-used .357 caliber in a revolver. Plus a reminder and look at the Underwood Ammo offerings. Appreciated the chance to chat with you.

Final thought on my move to the .38 special revolver and .38 special ammo. It's been a good move for me. Easier doing the needed "due diligence" to be in practice with a CCW revolver. But I haven't really "left" my favorite .357 caliber in the dust. It's so easy to shoot any load .357s with the AW Henry. Never have to think about "stout" recoil.

Not least, I very much like shooting .357s in my Uberti Police S/A revolver. Very little recoil impact with that gun because it carries a 5.5" barrel and weighs 2.5 lbs. It is a heavyweight, but does take care of revolver recoil quite well.

I really hope your wife finds a cartridge/caliber that she more likes handling. Will be interested to hear what she decides. Best to her.

PT7

GunnyGene wrote:It does narrow the field some. Thanks. I might get a box or 3 of different loads in .38 & .357 and have her try them out.
Oh, we'll find something she's more comfortable with. Might cost me a bill or 2, tho. ;)

Btw, regarding velocity and pressures between revolvers and closed breech rifles, you also have to consider the gas that escapes thru the revolver barrel/cylinder gap when figuring what the same round will do in a rifle. Just another complication, but worth paying attention to. Luckily BBTI has some info and did some testing on how the B/C gap effects velocity in a variety of ammo & calibers. :) One of which was with Federal 158 gr .357 JHP. How about that? ;)

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/gaptests.html
0 x