Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

223 - Buy or Reload?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

223 - Buy or Reload?

Post by ESquared » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:10 am

In other threads there has been back-and-forth about various 223s (LR, SS, etc.) and the virtues of the round (versatility, reach, fun factor), including its affordability vs. reloading.

I've done some pretty extensive searching, and, for brass-cased, 55 gr 223 in almost any brand, including shipping, I can't find much of anything under $.29/round, and I know I can reload for quite a bit less than that, especially after I amortize a set of dies over a couple thousand rounds.

If anyone knows of a source for 223, delivered, in the $.25 range, please chime in.

Just part of the due diligence! Thanks in advance!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: 223 - Buy or Reload?

Post by Mistered » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:26 am

Kind of depends on what you are using your .233 rifle for.
Varmint hunting, target etc. where maximum accuracy is desired and not high round count is needed well then reloading would be the most practical.
High round count shooting, maybe some sort of competition/speed shooting buying might be more practical.
I only have a SS .223 so that explains my round count when shooting it!
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks, Ed. Yeah, I'm mulling a SS, so not exactly a high-volume proposition. I can reload target/plinking rounds for <$.25, all in, I think. What powder are you using??
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:49 am

We buy, locally, so shipping is not an issue and when we buy in bulk, our LGS will usually give us a discount. That's another advantage of the 223. Any place that sells ammo will have it.

The whole question of whether it makes sense, economically, to load your own or buy factory really boils down to the subjective factor of what value you place on your time buying components and siting down at the bench to reload. If you have the time and enjoy the hobby, you are certainly justified in writing off the time spent as a non-expense. On the other hand, if you don't have the time (and it's important to have the time to do reloading, safely), then you are equally justified in placing a value on the time you take from other activities for the sake of reloading. That's us. We quit reloading because it was actually cutting into our shooting time and my shooting time is precious to me. I would much rather be out shooting than stuck inside at a loading bench. To reload or not to reload, then, is a personal decision all shooters need to make. There's more to it than just a dollars and cents equation.
2 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:19 am

Buy in bulk for a while, as long as the case prices are so low. Once you have a bunch, enjoy your rifle and replace stock as needed. When the next ammo drought cones you will have plenty of once fired brass and you can get dies, bullets and powder. Unless you just love reloading ... or want to work up target loads. Here is one good deal - $0.25 each after rebate - but I do not know the shipping cost. ... https://gun.deals/product/federal-ameri ... rnds-34995 ... but for today only you can use their $5 flat rate coupon.

https://www.natchezss.com/conditions/te ... n=48247-NA

John Davies
Last edited by John E Davies on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:16 pm

I can buy .223 for about 38 cents a round. Inexpensive enough for me to buy.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Target sports is another one Evan. They have a prime ammo club you can join that knocks it down the price even more. Heck Evan if all you want is some brass I probably have a bunch of extra brass that I would just give you to get started
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:45 pm

Evan, If you get one, Ramshot TAC is a superb powder for handloading. With the .223, there are so many good bullet choices and powder choices. But, TAC is good.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:07 pm

North Country Gal wrote:We buy, locally, so shipping is not an issue and when we buy in bulk, our LGS will usually give us a discount. That's another advantage of the 223. Any place that sells ammo will have it.

The whole question of whether it makes sense, economically, to load your own or buy factory really boils down to the subjective factor of what value you place on your time buying components and siting down at the bench to reload. If you have the time and enjoy the hobby, you are certainly justified in writing off the time spent as a non-expense. On the other hand, if you don't have the time (and it's important to have the time to do reloading, safely), then you are equally justified in placing a value on the time you take from other activities for the sake of reloading. That's us. We quit reloading because it was actually cutting into our shooting time and my shooting time is precious to me. I would much rather be out shooting than stuck inside at a loading bench. To reload or not to reload, then, is a personal decision all shooters need to make. There's more to it than just a dollars and cents equation.
I'm not sure how I'll feel in the future (of course), but my perspective today is that reloading and shooting go hand-in-hand for me, and I'd rather reload than not, as it helps me better understand and appreciate my shooting, it adds value overall to my enjoyment of the hobby. I don't spend any less time shooting now that I'm reloading, and I've managed to carve out time to reload without sacrificing anything else productive in my life. In fact, in my semi-retired state, reloading has probably added a productive activity to my schedule. I've also learned how to segment the parts of the process so that I don't have to consider carving out 4-5 hours at a time, just a couple here and there a few times per week. I like it, I'm learning something and it gives me something to share, here and with other shooting friends.

In other words, you're absolutely right, reloading is MUCH more than dollars and sense, which, for me, means I don't have to save much at all to be able to justify doing it.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Good points, Evan. Reloading is definitely the way to go for you. Love your reasons.

Here's tip. If the ranges in your area are anything like ours, you can usually find plenty of 223 brass that people have shot and not bothered pick up.
1 x