Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Brass or Nickel

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Brass or Nickel

Post by PT7 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:36 pm

The main stat I need to pay attention to when looking for .45LC ammo to shoot out of my Uberti Russian is FPS. Uberti recommends manufactured ammo be under 875 FPS.

Found a couple of manufacturers on GunBot that have an XTP JHP bullet in .45LC available, as I'd like to try those. I ordered 50 rounds from S&B yesterday, which is 230gr JHP running at 830 FPS. Here is the second manufacturer I found with a slower FPS.

~MANUFACTURER: FREEDOM MUNITIONS
~CALIBER: 45 LONG COLT
~BULLET PROFILE: EXTREME TERMINAL PERFORMANCE (XTP®)
~BULLET WEIGHT: 250 GR
~CASING TYPE: NICKEL AND/OR BRASS
~VELOCITY AVG: 805 FPS

I went with the S&B brand this time because they use brass casings, which is all I've ever used.

Are there any differences in nickel vs. brass when buying manufactured ammo? I know that I've read on some manufactured ammo descriptions that nickel casings do not work well for reloading. Is that the primary difference? Or are there other considerations, too?

Thanks.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Brass or Nickel

Post by wingnut » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:57 pm

Check to see what barrel length the speeds are quoted for. 4" v 20" can make a big difference.

Did Uberti give you a bullet weight to go with that speed? 300g+ vice 250-255g might be good-to-go.

The only diff in brass v nickel is the cost. Nickeled cost more. It seldom flakes during reloading and is easy to spot if it does.
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:02 pm

PT7 wrote: Are there any differences in nickel vs. brass when buying manufactured ammo? I know that I've read on some manufactured ammo descriptions that nickel casings do not work well for reloading. Is that the primary difference? Or are there other considerations, too?
Nickle plated cases are brass, too. The nickle plating came about because brass tended to turn green when left in leather belt loops for too long. The nickel prevented that. As far as I know, that's the only difference.

If the nickel plated brass casings are not stretched excessively by flaring and crimping, they are perfectly good for reloading. They can be more brittle than unplated brass, though, and can split if the flare and crimping processes are too severe. At least, that's my experience. I have boxes of .357 nickel plated brass casings from Remington factory ammo and (while I am very careful about checking for metal fatigue, like I do for all of my brass) they are just fine for reloading.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:06 pm

PT
Buy whatever you can get the cheapest. Nickel cases are just plated anyway. I use them all the time in with my brass there fine for just plinkin ammo.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:24 pm

wingnut wrote:Check to see what barrel length the speeds are quoted for. 4" v 20" can make a big difference.

Did Uberti give you a bullet weight to go with that speed? 300g+ vice 250-255g might be good-to-go.

The only diff in brass v nickel is the cost. Nickeled cost more. It seldom flakes during reloading and is easy to spot if it does.
Wingnut -- The S&B stat shows FPS out of a 4" barrel. My revolver has a 6.5" barrel. No barrel length indicated for the Freedom Munitions ammo, although it is marketed as handgun ammo. No, the T&C Uberti tech did not give me a bullet weight. Guess I'd need to call and check on that. Appreciate your comments.
CT_Shooter wrote: Nickle plated cases are brass, too. The nickle plating came about because brass tended to turn green when left in leather belt loops for too long. The nickel prevented that. As far as I know, that's the only difference.
Stan -- Well, Duh. Makes sense; brass plated with nickel. Glad to know there is no significant difference...thanks.
BigAl52 wrote:PT
Buy whatever you can get the cheapest. Nickel cases are just plated anyway. I use them all the time in with my brass there fine for just plinkin ammo.
Al -- I like your recommendation, and definitely needed based on the cost of .45 Colt ammo. RR knows that, too. The cost factor is probably why he is looking at reloading for his two .45 firearms. Thanks to you, too.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:41 pm

PT, the bullet weight for the traditional 45 Colt load is 230-255 grains, being pushed at 850-900 fps. It's not really the velocity, per se, that is the issue, it's the pressure developed by some of the 45 Colt +P loads, but the Uberti tech was correct in keeping it simple by using velocity to keep things safe for use in Colt/Russian/Scofield clones. The little bit of difference between the 4/12", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrel Colt revolvers will be insignificant as far as velocity/pressure, so no need to get too strict on that 875 fps limit. A 900 fps rated ammo, for instance, won't really be a problem as far as wear and tear. A 1000 fps rated ammo, though, I would avoid, though your Uberti could still handle it without blowing up. Remember, these guns are proof tested at far higher pressures.

As far as the velocity ratings of 45 Colt factory ammo, these are always in terms of revolvers, unless otherwise stated. Interestingly, shooting the 45 Colt in rifles is actually a modern day phenomenon, dating only back to the 60s when Marlin and Winchester started chambering the 45 Colt in their lever guns. Colt never allowed any rifle to be chambered in 45 colt under their patent rights. For the first 100 years, the 45 Colt was a revolver cartridge, only. No one was shooting 45 Colt rifles, back in the old West (sorry, RR). When those cowboys wanted a cartridge to shoot in both their rifle and their Colt, they went with the 44-40, which was an immensely popular cartridge in its day, as both a rifle and revolver cartridge, but it now lags far behind the 45 Colt in popularity.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:00 pm

Amazing NCG. Your knowledge and help is extraordinary . Never ceases to amaze me...sorry, just had to express once again how lucky we all are for an encyclopedia brain member!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:12 pm

Pressures do not change with barrel length only velocity.
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Appreciate the helpful info, NCG.

Very glad to learn the standard, traditional grains load and FPS for .45 Colt. That will be a good guide as I dig into different manufacturers stats on the ammo they offer.

One thing I never knew to remember, is that "these revolvers are proof-tested at far higher pressures." That is good to know. Probably would be someone like me that would unknowingly go beyond a much lower safety level. Early on in one order I made of Choice Ammo CAS loads, I "goofed" and purchased a higher FPS-rated cartridge than Uberti recommends. I have 70 rounds left of 200gr RNFP, which is rated at 950 FPS. To use up that ammo, I only shoot 5-10 rounds per range visit. Would hate to just pitch it....

All this ammo hooey (a gentle term used by Jimmy Stewart) I've asked about in this thread and other threads is related to manufactured ammo. Had no idea there were so many variables attached to ammo, almost like the overwhelming details about reloading. Keeps everyone interested, to say the least. You've been a good help checking/advising me on what I need to know to keep my Russian from "blowing up!" ;)

PT7
North Country Gal wrote:PT, the bullet weight for the traditional 45 Colt load is 230-255 grains, being pushed at 850-900 fps. It's not really the velocity, per se, that is the issue, it's the pressure developed by some of the 45 Colt +P loads, but the Uberti tech was correct in keeping it simple by using velocity to keep things safe for use in Colt/Russian/Scofield clones. The little bit of difference between the 4/12", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrel Colt revolvers will be insignificant as far as velocity/pressure, so no need to get too strict on that 875 fps limit. A 900 fps rated ammo, for instance, won't really be a problem as far as wear and tear. A 1000 fps rated ammo, though, I would avoid, though your Uberti could still handle it without blowing up. Remember, these guns are proof tested at far higher pressures.

As far as the velocity ratings of 45 Colt factory ammo, these are always in terms of revolvers, unless otherwise stated. Interestingly, shooting the 45 Colt in rifles is actually a modern day phenomenon, dating only back to the 60s when Marlin and Winchester started chambering the 45 Colt in their lever guns. Colt never allowed any rifle to be chambered in 45 colt under their patent rights. For the first 100 years, the 45 Colt was a revolver cartridge, only. No one was shooting 45 Colt rifles, back in the old West (sorry, RR). When those cowboys wanted a cartridge to shoot in both their rifle and their Colt, they went with the 44-40, which was an immensely popular cartridge in its day, as both a rifle and revolver cartridge, but it now lags far behind the 45 Colt in popularity.
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Try some Black Hills if you get a chance.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully