Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Brass or Nickel

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Brass or Nickel

Post by PT7 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Try some Black Hills if you get a chance.
I have shot BHA, RR, and still have 80 rounds in my stash of Black Hills 250gr RNFP, which is rated at 725 FPS. It is a really cool ammo to shoot, and I like it. The only hold up on getting more is of course the cost. Higher yet than the S&B ammo I just ordered. That's why BigAl suggested that as long as I'm not a reloader, get the "cheapest for plinking." That will be a good way to go; but from time-to-time, I'm certain more rounds of BHA will sneak into my ammo cans!

BTW, I'm attentively following your Lyman thread, and rooting for you all the way, Cowboy!

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:53 pm

Ya might just jump into reloading...courage is being scared and saddling up anyway....so they say
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:34 pm

PT...all off the shelf .45 Colt ammo will be loaded to SAMMI specs of 14,000 psi. or less and your Uberti .45 is built to handle that.
Now some .45 Colt ammo by Buffalo Bore could exceed that and will be labeled as a+P or Ruger only load.
If you get into loading .45 Colt a long time standard is a 250 gr. lead bullet over 8-8.5 gr. of Unique which I use in all my Colt type revolvers
and smaller frame Rugers.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:02 am

Nickel cases have their upsides and downsides. If you aren't going to reload them, then don't worry about it.

On the positive, carbon doesn't seem to stick to them, so they come back from the range very clean.

On the down side, many of them are brittle and will only withstand a few reloadings before they start to split. A few years back, I just started tossing any nickel .38 cases because of so many failing. The brass cases last for many, many reloadings. I don't seem to have the same problem with .45 ACP. But then, I don't think I've lost any .45s to splits. I get the occasional one in .38 brass.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:58 am

For sure with aluminum cases. But first I've heard that 'confirmed' about nickle plated brass.
clovishound wrote:Nickel cases have their upsides and downsides. If you aren't going to reload them, then don't worry about it.

On the positive, carbon doesn't seem to stick to them, so they come back from the range very clean.

On the down side, many of them are brittle and will only withstand a few reloadings before they start to split. A few years back, I just started tossing any nickel .38 cases because of so many failing. The brass cases last for many, many reloadings. I don't seem to have the same problem with .45 ACP. But then, I don't think I've lost any .45s to splits. I get the occasional one in .38 brass.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Mags wrote:.
For sure with aluminum cases. But first I've heard that 'confirmed' about nickle plated brass.
I have seen a few threads about nickel cases on reloading forums. I hear a lot of anecdotal reports about excessive failures of nickel plated brass. I get the impression it may vary by manufacturer and caliber.

Just to expand on my experience, When I bought my first .38 revolver, I didn't have any brass and bought a bag of once fired nickel plated brass. I started getting mouth splits right from the start. The unplated brass I picked up at the range did not split until years later, and even then it was very occasional. As soon as I got a sufficient quantity of brass, I started weeding out the nickel, even that which had not failed. I had several nearly full case splits, which did not give me warm fuzzies. There is no question in my mind that something about the plating process embrittles the brass. Depending on the exact process each manufacturer uses, and perhaps the exact alloy of the brass, that brittleness may vary.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya