Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Accurate, clean ammo on a budget?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Accurate, clean ammo on a budget?

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:32 pm

markiver54 wrote:... Has anyone had any experience with this German brand? I'm assuming the FMJ will be clean.
Mark, be aware that Henry advises against FMJ ammo because of their hard copper surface and the "potential" that they could ignite in the magazine if
the rifle was dropped from a high place (like a tree stand). I was told that the possibility is very remote, but that the warning is out of an abundance of caution.

I have personally fired more than a thousand 130 gr. FMJ reloads from my Big Boy without incident, but now -- after their warning -- I only shoot them from my revolver, if at all.

I bought the ZERO 130 FMJs at a time when I couldn't get any ZERO JSPs or JHPs; but now I have thousands of each, so that's what I'm shooting in my Big Boy, instead.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:38 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
markiver54 wrote:... Has anyone had any experience with this German brand? I'm assuming the FMJ will be clean.
Mark, be aware that Henry advises against FMJ ammo because of their hard copper surface and the "potential" that they could ignite in the magazine if
the rifle was dropped from a high place (like a tree stand). I was told that the possibility is very remote, but that the warning is out of an abundance of caution.

I have personally fired more than a thousand 130 gr. FMJ reloads from my Big Boy without incident, but now -- after their warning -- I only shoot them from my revolver, if at all.

I bought the ZERO 130 FMJs at a time when I couldn't get any ZERO JSPs or JHPs; but now I have thousands of each, so that's what I'm shooting in my Big Boy, instead.
Thanks for the tip CT. I won't be in any tree stands anymore, but understand the caution. Any harm to the bore that you know of?
The Fiocchi that Evan said he has used are FMJ. Maybe he'll chime in...
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:47 pm

Wow, I was unaware of any such cautionary advisory from Henry on FMJ ammo, so I pulled an owner's manual and don't see anything to that effect, just the caution to use only 158 gr when shooting 38 Spl out of your 357 model. How FMJ could ignite in a tube magazine (with flat or round-nosed projectiles) is beyond my metallurgical expertise (which is near zero).

Maybe CT can lead us all to this advisory...

Don't know what else to add.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks Evan...after all..these are flat nose. :?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 pm

markiver54 wrote:Thanks Evan...after all..these are flat nose. :?
Exactly right.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:55 pm

Here's a post from another forum (did a quick search) from July, 2016 on this very topic:

"I asked Henry about this a few weeks ago and was told that FMJ-RN wouldn't be an issue in my .357. They stipulated that the ammo needed to be from a reputable manufacturer following SAAMI standards, etc."

Maybe Dan@Henry can help?
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:01 pm

ESquared wrote:Here's a post from another forum (did a quick search) from July, 2016 on this very topic:

"I asked Henry about this a few weeks ago and was told that FMJ-RN wouldn't be an issue in my .357. They stipulated that the ammo needed to be from a reputable manufacturer following SAAMI standards, etc."

Maybe Dan@Henry can help?
Reputable...I Hope so...these are from Germany; In my experience , that has been a good thing for most
any products. Hope that applies to their ammo as well! ( " Geco " )...

Have to thank PT for the heads up though! No pun intended, :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:08 pm

Looks like GECO is European/E. European, but it's often hard to tell where the parent company sits. SGAmmo doesn't carry it in 357, but other calibers, like this:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/geco/50- ... ngary-geco

It's range ammo. Brass-cased (not steel or aluminum), so I'd say you're good to go!
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:12 pm

Thanks for the link Evan, interesting. I think I may be...good to go! :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:21 pm

This is the discussion where that issue was first raised...

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... fmj#p37402

ESquared wrote:Wow, I was unaware of any such cautionary advisory from Henry on FMJ ammo, so I pulled an owner's manual and don't see anything to that effect, just the caution to use only 158 gr when shooting 38 Spl out of your 357 model. How FMJ could ignite in a tube magazine (with flat or round-nosed projectiles) is beyond my metallurgical expertise (which is near zero).

Maybe CT can lead us all to this advisory...
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"