Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Super heavy ammo

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Super heavy ammo

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:53 am

OK, heeeerrre we go. The never ending argument between big and slow vs small and fast just went to another level with some new ammo at SHOT.

Excerpt:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/ ... -12-gauge/

At SHOT Show’s Range Day, Seismic Ammo unveiled their +M (extra mass) heavy ammo and let us shoot some. How heavy is heavy? How about 185 grain 9mm, 325 grain .45 ACP, and 2.5 ounce 12 gauge slugs .

0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Super heavy ammo

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:03 am

interesting new product .... I wonder how the heavier bullets will impact felt recoil
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:33 am

JEBar wrote:interesting new product .... I wonder how the heavier bullets will impact felt recoil
The article talks abut that briefly for the 9mm. Softer due to powder and lower MV.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:57 am

If they're not out there already, I'm imagining there will be a few YouTube vids of guys shooting these into ballistic gelatin, and that would be interesting.

On the surface, it seems like a lot of marketing going on here. I've read a bunch of the debates about the legitimacy of the whole concept of "knockdown power," and most of these discussions end up in a "stand-off agreement" (so to speak) that shot placement trumps all.

It will also be interesting to see how the CCW crowd embraces (or not) the notion of carrying around 18 rounds of 185 grain 9mm in your typical full-sized magazine.

At the risk of being the "get off my lawn" guy, I'll pass.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:04 am

ESquared wrote:If they're not out there already, I'm imagining there will be a few YouTube vids of guys shooting these into ballistic gelatin, and that would be interesting.

On the surface, it seems like a lot of marketing going on here. I've read a bunch of the debates about the legitimacy of the whole concept of "knockdown power," and most of these discussions end up in a "stand-off agreement" (so to speak) that shot placement trumps all.

It will also be interesting to see how the CCW crowd embraces (or not) the notion of carrying around 18 rounds of 185 grain 9mm in your typical full-sized magazine.

At the risk of being the "get off my lawn" guy, I'll pass.
Insufficient data to say anything meaningful about ballistics/performance at this point. Unknowns: BC, barrel length & optimum twist, feeding and extraction, accuracy, etc.

No independent ballistic tests on Youtube yet, but I'm sure there will be some evals in the near future.
1 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:06 am

The ad is focused at the (wants a wisper) suppressor shooter where small (light weight) and fast is loud (supersonic) even with a suppressor. Heavy bullets give better terminal energy and are easier to shoot subsonic.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:35 pm

I like the idea of being able to pick up spent casings with a magnet.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:48 pm

JEBar wrote:interesting new product .... I wonder how the heavier bullets will impact felt recoil
I thought the same thing, especially about the 2.5-oz. 12-ga slug.
1 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:36 pm

It would be nice if eventually just the bullets became available. Be interesting to try them in reloads.
1 x

krunchnik
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by krunchnik » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:06 pm

One of the aspects of heavier ammo is also the feeding and cycling of the slide and magazine-with heavier weight bullets the magazine spring also has to be stronger to lift the extra weight of the bullets.There is a lot more to this than just adding weight to the projectile-powder burn times and slide timing also have to be part of the equation-heavier recoil springs and what not.
0 x
THE CROW