Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stupid question? I dunno...

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Stupid question? I dunno...

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:10 am

PT7 wrote:Appreciate the archive site link, Gunney.

I've briefly looked at it, and found one gun history book, which caught my interest: American Gun by Chris Kyle. Like the premise of this survey American history "represented" through ten American guns, from a flintlock to the sniper rifle he used in his job as a Navy SEAL. Kyle researched the firearms as relates to our history, and also shot each one. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks.
PT7
There's 2 issues of Kyles book on the site. One you can only "borrow", the other you can download and save. This is the one you can download in various formats:

https://archive.org/details/B-001-000-143/page/n7
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:14 am

GunnyGene wrote:
PT7 wrote:Appreciate the archive site link, Gunney.

I've briefly looked at it, and found one gun history book, which caught my interest: American Gun by Chris Kyle. Like the premise of this survey American history "represented" through ten American guns, from a flintlock to the sniper rifle he used in his job as a Navy SEAL. Kyle researched the firearms as relates to our history, and also shot each one. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks.
PT7
There's 2 issues of Kyles book on the site. One you can only "borrow", the other you can download and save. This is the one you can download in various formats:

https://archive.org/details/B-001-000-143/page/n7
PS: The archive does this with many of their holdings, so it pays to look around for duplicates that you don't have to get in line to borrow. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks for the link Gunny!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:01 pm

The 357 Maximum was, indeed, a revolver cartridge spawned by the sport of silhouette, back in the 80s. Both Dan Wesson and Ruger made revolvers for it that used extra long frames to accommodate the longer 357 Max cartridge. It became a very popular cartridge in the Contender and still is, to this day. Have owned a 357 Max Ruger and several 357 Max barrels for the Contender.

The 357 Max nearly went extinct because of a flame cutting problem on the top strap of the revolver. This was no inherent fault of the cartridge, however. It was caused by reloaders and even ammo companies offering 357 max loads using light 125 grain bullets, which greatly accelerated the problem. When used with the longer 158s or 180s, flame cutting on the top strap is no longer an issue with the Max. Sad to say, though, no one makes a 357 Max revolver, anymore.

Today, however, the Max is strictly a reloader's cartridge with no major ammo company offering it as a factory cartridge. Brass, though, is now available from Starline, last I heard.

The Max is a wonderful cartridge, by the way. Gets you up close to 44 mag energy levels without the recoil of a 44 mag. One of my first ever barrels for the 357 Max was a Contender. A friend who shot silhouette loaded the ammo for me. Great cartridge.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:49 pm

0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:05 pm

We have some local cartridge makers that load the 357, too. Doubt you'll ever see the biggies back to loading it, though.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:18 pm

The simple answer is because the newer round usually works at much higher pressure which would be dangerous in older firearms. To prevent the possibility the designers usually lengthen the case slightly to prevent it being chambered in older guns.

Most of the experimentation that lead to the 357 and 44 magnums was simply loading the 38 and 44 specials to what would be dangerous pressure levels in the majority of guns. Simple solution lengthen the case slightly to prevent the new loads being accidentally used in old guns.

The majority of straight walled pistol cartridges went through this progression even the humble 22lr

22 short/22long/22long rifle
32sw/32swl/32hr mag/327fm
38sw/38spl/357mag/357max
44spl/44mag
45colt/454/460

The 22 magnum is a similar progression being a lengthen 22 Winchester rimfire loaded to higher pressure.

The 327, 357max & 460 are all relative recent additions with the case lengthen significantly and loaded to similar pressure to most rifle rounds in a bid to maximise performance.

Like has been pointed out the calibre designation on the 32s, 38's and 44's is confusing. This came about because the original cases they were designed on used a healed bullet like the 22 so the outside diameter of the case was the same size as the bullet. When loaded with a non healed bullet to the same case size the bullet is significantly smaller.
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:43 pm

What a great discussion. I wondered where my S&W Long came from. It seems the 32 has a long and varied history. Thanks.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 pm

A very informative discussion. However you forgot the .44 American ,Russian and the .45 Scholfield and Auto rim.
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:46 am

Travlin wrote:A very informative discussion. However you forgot the .44 American ,Russian and the .45 Scholfield and Auto rim.
The american used a healed bullet so not really, the Russian for sure the 44 special and the rest did evolve from it.
The Schofield is interesting because the colt predates it, s&w schofields couldn't be chambered for the 45 colt so s&w pretty much shortened it to a length that would work in the Schofield.
1 x