Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stupid question? I dunno...

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Stupid question? I dunno...

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:49 pm

In new member "Brother Love's " post, he mentions and shows a 357 maximum, very long cartridge. Obviously, would not work in a revolver :? So, just wondering as an example, why will a 22 magnum not work in a 22 lr? I hope that's a reasonable question. If not, then just ignore.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Stupid question? I dunno...

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 pm

markiver54 wrote:In new member "Brother Love's " post, he mentions and shows a 357 maximum, very long cartridge. Obviously, would not work in a revolver :? So, just wondering as an example, why will a 22 magnum not work in a 22 lr? I hope that's a reasonable question. If not, then just ignore.

A lot of people ask that question. The answer is that a .22wmr case is a slightly larger diameter, and it won't fit in a .22lr chamber. Approx .241, vs approx .230. Conversely, a .22 lr in a .22mag chamber is likely to split when fired.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:08 pm

I didn't know the specific answer to your Q, Mark. Glad Gunney got after it.

One thing I'm definitely sure of is that "there is no stupid question."
How else would you learn without asking :?: :) :?:
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:14 pm

Thank you GunnyGene for a great explanation and thank you PT7 for your calming response!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:56 pm

markiver54 wrote:Thank you GunnyGene for a great explanation and thank you PT7 for your calming response!
The follow up question is usually "then why can you shoot .38 special in a .357 magnum, but not vice versa? " The answer there is that the .38 special bullet is .357 dia, (same as the .357 mag)and the cases are the same diameter, but different lengths. The .357 case being longer and therefore will not chamber in a .38 due to chamber depth, not case diameter. There's also a significant pressure difference between them. But you can fire a .38spc in a .357 chamber.

So why is a bullet that is .357 in dia. called a .38? Well, it gets even more interesting (and confusing for the uninitiated). Despite its name, the caliber of the .38 Special cartridge is actually .357 inches (36 caliber/9.07 mm), with the ".38" referring to the approximate diameter of the loaded brass case. This came about because the original .38-caliber cartridge, the .38 Short Colt, was designed for use in converted .36-caliber cap-and-ball Navy revolvers, which had cylindrical firing chambers of approximately 0.374-inch (9.5 mm) diameter, requiring heeled bullets, the exposed portion of which was the same diameter as the cartridge case.
4 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:13 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
markiver54 wrote:Thank you GunnyGene for a great explanation and thank you PT7 for your calming response!
The follow up question is usually "then why can you shoot .38 special in a .357 magnum, but not vice versa? " The answer there is that the .38 special bullet is .357 dia, (same as the .357 mag)and the cases are the same diameter, but different lengths. The .357 case being longer and therefore will not chamber in a .38 due to chamber depth, not case diameter. There's also a significant pressure difference between them. But you can fire a .38spc in a .357 chamber.

So why is a bullet that is .357 in dia. called a .38? Well, it gets even more interesting (and confusing for the uninitiated). Despite its name, the caliber of the .38 Special cartridge is actually .357 inches (36 caliber/9.07 mm), with the ".38" referring to the approximate diameter of the loaded brass case. This came about because the original .38-caliber cartridge, the .38 Short Colt, was designed for use in converted .36-caliber cap-and-ball Navy revolvers, which had cylindrical firing chambers of approximately 0.374-inch (9.5 mm) diameter, requiring heeled bullets, the exposed portion of which was the same diameter as the cartridge case.
Wow! Thanks again Gunny! As old as I am, these are things I've thought about but never asked. I'm glad I did now.!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:23 pm

markiver54 wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:

Wow! Thanks again Gunny! As old as I am, these are things I've thought about but never asked. I'm glad I did now.!!
This all kinda makes sense if you are into cap and ball revolvers and how they evolved into today's cartridges. In the above example, if you have a .36 cal Navy Colt cap and ball, you would use a .375" ball so that when you rammed it the sharp edge of the chamber will skin off a ring of lead and the ball will seat tightly in the chamber and still be large enough to pick up the rifling in the barrel.

I have a reproduction .44, and use a .457" ball for that reason.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:32 pm

Interesting indeed Gunny!! You should write a book. That is if you have not already. Thx!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:48 am

markiver54 wrote:Interesting indeed Gunny!! You should write a book. That is if you have not already. Thx!
:lol: There's hundreds of books that have been written on the subject, and even a TV series or 2. I doubt I could contribute anything new, but thx. Here's a site you can download (free) many of the books: https://archive.org/details/texts . Just search for "History of Firearms" in the search box.

I'm always fascinated by the sheer scientific and engineering genius that got us from a magic powder several hundred years ago to the firearms and ammo we take for granted today. Personally, I think that very first pile of black powder that was lit off was probably a "Hold my beer and watch this." moment. ;) :mrgreen:
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:59 am

Appreciate the archive site link, Gunney.

I've briefly looked at it, and found one gun history book, which caught my interest: American Gun by Chris Kyle. Like the premise of this survey American history "represented" through ten American guns, from a flintlock to the sniper rifle he used in his job as a Navy SEAL. Kyle researched the firearms as relates to our history, and also shot each one. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks.
PT7
1 x

~Пока~