Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stupid question? I dunno...

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Stupid question? I dunno...

Post by Travlin » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:37 pm

It got so that the Army issued the shorter .45 ammo that would fit the S&W and also the Colt S.A.A. Of course the auto rim .45 was made to use in the 1917 Colt and S&W revolvers that were chambered for the .45 A.C.P. so they could be used without the half moon clips.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:53 am

And don't forget the old 22 WRF (Winchester Rimfire and also the 22 Special), which can be shot in the 22 WMR (22 mag) chambers. Uses the same case diameter and bore diameter of the 22 mag, but is shorter than the 22 mag. Like the 22 mag, won't chamber in a 22 LR, though.

The old 22 WRF was the 22 Mag of its day. That was before the 22 LR HV loads were introduced, back when the only 22 LR load was the standard velocity load. When 22 LR HV loads were introduced just prior to WW II, pretty much made the 22 WRF obsolete, since the 22 LR HV came close, though not quite, duplicating the 22 WRF.

The 22 mag was introduced in 1959/60 to fill that role of a round with more power than the 22 LR HV.

Now and then I come across an old box of 22 WRF ammo. Can find the 22 WRF in some strange places, too. This last fall, for instance, I found a beautiful, lightly used Belgium Browning SA -22 (in 22 LR, of course), made in 1962. Took it home and, right away, stepped out into the yard to test fire it. Loaded the mag tube up with some CCI SV 22 LR ammo, then cycled the action, raised the rifle and pulled the trigger. Click. Nothing. Cycled the action, again and, Click. Nothing.

The ammo wasn't coming though the action to be cycled. Something was jammed, inside. Took the gun apart, removed the trigger assembly (easily done on the SA 22) and could see a round stuck back in the action, but I couldn't reach it to pry it loose. Removed the buttstock (the mag tube on the SA 22 is in the buttstock). Could see the base of an old Super X round stuck in the back of the receiver. This time I got it out and, to my surprise, it was an old 22 WRF round. Someone had tried to feed one through the gun, then apparently gave up when it jammed the gun, then stuck the gun away in a closet for who knows how long. Might have been the reason the little SA 22 was in such good shape. Their loss, my gain.

Happy ending, though. With that 22 WRF round cleared, the gun shot those 22 LR SVS just fine.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:22 am

Great story NCG, love those kind of deals, however, not having your experience, many including myself may not have discovered the problem. Cudos!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:33 pm

CCI still load the 22 wrf, you don't see it sitting on dealers shelves but it is available and cheaper than wmr ammo here in Aus.
0 x