Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

YOUR .22 ammo of choice.

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: YOUR .22 ammo of choice.

Post by roddy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:20 pm

I've always found the Federal "Champion" 525 round value pack to be a cheap and reliable plinking round. I believe they are around 1260 fps.
With that said, I hardly use anything beyond the sound barrier in my .22 LR rifles anymore...If I want more juice, I'll reach for a .22 WMR. As others have mentioned, the CCI Standard Velocity is a good one. I've had great luck with CCI's subsonic segmented hollow point round as well. I am a plinker, and none of my .22s are properly set up to take advantage of the various "match" rounds available. I think I have one package of Eley ammunition (Force), and even it isn't a "premium" round.

In my little break-barrel single shot, I have a hoot shooting Shorts, CCI Quiet .22s, and Aguila Super Colibris.
3 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Aguila pistol and rifle match are both great in my Henry. Just like Roddy, I don't shoot any supersonic rounds in my 22s anymore.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Likin' the answers here. It seems for the most part, we're plinkers with our .22's. When out in the desert, I'll shoot 20-30 rounds thru whatever rifle/handgun I take[centerfire], then, about 50 .22's. Love the darn things. And with prices coming WAY down from what they were, more fun.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Me too.
Bugs wrote:CCI Mini Mags for me.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:10 pm

I would say CCI Mini Mags would dominate the 22 ammo stash with some CCI Quiet, CCI Standard Velocity, Winchester Super-X and some Federal of some type mixed in.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:28 pm

I can't say I have a lot of experience with different ammo as when I got my .22 there was a great sale on some Win. 36 grain, hollow points, copper plated,1280 FPS. I bought a lot of it, I mean a LOT of it. A year later I am still shooting it. I can not complain. It is accurate enough for me. I just plink.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:30 pm

I shot Remington Golden Bullet HP out of my Frontier. It is about the cheapest plinking ammunition I found in my area. Resting my elbows on a picnic table in my back yard I was able to consistently shoot 1" groups at 50 meters with the Golden Bullet cartridges. Golden Bullet groups opened up to 5" at 100 meters. The bullets might be running out of gas at that distance.

I sold the Frontier and just ordered a Golden Boy, because I like the way they look. I'll report back if accuracy is not the same with the Golden Boy.
0 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:44 pm

Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Flinch!
KCMO.jpg
KCMO.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
Trust you'll really like the Golden Boy. No doubt about it. That Henry is a "looker" for sure. And I hope the accuracy is even better for you. Enjoy-enjoy! :)
PT7

Flinch wrote:I shot Remington Golden Bullet HP out of my Frontier. It is about the cheapest plinking ammunition I found in my area. Resting my elbows on a picnic table in my back yard I was able to consistently shoot 1" groups at 50 meters with the Golden Bullet cartridges. Golden Bullet groups opened up to 5" at 100 meters. The bullets might be running out of gas at that distance.

I sold the Frontier and just ordered a Golden Boy, because I like the way they look. I'll report back if accuracy is not the same with the Golden Boy.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:52 pm

Flinch wrote:I shot Remington Golden Bullet HP out of my Frontier. It is about the cheapest plinking ammunition I found in my area. Resting my elbows on a picnic table in my back yard I was able to consistently shoot 1" groups at 50 meters with the Golden Bullet cartridges. Golden Bullet groups opened up to 5" at 100 meters. The bullets might be running out of gas at that distance.

Welcome to the forum from CT, Flinch. I look forward to reading about your new Golden Boy and reviews of 22 LR ammo.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:12 pm

What is interesting is that Wolf Match Target 40g RNL did not group much better at 50 meters. I never installed a scope on the Frontier and used iron sights to shoot groups. I did not shoot Wolf MT out of my Frontier at 100 meters.

Given the cost difference I save the Wolf MT for shooting matches with my scoped bolt action rifle.
2 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers