Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Self defense ammo in my 2" .38 Special

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Self defense ammo in my 2" .38 Special

Post by Blackdog » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:57 am

I have a Taurus 85 2" stainless +P revolver that I sometimes carry.
I want a factory load that I can depend on, should I ever need the little revolver.
My 1911 has some old Winchester Black Talon ammo in it. I know they don't call it that now, what is it's new name and is it a suggested defense round?
Or, should I look for something newer.
Michael

PS: No hand loads in self defense - my best friend is a lawyer and advises against any hand load for self defense. (not because of performance, because of legal issues - "you made a bullet to kill someone?")
M
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Self defense ammo in my 2" .38 Special

Post by GFK » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:24 am

I like JHP. Lately, I have been purchasing Hornady:

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/handgun/#!/
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:55 am

My SD revolver is a Ruger LCR .38 Special + P with 3" barrel. My preference is a non +P, BHA 125gr JHP ammo. I think Black Hills is a great brand, and it performs well out of my LCR. And agree with your lawyer friend, Blackdog, on never having reloads in an HD firearm. Sage advice.
PT7
Blackdog wrote:I have a Taurus 85 2" stainless +P revolver that I sometimes carry.
I want a factory load that I can depend on, should I ever need the little revolver.
My 1911 has some old Winchester Black Talon ammo in it. I know they don't call it that now, what is it's new name and is it a suggested defense round?
Michael

PS: No hand loads in self defense - my best friend is a lawyer and advises against any hand load for self defense. (not because of performance, because of legal issues - "you made a bullet to kill someone?")
M
0 x

~Пока~

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:03 pm

My personal preference in handguns with a short barrel is to use a load that can be effective yet easily controlled. Those little monsters can really hammer your hand. I use a 110 gr jhp bullet with 4.5 gr of Bulleseye or 6.0 gr of PowerPistol. I really don't mind carrying reloads for self defense. Empty the gun and who's to know?
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Blackdog wrote:I have a Taurus 85 2" stainless +P revolver that I sometimes carry.
Michael

M
I think he's pulling your leg. Does he not know that any bullet (hand load or otherwise) can kill? And you do have feral hogs in TX that are known to attack people sometimes, right?

If he was my lawyer, friend or not, I'd fire him for giving that kind of "advice".
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:01 pm

This same question was posed on Marlin's site as well. I typically try to keep in mind backdrop. In houses and apartments, bullets can go through walls. Out in the woods, it probably doesn't matter as much. When the dust settles, the real fight probably starts. Just my 2 cent.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/hand ... loads.html
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:14 pm

GFK wrote:This same question was posed on Marlin's site as well. I typically try to keep in mind backdrop. In houses and apartments, bullets can go through walls. Out in the woods, it probably doesn't matter as much. When the dust settles, the real fight probably starts. Just my 2 cent.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/hand ... loads.html
Load to SAAMI specs and the prosecutions argument collapses. Besides there are many reasons why people reload - primarily to save money, or as a hobby. Arguing that a person reloads out of an intent to cause harm is specious and easily countered, and any lawyer trying to make that case will only make a fool of himself.

My carry ammo (9mm) is 135gr +P Hornady Critical Duty. 17rds +1 in the pipe, and sometimes with 2 extra mags on my belt. Why CD? Because it shoots well in my Ruger, and I get a significant discount on it at my LGS. And yes, it will stop a threat if I do my part, which is why I practice with it regularly. So why do I practice regularly? Because I'm 74yo, can't fight off or outrun the typical bad guy anymore, and I can't carry a cop.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:25 pm

I must be missing something. My point was and is that we are responsible for every round released from a firearm. We can all choose our own poison. I wasn't disagreeing with anyone. I was simply stating that every round may not be suitable for every situation. Hence, the reason for some many to choose from. I agree, it is best to practice as often as you can. But, the best weapon is between one's ears. Just my 2 cent.
Last edited by GFK on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:38 pm

I carry Hornadys self defense ammo in my LCRX 38. I think its a 110 with the red tip. I have also heard the same thing about reloaded ammo and it wasnt from a lawyer it was from people who are teaching CCW classes here in Colorado.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:27 am

GFK wrote:I must be missing something. My point was and is that we are responsible for every round released from a firearm. We can all choose our own poison. I wasn't disagreeing with anyone. I was simply stating that every round may not be suitable for every situation. Hence, the reason for some many to choose from. I agree, it is best to practice as often as you can. But, the best weapon is between one's ears. Just my 2 cent.
No argument with any of that. :)
1 x