Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leverevollution ammo

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
PATOKARI
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Leverevollution ammo

Post by PATOKARI » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:13 pm

I have used Hornady Leverevolutions in my BBS44M since it was new and I have never had an issue with them at all. By the way they group real nice in mine. Now some bad news, I went to the range today to break in my brand new BBS357M and naturally I brought the 357 Leverevolution ammo. I shot 4 with pulling a dry boresnake thru the barrel in between each one. Then after my 5th shot the empty ejected just fine but the next catridge from the mag jambed up real tight. Damn thing was like 1/2 in and 1/2 out. I couldn't budge the lever handle either direction. Home I went to tap out the live round. I am concerned that the pointy leverevolutions might be problematic in the 357 because the magazine tube is exactly the same size as the 44M. I feel that could be too much play for the pointed cartridges. I will be trying other hollow point cartridges but I sure have a lot of confidence with the leverevolutions in my BBS44M. Literally between 500-750 rounds with not one hickup.
0 x
HENRY! Hold it - Point it - Shoot It ; YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE ONE FROM THERE ON!
BBS-44M, BBS-357M, SLA-3030

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:14 pm

first, have you been able to relieve the jam ..?.. Hornady is a good company .... I use several pieces of their reloading equipment and have gotten good results from loading some of their XTP bullets .... I'm not a fan of their LEVERevolution ammo or bullets .... we only fire our reloads so I cannot recommend any commercial brands .... what I can say is our Henry 357 has proven to work well with every different bullet we have tried .... 158 gr excels
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:28 pm

our Henry 357 has proven to work well with every different bullet we have tried .... 158 gr excels
I have to concur - EVERYTHING I have loaded for my BBB .357 feeds slicker 'en snot!

You did not specify where the jam took place however I am assuming by '1/2 in and 1/2 out' you mean in the chamber?

IF this is NOT correct please specify where the jam took place.

I have no personal experience with the LE bullets as I have never loaded ammo with them but they should NOT be a cause for any jamming.
0 x

PATOKARI
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by PATOKARI » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:55 pm

I was able to use a small flat punch and small brass hammer and tapped the cartridge out. Yeah I know thats scary stuff but it worked a little at a time.The factory Leverevolution cartridge was jambed 1/2 in 1/2 out of the magazine. It did not get clear to make it to the chamber. I know somebody is going to tell me that I need to learn how to jack the lever on a Henry but guys I do know how. I have much experience with my 30-30 and 44M. All I'm saying is that the factory Leverevolutions are absolutely perfect in my 44M but not so in my new 357M. When I checked further I miked the 357M leverevolution cartridges, an A-Zoom snap cap, and a factory Federal 158Gr JHP and found that the Lev round was shorter from base to tip. I reload a lot of 44M using Lev bullets and they have always ran perfect in my 44. I wonder if I should leave the bullet out a bit on the 357M when I get dies and start reloading them? I just can't imagine that the cartridges exit the magazine as straight as they do in the 44M because the mag tubes are the same diameter for 44M and 357M? Don't get me wrong....I'm a huge Henry and Hornady Leverevolution fan. I'm just concerned that my 357M is going to be troublesome. If so I'll likely use flat HP's. Any input is appreciated!
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:03 pm

are you loading the LEVERevolution bullets into Hornady's LEVERevolution brass .. :?:
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:04 pm

That ammo is very expensive here. Have not tried it. Will stick with lead.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PATOKARI
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by PATOKARI » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:44 am

The 357M cartridges are new from Hornady. I don't have enough brass yet to reload 357M.
I have loaded all of my 44M in Hornady brass using Hornady FTX and Nosler HP and they run great.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:07 am

you may or may not be aware that in most (if not all) the brass Hornady uses to load its LEVERevolution bullets is shorter than standard length .... this is only true for LEVERevolution bullets .... it is widely reported that care should be exercised in making sure to make sure the specialty LEVERevolution bullets are reloaded into the corresponding cases .... in short, its best not to mix them
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:20 am

JEBar wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:07 am
you may or may not be aware that in most (if not all) the brass Hornady uses to load its LEVERevolution bullets is shorter than standard length .... this is only true for LEVERevolution bullets .... it is widely reported that care should be exercised in making sure to make sure the specialty LEVERevolution bullets are reloaded into the corresponding cases .... in short, its best not to mix them
I haven't found that to be the case with .41mag. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:00 am

I wasn't aware that they offered LEVERevolution in 41 Mag
0 x