Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hunting with Copper Bullets

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Hunting with Copper Bullets

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:51 pm

if I ever decided to hunt with a solid copper bullet, I would use Nosler's E-Tips ===> https://www.nosler.com/e-tip-lead-free-bullet .... the link provides good info on the E-Tips .... by scrolling down to the "Optimum Performance Velocity" section, you can find some interesting info on bullet weight retention .... the links below aren't the best I've seen but they do provide some basic info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTbNG2UoJAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzOSovvByT4
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Here in Ca., we've been under the no lead ban in what is called the "Condor zone". Roughly about 1/4 of the state. Starting 7/1/2019 there will be a state wide ban on lead for all hunting. Everything. So far, target shooting isn't affected. So far. While I no longer hunt big game in Ca., it has affected upland bird hunting. So, I went with steel shot two years ago to get ready for 2019. All this hassle over a stinking vulture that was selected by nature to become extinct because it could not adapt like EVERY other carrion scrounger out there. Only the Ca condor has this issue. Nature had a plan, mankind intervened. Rant over.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:09 am

JEBar wrote:if I ever decided to hunt with a solid copper bullet, I would use Nosler's E-Tips ===> https://www.nosler.com/e-tip-lead-free-bullet .... the link provides good info on the E-Tips .... by scrolling down to the "Optimum Performance Velocity" section, you can find some interesting info on bullet weight retention .... the links below aren't the best I've seen but they do provide some basic info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTbNG2UoJAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzOSovvByT4
I've been looking for the optimal deer/pig bullet. I have 300 grain TSX FN for my 45-70 but I'd like something without that lob of a trajectory.

.243 has twist issues with many of the Cooper bullets.

30-30 has some choices but the effective distance is cut to 100yard.

35rem has a possible with a 140grain 357 all copper from Lehigh. It looks like it has a 35 caliber meplat.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:02 pm

I just received an email from Shooter's Pro Shop saying that they have just gotten in a limited shipment of Nosler 180 gr 30 caliber E-Tip Blems (see link below) .... these Blems have cosmetic flaws but perform in all respects identical to their first line bullets .... SPS has them priced at $21.45 for 50 .... Cabela's prices the same first line T-Tips $38.99 .... for me these will be placed in stock to be loaded if/when I need deep penetrating, 30 caliber hunting bullets .... out of our 300 WBY Mag, they should be a devastating round

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-p ... -50ct.html
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:I've been looking for the optimal deer/pig bullet.

back in the mid 60's when I was searching for bear, boar and to lesser degree deer rifle, I settled on 30 caliber .... as one who loaded his own hunting and practice ammo, that was an easy choice .... back then and I still believe its true today, across the board most companies offered a wider range of bullets in 30 caliber than in any other caliber .... as such, I built a collection the included a 30-30, 308, 30-06, and 300 WBY .... with the 30-30 & 308 I decided to use 150 gr bullets, in the 30-06 to use 165 gr bullets, and in the 300 to use 180 gr .... the 30-30 didn't really fit with the the others because it requires round nose bullets .... when SPS gets 150 & 168 gr E-Tips back in stock I hope to pick up a few boxes of each to be loaded if/when appropriate for hunting .... the E-Tips work well with a rifle sighted in for Nosler's Ballistic Tips which are cheaper and with I load for range use
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:38 pm

I like everything about the Nosler Etip for 30-30. And the price for the blems is attractive.
This is speaking about California hunting.
I have a son in Texas. We may get it together and I feel I can depended on the different lead bullets in what ever configuration I already throw.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:20 pm

attractive indeed .... as noted earlier in this thread, I'm neither hot or cold on the case against lead hunting bullets .... what I am sold on is the deep penetration and general performance of the E-Tips .... historically, Nosler's Partition has been a benchmark in bullet penetration ... I believe that the E-Tip offers even better penetration with higher weight retention .... I am somewhat in awe of that level of performance
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:47 pm

Just picked up a couple more boxes of these from my LGC.

$23
Attachments
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (95.07 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 pm

that speed should turn the bullet into a hand grenade
2 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Got a small order of bullets from Midway today.
Some jacketed for the 35rem and a box of Nosler Etips for 30-30.
The Etips really look like they will do the job. No
Not that I do much hunting but now I feel prepared for the occasion.
0 x
Pax at Justitia