Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.22LR ammo -- Ya don't need to often clean the bore.

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: .22LR ammo -- Ya don't need to often clean the bore.

Post by PT7 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:00 pm

With the different preferences for "to clean or not to clean," I learned much in this thread so far. Appreciate all the comments and good info. When I started this thread with the comments those HighRoad Folk made in 2011, I didn't even realize the "not to clean" approach was out there. Learning something new everyday regularly happens on our Henry Forum. Thanks to all.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:49 pm

This where I'm at too. After taking a pot shot or a few at the nutria, I usually don't clean until I feel like I've put out enough rounds that it should be cleaned or time since last cleaning makes me feel guilty. Exception is after shooting at the range, then I've put enough rounds down range to warrant cleaning when I'm done.
BigAl52 wrote:Im not one to clean every time I shoot either. Depends on the amount of rounds I shoot even in centerfire. If I only shoot 50 to 100 rounds I usually wait until the next time or two especially if I am just plinking clays on the bank.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:19 am

I put a few thousand rounds down range every month or so. I was taught at a very young age to clean after every outing. My father wouldn't have it any other way. Now many years later 40+ I still sit down and clean my guns. I am not too aggressive cleaning the bore as I only use patches 80% of the time. I do like a clean bolt face and tend to oil everything real well. I use CLP most of the time.
As far as ammo I use CCI and Federal most of the time.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:48 am

It amazes me with all these opinions on cleaning or not cleaning no one ever seems to mention the "dreaded carbon ring" which is a killer on 22 accuracy and notorious for being the cause of the first shot flyer. Maybe that is why I have little to zero problems with the first shot flyer because I clean my rifles more often. The chamber and just a head of it should be cleaned for better results with your 22's. They even make special tools just for removing the carbon ring. If you don't want to clean your barrel you should at least keep up with keeping the carbon ring at bay.
1 x

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:41 am

Good point Bandit1250, Not mine but I made one like it.
Attachments
CHM1C.jpg
CHM1C.jpg (139.14 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
1 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Lyman wrote:I put a few thousand rounds down range every month or so. I was taught at a very young age to clean after every outing. My father wouldn't have it any other way. Now many years later 40+ I still sit down and clean my guns. I am not too aggressive cleaning the bore as I only use patches 80% of the time. I do like a clean bolt face and tend to oil everything real well. I use CLP most of the time.
As far as ammo I use CCI and Federal most of the time.
I have a friend that will clean rifles taken to the range which weren’t even fired. To him it is just part of the joys of shooting. That was when he was 16. He joined the Army in 2004 as a small arms repair. He is now an E-7 and in charge of battalion maintenance. He still follows that same rule if taken to the field it gets cleaned immediately upon return regardless of whether it was used.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:35 am

I shoot lever action silhouette. I use a Henry .2LR, a Henry .22 Magnum and #3 is a Winchester 30-30. My normal routine is to pull a dry patch through the bore at the end of the match, clean the outsides and wipe down the exposed parts of the action. I'll clean the 30-30 with #9 till I get clean patches. The .22 Mag gets one pass with #9 and a dry patch. The .22LR gets no further cleaning.

NONE of my rifles will fire the first shot on-target. They all want to be fowled before they settle in and shoot point of aim.

Once a year I scrub the bore of all three with JB Bore paste or Remington Bore paste. This takes them down to metal, so I have to carefully refowl each of them to bring them back to competition level - typically 50 rounds each will do the trick.

In my experience a clean rifle is not as accurate as one that has been fowled before the "Money Shot."

Your mileage may vary.

M
2 x

BobGinVA
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BobGinVA » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:59 am

Blackdog....I usually hesitate to "say" anything on Henry forums as most of the folks have a tendency to care too much what their rifles look like...whereas, I'm pretty sure you and I care a whole bunch more how they shoot...I shoot lever gun silh. also...rim fire and pistol cartridge (PC)..(our club is in the process of setting up the big bore 200 meter range this next year). I made Master in both the rimfire and PC a whole bunch of years ago with a Marlin 39a and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45C. I still shoot the 45C, but switched to the Henry H0001TLB with the Williams TK rear and a Lyman 17A in the front...we actually had a match this past Sat...weather was a crisp 24F when we started, but no wind...only shot 30/40 with the 45C, but did something with the Henry I hadn't done before...shot a 38/40...missing 1 turkey and 1 ram...I use standard Vel for everything but the rams...where I use high vel...I actually hope some more of the folks on this sight start shooting this discipline as it truly is a HOOT! BobGinVA
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Lyman wrote:Good point Bandit1250, Not mine but I made one like it.
I had a rifle that shot around corners that took a brush like that.
:D
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Joe.45
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Joe.45 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:55 am

I run boresnake a couple of times after every 800 or 1K rounds. It has worked for 20 years, no issues.
1 x
Si vis pacem, para bellum!
H006M; H006MR; H001T; H004; another H001T