Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.357 Ring of Fire -- New cartridge out there

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
PT7
Drover
United States of America

.357 Ring of Fire -- New cartridge out there

Post by PT7 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:16 am

Interesting. Not a gun, but a new cartridge.
Unlike the Coonan, which is semi-auto pistol designed in .357 magnum caliber, this is simply a new cartridge in the works.
The article's opening line:
Impressive .357 Mag. performance from a semi-automatic pistol is possible with the .357 Ring of Fire.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/art ... g-of-fire/
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: .357 Ring of Fire -- New cartridge out there

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:36 am

Interesting. Thanks, PT. Actually it's a wildcat cartridge, not a new cartridge, as in a new cartridge being introduced by one of the ammo manufacturers. Being a wildcat, you'd have to have an existing gun re-chambered for it, then load ammo yourself with the proper dies.

Personally, I don't give it much of a chance of it ever being made into a standard, over the counter cartridge, though. Attempts by the ammo and gun industry to produce a 357 like semi-auto cartridge have been met with low sales. The 10mm has been the most successful, but even the 10 almost went extinct for a time. It's gone though a recent resurgence in popularity, though, as an effective outdoor semi-auto cartridge for self-defense against toothy critters and even some hunting. I know a couple guys, up here, who carry Glocks in a 10 for bear defense. It's now something of a niche cartridge, though. Not going to see a big rush for folks who carry 9mm or 45 auto to trade their guns for a 10.

I do like the 10mm, though. Have owned a 10 in a 1911 and a Sig. Great cartridge if you want that kind of firepower in a bottom loader. Very accurate in the ones I shot. Recoil in a full size auto wasn't bad, at all. The 10mm is the real thing as far as taking you into 357 mag countries far as power, even with factory ammo. The 357 Ring of Fire would have to offer something significantly better in terms of performance to beat the 10, now. Just don't see it.

Other 357-like semi auto cartridges, though, have been mostly duds. The 357 Sig, for instance, is barely hanging on.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:05 pm

Interesting, also for the 3rd post. I learned something new as I've not heard of a "wildcat cartridge" before.
Cool distinction between that and a "standard, over the counter cartridge."
North Country Gal wrote:Interesting. Thanks, PT. Actually it's a wildcat cartridge, not a new cartridge....
0 x

~Пока~

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:12 pm

North Country Gal wrote:I

Other 357-like semi auto cartridges, though, have been mostly duds. The 357 Sig, for instance, is barely hanging on.
My first Sig purchase was a P229 in .357 Sig. I really like it. It shoots very well for me with medium loads. I have four Sigs in my carry rotation: P220, P229 in .357 Sig, P229 in 9mm, and a P224 (.40 cal).
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:54 pm

PT, wildcat cartridges have a long and interesting history with folks that reload and are always seeking to design a better cartridge. Some of them have been pretty amazing. Most wildcat cartridges never make the transition to being a commercial cartridge, as I mentioned, but some very famous cartridges did start out as wildcat cartridges developed by private individuals. One of my favorites, for instance, is the 257 Roberts. Ned Roberts and others necked down a 7x57 Mauser to 25 caliber back in the 1920s and called it the 25 Roberts. Remington then picked it up, commercially, and renamed it the 257 Roberts in the 1930s. Jack O'Connor loved it and did a lot to promote it as the first dual purpose deer/varmint cartridge. Others include the 25-06, 22-250, 35 Whelen to name just a few.
2 x

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 am

It is interesting how some wildcats catch on and become standard offerings ( 7mm08, 25-06, 35 Whelen, 257 Bob, etc) and some do not( my favorite the 7x30 Waters and the interesting 7mmSTE). I think timing has a lot to do with their success or failure. The Winchester BB’s( 307,356 and 375W) are good examples. They were introduced at a time when bolt actions and belted magnums were all the rage and leverguns were being looked over. As far as handgun cartridges go, the 357/44 Bain & Davis is one that should have caught on, but the move from revolvers to semi-auto pistols probably had a lot to do with it fading into obscurity. Wildcats in general are a very interesting topic.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 am

Shawlerbrook, Glad I posted this thread not knowing that the .357 Ring of Fire is a wildcat. Of all the cartridges you noted, the only one I have minimally read about is the 35 Whelen.

And you and others have provided other very interesting comments, which are adding to my firearms knowledge. In your post you mentioned a "belted magnum." Had to fire up the 'ole search engine. Although I've read quite a lot about the British gunmaker's production designs, Holland & Holland, this "belted magnum design originated with them for the purpose of headspacing certain more powerful cartridges." Often when I read Forum commentary, there is something new to chase and learn about.

Back on thread target, I think you're right that wildcats make interesting reading. Plan to look for more info about them.
Thanks for your post.
PT7
Shawlerbrook wrote:It is interesting how some wildcats catch on and become standard offerings ( 7mm08, 25-06, 35 Whelen, 257 Bob, etc) and some do not( my favorite the 7x30 Waters and the interesting 7mmSTE). I think timing has a lot to do with their success or failure. The Winchester BB’s( 307,356 and 375W) are good examples. They were introduced at a time when bolt actions and belted magnums were all the rage and leverguns were being looked over. As far as handgun cartridges go, the 357/44 Bain & Davis is one that should have caught on, but the move from revolvers to semi-auto pistols probably had a lot to do with it fading into obscurity. Wildcats in general are a very interesting topic.
1 x

~Пока~