Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

LeverEvolution in .41 Mag BBS Carbine

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

LeverEvolution in .41 Mag BBS Carbine

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:32 pm

Decided to try out this 190gr FTX offering from Hornady. Searched the forum for any pros or cons on this round in .41 mag, but no joy. I'll run a few rounds later this week, but would like to hear from anyone who has used it in this caliber. Did it perform well? Any complaints? :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: LeverEvolution in .41 Mag BBS Carbine

Post by ESquared » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:17 pm

Wish I could help you, but will definitely follow this thread, as there doesn't seem to be much love for the LeverEvolution here, and I'm not sure why. Seems like I've read where some guys have had decent groupings (can't remember the caliber, sorry) and others not so much. Could very well be the old trial and error of different ammo in any given rifle to see what works best, doing what you can to take the other variables out of any kind of "testing" you might do, which is often the hard part.
Please keep us posted!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:36 pm

Sorry, I know 'not a bit about it' either.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:23 pm

A portion of a post I made in another thread about LE ammo. Caliber is different but the effect is the same:
My opinion of the LeverEvolution ammo is it is an answer to a problem that does not exist. It was designed for hunting and while it might show some advantages for this I do not believe there are enough to overcome the additional cost and potential poor accuracy in a particular rifle.
The the 30-30 has 'built in' limitations by virtue of the design of the rifle it was ORIGINALLY made for and most understand this and work within those parameters instead of trying to eek out a little more distance with questionable ammo.
Pick (or reload) a round that shoots well in your rifle and practice at the distance you plan to use it for and you will be ahead in both money and satisfaction.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:56 pm

I used some of it in my 45-70 and it shot very well. I load 45-70 and while I havent pursed it because of time factor at the time of testing loads I used it for hunting one year. As I recall also it wasnt that much more price wise than any of the other 45-70 ammo I looked at.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. :) It seems nobody has tried the ammo out in the .41, so I reckon I'm the guinea pig. Went out this morning, and was very pleased with the ammo (50yds). Cycled well, and more accurate than I am these days. Had to make a couple small scope adjustments from using the Underwood 210gr XTP, which I expected, but after that, here is the result of 14 rounds (what remained in the box) on a separate target. The 3 fliers outside the 2" bull were me. I'll be going back right 1 click for the next session. Really need to cut back on the caffeine. ;)

2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:46 am

Nice! Really wiped out the center of that one. Curious, how hard is it to find .41 ammo? My LGS doesn't carry it.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:14 pm

Mags wrote:Nice! Really wiped out the center of that one. Curious, how hard is it to find .41 ammo? My LGS doesn't carry it.
My regular LGS usually has it on the shelf since there are quite few folks who shoot .41 mag around here, either revolver or rifle. It's popular with the hog hunters especially. Don't think they sell on-line, but you could call and ask I reckon. I pay about $18/20rds. I don't reload tho, so please don't bother to recommend that. :)

https://www.facebook.com/Garys.Pawn.and.Gun.Columbus

I have seen the caliber on various on-line sellers sometimes, but I don't buy ammo on line.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:24 pm

That's a decent price for a caliber I perceive from here as scarce. Common centerfire here runs around $16-$25 for a box of 20. So for .41 not a bad price at all. I don't buy online either. Not ready to trust online ammo dealers with my CC or address or anything else. I don't reload earlier. Too much investment to get started and takes too much time and devotion for it that I don't have. I also learned my lesson from another topic not to offer suggestions.
GunnyGene wrote:
Mags wrote:Nice! Really wiped out the center of that one. Curious, how hard is it to find .41 ammo? My LGS doesn't carry it.
GunnyGene wrote: ... I pay about $18/20rds. I don't reload tho, so please don't bother to recommend that. :)
I have seen the caliber on various on-line sellers sometimes, but I don't buy ammo on line.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:58 pm

GunnyGene wrote:Thanks for the feedback, y'all. :) It seems nobody has tried the ammo out in the .41, so I reckon I'm the guinea pig. Went out this morning, and was very pleased with the ammo (50yds). Cycled well, and more accurate than I am these days. Had to make a couple small scope adjustments from using the Underwood 210gr XTP, which I expected, but after that, here is the result of 14 rounds (what remained in the box) on a separate target. The 3 fliers outside the 2" bull were me. I'll be going back right 1 click for the next session. Really need to cut back on the caffeine. ;)
I use the FTX bullets in my Marlin 1894 .44 mag and really like them. I loaded up some .357 FTX 140 gr over 13 gr Accurate No. 9 and some with 7.8 gr True Blue to see which one my new Winchester 1892 likes better. I haven't used the factory loads but find the FTX to be a good choice for my Marlin. I wonder if Hornady will come up with a .312 FTX bullet for those of us with .327 Federal Mag Henry's.
0 x