Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

LeverEvolution in .41 Mag BBS Carbine

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: LeverEvolution in .41 Mag BBS Carbine

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:11 am

Mistered wrote:Reality is in a pistol caliber rifle a hard cast bullet may not give up much to a jacketed bullet do to the fact of unreliable expansion. The jacketed bullet can of course be loaded to a higher velocity than cast but pistol bullets loose velocity rapidly and expansion may not be consistent, if at all even with a jacketed bullet. Some of the new hard cast mfgs. are now guaranteeing no leading at velocities previously unheard of with soft cast bullets and plated bullets can be loaded to nearly maximum velocities. With deer size game, at reasonable range and good bullet placement a hard cast or plated bullet will most likely be nearly as (or as) effective as a jacketed bullet.
I've got my stand set up & rifle is ready. I'll be shooting 190gr LeveRevolution this season (1 Dec opener) at around 40-75 yds. I have a small herd that lives on my property, so I expect I'll bag one or 2. I'll let y'all know how that round performs. I expect it will do just fine. :)
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:14 am

Redthies wrote:
Vaquero wrote:
Redthies wrote:Gracias Vaquero. I have 158 gr jsp and Leverevolution 140 gr. I’ll see which the rifle likes better!
Good luck sir, and let us know which it prefers.
What model 357 do you own?

RP
BBS Carbine. Same as this threads title but with easier to find ammo. I shot the AE 158s and the HSM 180 grain bear loads today. Just a few rounds of each to see if I could get it in a 4-5” circle at 60 yards free handed. I put 4 out of 5 of the 158s inside a 4” circle and 3 of the 180s. That’s without really trying at all, and shooting as fast as I could cycle it. Which wasn’t very fast as the first round out of the tube would not feed with either ammo. 5 rounds loaded in the mag each time. I wasn’t thrilled with that I must say, and will investigate further...
Glad you had a chance to shoot her. Could be the bullet design.
Don't shoot much factory ammo these days.
4 out of 5 sounds like some good shootin to me.
Hope you figure out the loading issue.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:20 am

Mistered wrote:Reality is in a pistol caliber rifle a hard cast bullet may not give up much to a jacketed bullet do to the fact of unreliable expansion. The jacketed bullet can of course be loaded to a higher velocity than cast but pistol bullets loose velocity rapidly and expansion may not be consistent, if at all even with a jacketed bullet. Some of the new hard cast mfgs. are now guaranteeing no leading at velocities previously unheard of with soft cast bullets and plated bullets can be loaded to nearly maximum velocities. With deer size game, at reasonable range and good bullet placement a hard cast or plated bullet will most likely be nearly as (or as) effective as a jacketed bullet.
All of my pistol caliber rifles shoot cast, except the Henry 44, as I haven't found the right load for it.
My 41 Mag Henry hasn't even seen a jacketed boolit since I purchase it.
I do cast most of my own.
Powder coating most, and yes you can up the velocity with those, but
I don't much, as I don't really see the need.
A 240+ gr grain bullet travlin between 800 to 1100 fps is no slouch.

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012

Bms
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Bms » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:19 pm

I’ve shot the leverlution out of my 30-30, never will buy it again, grouping was not very good, the one near I shot with it (50) yds never found it, read wear others had a problem with expansion. What I learned was, use the gun and ammo as designed.
2 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:26 am

Redthies wrote:Gracias Vaquero. I have 158 gr jsp and Leverevolution 140 gr. I’ll see which the rifle likes better!
Thought I’d follow up on this. I had a chance to shoot a box of Leverevolution yesterday, along with more of the AE 158 grn sjsp and I found the AE was considerably more accurate out of my gun. But this was not off a rest, and with iron sights. I’ve dropped from the .090 to the .070 aperture on the rear to see if that helps or hurts.
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:44 am

Little late to the thread. But, I have had decent results with the leverevolutions out of my bbb .41 not superb accuracy by any means, but I also shoot iron sights so some of that could be attributed to myself. I would feel comfortable hunting deer with them, and planned to until I came across a box of Speer gold dot handgun hunters in .41, and they shoot excellently. I shot a few and reserved the rest as I find it unlikely I’ll ever find another box of them. On the other hand, I had good results with the Hornady custom 210 gr xtp. I shot a box of them, and have not been able to find any more around me since. But, in your area if you can get your hands on them, speed gold dots and hornady xtp .41 are two great factory rounds I have discovered. If you are into shooting cast, the hsm bear loads shoot very well out of my Henry, and definitely have some stopping power.
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 am

JayZuv wrote:I had good results with the Hornady custom 210 gr xtp.
they are readily available from places like Cabela's but they are expensive --- 99.9 cents a shot ..... the best price I've seen is a bulk buy from Carolina Munitions, $136.44 for 200 rounds which equals 68.2 cents a shot

https://carolinamunitions.com/hornady-9 ... aid=as0004
0 x

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:04 am

Good info, unfortunately being in NY I run into the same problem quite often. Nearly all online ammo sites will not ship to NY. For anyone who is wondering tho, buds will ship ammo right to my door without any problems
1 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Yesterday I found a partial box of 250 gr Cor-bons in the back of the safe.
I load for the 41 so these have been here a while.
So I thought I'd try them out in the Henry.
Wow. Now I was shooting at the cross at the bottom so they were higher than some loads I've been working on.
But what a group, made a small adjustment afterwards that's why the one whole by the cross.
Got 9 left, thinking this will be good for a deer or two.

RP
Attachments
1A.jpg
1A.jpg (62.23 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
0 x

H001, H006, H012

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:38 pm

I went through a box of LeveRevolution 30-30 in my H009CCH and it was at the bottom of the list, accuracy-wise, out of about 6 different brands (all with 150 gr, LeveRevolution was at 160 gr). AND, it was the most problematic inside the magazine tube. The plunger rod got hung up constantly, which I assume was due to the cartridges not stacking neatly, but rather going cock-eyed, as the tips slipped off of the round above it.
Had to try it, but now I know...
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357