Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CCI Shot shells

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: CCI Shot shells

Post by Blackdog » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:18 am

I've tried the #9 and #4 shot in my 2" .38 Special. Patterns well, but I doubt either would be good for bird hunting - no range. I live in South Texas and we have snakes of all description here. When I "woods walk" my first chamber is loaded with #4 shot, the other 4 with wadcutters.

FYI - When I used to shoot Sporting Clay we'd break out the Taurus Judge on the back side of the range, but none of us could ever hit a clay with the handgun although we were B & C class shooters. Maybe with a lot of practice.

The CCI shot shells have a very pronounced muzzle flash. Not sure how it would affect night vision...suggest you aim carefully for the first shot - you might not be able to see well enough for the next shot.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:32 pm

I have a Rossi .22 and shoot shot out of it from time to time. Henry is a better rifle so I'd say yes. Unless point blank, shot out of a .22 pistol is next to useless.
Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:This is pretty strange as I was just talking to a friend of mine about Shot Shells and I was just thinking about posting a question here on the forums about it.

Is it OK to use them in our Henry Rifles? I've got an H001.

Or should I use them in my 22 Revolver only?

This would be for some small Snakes.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:40 pm

I concur. I've shot #2 thru #9 out of my Mossberg .410. Shooting #7 thru #9, I might as well have been shooting dust. I mostly just use #4 now.

In my Judge I use BB. Even at that effective range is between 5 and 10yds.
Blackdog wrote:I've tried the #9 and #4 shot in my 2" .38 Special. Patterns well, but I doubt either would be good for bird hunting - no range. I live in South Texas and we have snakes of all description here. When I "woods walk" my first chamber is loaded with #4 shot, the other 4 with wadcutters.

FYI - When I used to shoot Sporting Clay we'd break out the Taurus Judge on the back side of the range, but none of us could ever hit a clay with the handgun although we were B & C class shooters. Maybe with a lot of practice.

The CCI shot shells have a very pronounced muzzle flash. Not sure how it would affect night vision...suggest you aim carefully for the first shot - you might not be able to see well enough for the next shot.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:This is pretty strange as I was just talking to a friend of mine about Shot Shells and I was just thinking about posting a question here on the forums about it.

Is it OK to use them in our Henry Rifles? I've got an H001.

Or should I use them in my 22 Revolver only?

This would be for some small Snakes.
Late question: Were you asking about continued use wearing out the rifling?
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:35 pm

Sir Henry wrote: Late question: Were you asking about continued use wearing out the rifling?
That and any other problem using them that may occur.
0 x
NRA Member

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:44 pm

How could shot that is not as hard as a jacketed bullet cause excessive barrel wear? I think that after shooting several shot cartridges there would be a lot of fouling to clean out of the barrel.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:06 pm

From steel pellets?
Travlin wrote:How could shot that is not as hard as a jacketed bullet cause excessive barrel wear? I think that after shooting several shot cartridges there would be a lot of fouling to clean out of the barrel.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Mags wrote:.
From steel pellets?
Travlin wrote:How could shot that is not as hard as a jacketed bullet cause excessive barrel wear? I think that after shooting several shot cartridges there would be a lot of fouling to clean out of the barrel.
That is what I was thinking. Don’t most people that shoot shot shells use a worn out firearm? I don’t have a lot of experience with shot shells and was wondering it myself.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:16 am

Many years ago I had a machinist friend make me a roll crimp die that is reamed out to an inverted cone . This die is a standard 7/8" x 14 thread to screw into my reloading press. With it I can roll crimp any brass case from .32 S&W Long to 45-70. I use it to make shot shells for various handgun calibers and 45-70 rifle , I have shot these for about forty years and never had any problem with barrel wear. Now I don't shoot more than about maybe two dozen or so a year and they have blasted several snakes when used at very close range. I use a gas check for an over powder and over shot wad.
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:56 am

Even with steel shot, I can't see the steel damaging the rifling on the shot loads that use a plastic capsule to hold the shot. That plastic capsule will keep the shot from touching the bore. Then, too, the steel in steel shot is MUCH softer than the steel in your barrel.

One issue I have noticed when shooting 410 shells in my Contender 45 Colt/410 barrel with rifling is buildup of plastic residue from the plastic shot wads now used in shot shells. That plastic residue will gum up the rifling and can be a real pain to clean out. Just be sure to clean that bore, thoroughly, before going back to regular loads.
3 x