Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.45 Colt Ammunition for my Big Boy

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

.45 Colt Ammunition for my Big Boy

Post by TMB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:24 am

I've been looking for ammo to feed my Henry Big Boy in .45 Colt. I intend to use it for deer hunting in the NC Mountains. Long shots will be 100 yards. I wish to make a clean kill therefore I want bullets that deliver the most Kenetic energy at the point of impact.
Most of the loads I've seen are for "cowboy action." I found some mfg's that load ".45 Colt +p" or "magnum" loads. One in particular mfg loads two that I like the numbers for. First is a 225 grain lead free round that has a muzzle velocity of 1956 fps with 1912 ft/lbs energy. The second is a 300 grain JSP that has a velocity of 1750 fps and a whopping 2040 ft/lbs. These velocity and energy numbers are direct from the mfg.

"...the 45 COLT+P 300gr Bonded Hunter and Controlled Expansion both with be moving 1750 FPS from your Henry with 2,040 ft/lbs of energy.

The 45 COLT+P 225gr Barnes will be moving 1956 fps with 1912 ft/lbs of energy."

I purchased two boxes of the 300 grain and one of the 225 grain to try them at the range. My order arrived one week after placing the order. I put two of the 255 grain rounds in the gun and they cycled without any problem.
The 300 grain bullets barely went into the tube and wouldn't cycle. I got out my caliper and measured. The 225's are 1.557" and the 300's are 1.670".
Maybe I'll get that Blackhawk I've been looking at. After all I can't have bullets sitting around the house that can't be fired, can i.?
1 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: .45 Colt Ammunition for my Big Boy

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:09 am

I know that DoubleTap produces hunting ammo in both .45LC and .45LC + "P" rounds. You might check their ballistics out, too, and see if anything you'd like to try. http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php? ... y&path=125

Have a suggestion. Just recently I bought the incorrect ammo for my two new Uberti revolvers in .45LC. I'm going the other way and need to use a Cowboy action load with a maximum FPS limit (quite slow stuff), and also with a low lb/ft energy. Before I re-ordered, I called the company and got info directly from their ballistics guru before I bought any more ammo that would remain "unfired." I think that would be helpful before you add more to your ammo stock.

Just a two-cent suggestion, but might save you a lot of future pennies!
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:52 am

TMB wrote:I intend to use it for deer hunting in the NC Mountains. Long shots will be 100 yards. I wish to make a clean kill therefore I want bullets that deliver the most Kenetic energy at the point of impact.
just curious .... what part of the NC mountains .. :?: .. my home area was in Jackson County where I have hunted extensively .... as well as, in the surrounding counties .... I also have years of happy memories bear hunting with my Grandfather's hunting club on the northern slopes of Mt Mitchell .... I well understand big game hunting in the NC mountains for bear, boar and deer .... if I was going to hunt any of them with a 45 Henry (which is more than capable of handling any of them) my factory ammo of choice would be HSM's Bear Loads ... 45 Colt / HSM Code = HSM-45C-7-N .... 325 gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check bullet .... muzzle velocity of 1155 fps with 963 ft lbs of energy out of a handgun .... those specs should be somewhat higher out of a rifle .... looking forward to following your ammo selection process and to you coming hunting reports
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:19 pm

PT7 wrote:I know that DoubleTap produces hunting ammo in both .45LC and .45LC + "P" rounds. You might check their ballistics out,PT7
The two types of loads I am looking at are from DoubleTap.
JEBar wrote:just curious .... what part of the NC mountains ..
Allegheny County near Sparta.
1 x

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:53 pm

TMB wrote:
JEBar wrote:just curious .... what part of the NC mountains ..
Allegheny County near Sparta.
that's a beautiful part of the state .... closest I've come to hunting in that area was back in the mid '60's in an area west of Boone on the edge of the Cherokee National Forest .... didn't ever do any good but sure got to see some pretty country ..... welcome again and good luck this fall
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:52 pm

The Big Boy I had in 45 Colt loved the Winchester Super X 250 gr LFN ammo the best. It is "cowboy loads" but that big chunk of lead would send wood splinters exploding out the back board at 50 yds. I'm no hunter but I think if you can hit your mark 50-100 yds out, that critter is going down. Just my opinion.
3 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 am

RanchRoper wrote: if you can hit your mark 50-100 yds out
I've always believed that velocity increases accuracy at longer distance. I'm no crack shot so need as much help as I can get
2 x

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:51 pm

I have always loved the 45lc round. It has alot of history behind that bullet. Its been said that the person that knows best about the 45lc was Bat Masterson. I have 2 river vaqueros in a 45lc and i love the way they shoot. For the most part 45lc and 45auto are slow moving bullets, but God help what ever that bullet hits. They range from 225gr personal defense to the 255 grain cowboy action. To some of the buffalo bore +P. The 45lc is my all time favorite caliber. The only honest thing i can tell you about the 45lc in any grain bullet is...LOOK INTO RELOADING!!!! I still think it's kinda crazy how's it's definitely cheaper to shoot a 44mag than it is a 45lc. I bought my henry 44mag golden boy earlier this year. I can't wait to try my rifle out.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Firearmfanatic wrote: I bought my henry 44mag golden boy earlier this year. I can't wait to try my rifle out.
Welcome to the forum from CT. We're looking forward to your first range report, too. Congratulations on your new Henry.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:37 pm

3HRF.jpg
3HRF.jpg (15.21 KiB) Viewed 4128 times
Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Firearmfanatic. {Did you choose your moniker because of your Henrys?} ;)

This year was the first time I've shot the .45LC caliber. I have two revolvers, and absolutely love this round, too. I would have to agree that reloading should be a consideration as well.

Glad you joined the Forum. Enjoy.
PT7

Firearmfanatic wrote:I have always loved the 45lc round. It has alot of history behind that bullet. Its been said that the person that knows best about the 45lc was Bat Masterson. I have 2 river vaqueros in a 45lc and i love the way they shoot.
0 x

~Пока~