Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Questions on cast bullets

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: Questions on cast bullets

Post by 220 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:58 am

I posted this in another thread a few days ago but it seem relevant here
I simplified my casting and have settled on 3 alloys
2:6:92 (16bhn) (hardball) for any heavy pistol or rifle plinking loads
2:2:96(11-12 bhn) my hunting bullet alloy, I have driven these to 1900fps gas checked and 1600fps as a plain base with Hi Tek. Accuracy is as good as jacketed leading has been a non issue for me.
1:3:96 (10bhn) Light pistol loads in the 650-900fps range I only use this alloy when I don't have a stash of wheel weights and scrap lead that is my normal choice for these. Lube is either Hi-Tek or LLA depending on if I want pretty looking bullets. I do get some leading more so with the LLA but even after 500rds I don't see a noticeable drop in accuracy.

Hi-Tek makes for a pretty bullet and you don't have to worry about sticky lube when handling or building up in dies but It doesn't make up for poor bullet fit or alloy selection.

Hard cast will act like a FMJ in most hunting situations, if you do get any expansion it will often shear I much prefer a softer alloy for hunting that will expand and hold its deformed shape without shearing.

Harder is not always the answer to leading and accuracy issues if bullet fit isn't spot on often a softer bullet will give better accuracy and less leading.

Leading isn't as big an issue as a lot of people make out, a tight fitting patch will remove a lot and a stiff brush what is left.
1 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 am

BigAl52 wrote:https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10102 ... barrel-kit. You can get one of these or if you know someone in blackpowder who might have some lead balls or bullets close to the bore size of the gun. You can run one down the barrel and measure it with a set of calipers. Make sure your lube up the ball or bullet before doing so. Berrys makes some 350 grain copper plated bullets I have had some luck with for plinking. Thats the bullet I used the universal clays with. Its a mild load and its fun to shoot.
Good information Big Al. We shoot muzzleloaders. Have .50 and .54 cal mostly more modern bullets but I have some lead bullets somewhere and I did have a.45 cal back when. I may have some lead left. Those might get me close. Again appreciate the helpful tips and the link.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:39 am

clovishound wrote:I have switched from bare cast, to coated cast. No lube needed as the coating takes care of that. The coating also keeps them from leading, as long as the coating stays intact. I have had some cast that had a fragile coating, and experienced some leading, but for the most part they eliminate it. They are also much cleaner to load. They don't get lube all over your dies and hands. They are a little more expensive than plain cast, but much cheaper than jacketed.
Thanks Clovis for the information. You folks are great to share your knowledge. Appreciate it.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:43 am

I remember Ranch Roper posting recently about the Fiocchi loads he shoots and how they are very dark in color as far as the bullet. I would imagine that is the lube they use
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:57 am

220 wrote:I posted this in another thread a few days ago but it seem relevant here
I simplified my casting and have settled on 3 alloys
2:6:92 (16bhn) (hardball) for any heavy pistol or rifle plinking loads
2:2:96(11-12 bhn) my hunting bullet alloy, I have driven these to 1900fps gas checked and 1600fps as a plain base with Hi Tek. Accuracy is as good as jacketed leading has been a non issue for me.
1:3:96 (10bhn) Light pistol loads in the 650-900fps range I only use this alloy when I don't have a stash of wheel weights and scrap lead that is my normal choice for these. Lube is either Hi-Tek or LLA depending on if I want pretty looking bullets. I do get some leading more so with the LLA but even after 500rds I don't see a noticeable drop in accuracy.

Hi-Tek makes for a pretty bullet and you don't have to worry about sticky lube when handling or building up in dies but It doesn't make up for poor bullet fit or alloy selection.

Hard cast will act like a FMJ in most hunting situations, if you do get any expansion it will often shear I much prefer a softer alloy for hunting that will expand and hold its deformed shape without shearing.

Harder is not always the answer to leading and accuracy issues if bullet fit isn't spot on often a softer bullet will give better accuracy and less leading.

Leading isn't as big an issue as a lot of people make out, a tight fitting patch will remove a lot and a stiff brush what is left.
Hey thanks a lot 220. Great detailed info there and answers on my concerns with leading. You make the point,same as Big Al was saying, about bullet fit and the better the fit the less leading. I never really give much thought about a modern factory rifle barrel having variable tolerances as far as diameter. So if a .45-70 is .458 inches , how much variability is there in differing bullets and actual bore measurements in rifles ?
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 am

220 ... or are you only referring to hand cast bullets and not factory loads. Or is there enough variation in the factory loads that one needs to measure actual diameter for the best fit with these also ?
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:14 am

I just wonder the b/h of say standard factory cast lead alloy bullets in a cowboy load such as HSM brand or others. Would you be able to find out by contacting the company would you think ? I doubt that information is on the cartridge box but I don't know that to be the case.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 am

I don't know that I would get into casting my own bullets like many of you do but it is very interesting. Again I appreciate all the advice. It's one of many reasons I like this forum so much. 220, out of curiosity, in your first post about those ratios you listed. Are those numbers representing the percentages of lead and alloys you use like antimony and zinc , etc.? And I guess you conduct your own b/h test on your hand made bullets ?
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:10 am

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:220 ... or are you only referring to hand cast bullets and not factory loads. Or is there enough variation in the factory loads that one needs to measure actual diameter for the best fit with these also ?
Many bullet manufacturers offer their cast bullets in various diameters. You can specify the exact diameter when you order. They frequently have 3 different diameters. It is always a good idea to measure them when you get your batch. I take at least one from every new batch and measure diameter and weight, just to be sure. It only takes a few seconds to check them, and I also check a random handful when I get a batch from a new to me supplier, just to make sure they are consistent.

FYI, Dardas has soft lead slugs for slugging your barrel, and will measure them for you for free, if you send them to them. Note: some riflings cannot be measured accurately with standard calipers/micrometers as a land and groove match up 180º from each other. This is often the case with revolvers.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:46 am

Appreciate all of the feedback, Clovis. I'm learning a lot from you folks for sure
0 x