Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Questions on cast bullets

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Questions on cast bullets

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:59 pm

I have some questions for you folks on the forum who have experience with shooting cast bullets. Most all of my shooting has been with jacketed rounds. With my Henry on the way I'll be wanting to shoot cowboy action loads through my .45-70. Been researching the bullets a bit as far as difference in cast lead and hard cast. So the hard cast bullets are going to contain an alloy of lead and other metals. Some say they are also lubed for extra protection against lead fouling in the barrel. This probably helps but doesn't eliminate , is that correct ? Then with the gas checks , are they seen only on the lead bullets or also the hard cast ? Do the gas checks help prevent much lead fouling in say just a cast lead bullet ? How about manufacturers of CAS ammo like HSM , Black Hills, Buffalo , etc. as far as experiences shooting these loads ? Any insight much appreciated .
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Questions on cast bullets

Post by Jdl447 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:58 pm

It'll depend on the pressure of the load.
Cowboy loads at low pressure low velocities can use bullet of a bh of 12 w/o checks.
Higher pressure higher velocity loads need a higher bh and a check
2 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Oh and all cast bullets need to be lubed.
Get a copy of Lyman cast bullet handbook.
It's worth it for the information.
3 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Jdl447 wrote:Oh and all cast bullets need to be lubed.
Get a copy of Lyman cast bullet handbook.
It's worth it for the information.
Thank you much. Am I right in assuming your referring to handloaded cast bullets in that the b/h would be indicated somewhere on the packaging ? Probably not noted I would imagine on say the box for factory loads. Are the factory loads all lubed ?
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:03 pm

As stated by Jdl447 - if you are planning on shooting cast bullets, get the Lyman cast bullet handbook. It has several pages of very useful information about barrel leading.

If you are a member of the Ruger forum, check out this article by lowegan. https://rugerforum.net/library/19869-le ... lvers.html
He has years of experience and is very knowledgeable. If you are not a member of the forum or a member with less than 10 posts, you may not be able to view the article.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 pm

There is alot a variables that will cause leading lube and bullet size. You need to slug the bore to obtain the right bullet for your rifle. I quit shooting lead because Im not fond of handling it anymore and I got tired of the leading issues. I now use the copper plated bullets for plinking and if I want to shoot at a higher rate I shoot copper jacketed. There is also a company called Rose Distribution who sells Zero Bullets. They are jacketed bullets at a good price. You might check them out. I know there are members here who shoot them. Al
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Steve51 wrote:As stated by Jdl447 - if you are planning on shooting cast bullets, get the Lyman cast bullet handbook. It has several pages of very useful information about barrel leading.

If you are a member of the Ruger forum, check out this article by lowegan. https://rugerforum.net/library/19869-le ... lvers.html
He has years of experience and is very knowledgeable. If you are not a member of the forum or a member with less than 10 posts, you may not be able to view the article.
Thank you for the information sir. Really appreciate it. Thanks
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:12 pm

BigAl52 wrote:There is alot a variables that will cause leading lube and bullet size. You need to slug the bore to obtain the right bullet for your rifle. I quit shooting lead because Im not fond of handling it anymore and I got tired of the leading issues. I not used the copper plated bullets for plinking and if I want to shoot at a higher rate I shoot copper jacketed. There is also a company called Rose Distribution who sells Zero Bullets. They are jacketed bullets at a good price. You might check them out. I know there are members here who shoot them. Al
I value your input Big Al. I have bought some ammo already and allot it is copper jacketed. Several varying loads and manufacturers. Thought maybe the low velocity cowboy loads would be a bit more economical and less recoil for plinking. The 405 gr Remington's would seem to.be a good round for fun shooting but they sure are pricey. I'm not set up or quite ready to reload. I know this would probably be my best option. If I may ask , what does it mean to slug a barrel?
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:24 pm

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10102 ... barrel-kit. You can get one of these or if you know someone in blackpowder who might have some lead balls or bullets close to the bore size of the gun. You can run one down the barrel and measure it with a set of calipers. Make sure your lube up the ball or bullet before doing so. Berrys makes some 350 grain copper plated bullets I have had some luck with for plinking. Thats the bullet I used the universal clays with. Its a mild load and its fun to shoot.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:42 am

I have switched from bare cast, to coated cast. No lube needed as the coating takes care of that. The coating also keeps them from leading, as long as the coating stays intact. I have had some cast that had a fragile coating, and experienced some leading, but for the most part they eliminate it. They are also much cleaner to load. They don't get lube all over your dies and hands. They are a little more expensive than plain cast, but much cheaper than jacketed.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya