Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Questions on cast bullets

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: Questions on cast bullets

Post by 220 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:I don't know that I would get into casting my own bullets like many of you do but it is very interesting. Again I appreciate all the advice. It's one of many reasons I like this forum so much. 220, out of curiosity, in your first post about those ratios you listed. Are those numbers representing the percentages of lead and alloys you use like antimony and zinc , etc.? And I guess you conduct your own b/h test on your hand made bullets ?
Yes the first is the percentage of tin followed by antimony and lead.
2:6:92 is the alloy most commercial casters use for their hard cast.
Even in Aus their are a few smelters that produce lead ingots for bullet casters in just about any alloy you want. If you have known alloys it is quite simple to combine them at ratios to give the desired alloy. I do have a cheap BHN tester that is handy with unknown alloys

Ammo manufacturers should be able to tell you the alloy of their cast loads, a quick email might get the answer.

I had no intention of casting my own but was unhappy with the results I was getting with commercial cast.
My very first go was with a cheap lee tumble lube mould, an old saucepan and a gas camp stove, lubed them with LLA and shot them unsized. Though a 357 revolver groups were less than half the size of my best results with commercial cast, I was hooked and now cast from 22-45cal :lol:
1 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 am

I have a lot of admiration for you folks who cast your own bullets and handload. I've learned a lot from your helpful responses to this post. Appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge on this subject
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 am

until purchasing three different caliber Henry rifles, the thought of using lead bullets never crossed my mind .... after buying, loading and firing literally thousands of lead bullets, I came to realize that (for me) it would be best to go back to jacketed bullets .... I still have thousands of lead bullets in multiple calibers that I'll end of giving away .... for me the deciding factor is, regardless of caliber, jacketed bullets can be loaded to higher speeds which yields flatter trajectories
1 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 am

Thanks JEBar. Always appreciate sound advice from folks who have been there and done that. Years of experience are always the best teacher. All of the ammo I have stocked up for the .45-70 are jacketed or plated. I do have some hard cast HSM Cowboy loads on order for a little more economical plinking but I probably will choose which ever jacketed round shoots best in my rifle. I've got some 300 gr Federal Fusion , 325 gr Hornady Leverevolution and standard load Remington .405 gr as well as some hot 430 gr bear loads. I may have a sore shoulder deciding on what I like !
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:48 pm

Jdl447 wrote:Oh and all cast bullets need to be lubed.
Get a copy of Lyman cast bullet handbook.
It's worth it for the information.
Well there are powder coated lead bullets also. :lol:
I do mine myself.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:19 am

Vaquero wrote:
Jdl447 wrote:Oh and all cast bullets need to be lubed.
Get a copy of Lyman cast bullet handbook.
It's worth it for the information.
Well there are powder coated lead bullets also. :lol:
I do mine myself.

RP
True, I have also used some coated bullets.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:47 am

JEBar wrote:until purchasing three different caliber Henry rifles, the thought of using lead bullets never crossed my mind .... after buying, loading and firing literally thousands of lead bullets, I came to realize that (for me) it would be best to go back to jacketed bullets .... I still have thousands of lead bullets in multiple calibers that I'll end of giving away .... for me the deciding factor is, regardless of caliber, jacketed bullets can be loaded to higher speeds which yields flatter trajectories
What do you have?
I might be interested in buying.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:03 am

Vaquero wrote:What do you have?
I might be interested in buying.

RP
I'd have to check .... our family's reloading equipment and components has been moved from our home to that of one of our sons .... most of the lead bullets were boxes of 500, bought from Cabela's, made by Oregon Trail .... their weight would make shipping pretty expensive .... depending on exactly where you live, we come through Nashville a couple of times a year .... usually in early June and then again in early August
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:21 am

I have casted many bullets in the past but I just dont have the time for it anymore nor do I want to take the time to do it. I have also switched from Lead to plated or jacketed bullets because for me Im tired of cleaning lead out of barrels of guns. Seems like no matter how much trouble you go thru and take the time to properly fit bullets to gun barrels along with using the right lube there is still some lead to clean out. Finding the right commercial cast bullets that work in all of the guns is also a must.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:27 am

BigAl52 wrote:I have casted many bullets in the past but I just dont have the time for it anymore nor do I want to take the time to do it. I have also switched from Lead to plated or jacketed bullets because for me Im tired of cleaning lead out of barrels of guns. Seems like no matter how much trouble you go thru and take the time to properly fit bullets to gun barrels along with using the right lube there is still some lead to clean out. Finding the right commercial cast bullets that work in all of the guns is also a must.

AMEN ;)
0 x