Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.243 Win vs. .308 Win

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

.243 Win vs. .308 Win

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:55 am

Until I read this article, I assumed that the .308 was a no-brainer choice when thinking about moving from .357 BBS to something with longer range for whitetail hunting. The Long Ranger is on my radar, which is available in both 243 and 308, which led to me doing the search that led to this article.

Anybody have any experience with one or both of these, preferably both, for real-world comparisons? Some great data here, but "here's how it's worked for me in the field" feedback would be great, too.

https://www.swggun.org/243-vs-308/

Thanks in advance!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: .243 Win vs. .308 Win

Post by Mistered » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:09 am

The .243 is a fantastic round - and one of my favorite and I have owned several - but just one currently. For game up to deer size it is excellent and while legal for elk (as it is in Oregon) I personally wouldn't use it but some have with bullet placement being paramount.
Out here in the 'West' it excels as a long range varmint caliber and I have taken all manner of varmints with mine. Accuracy is typically excellent in nearly any quality rifle with some on the 'heels' of high end custom guns. 'Way back when' I owned a Mod 788 Remington in .243 and this particular rifle was well known for it near match grade accuracy in what was a 'economy' rifle - and mine was right up there. They are now commanding nearly collector prices. I was looking at one recently from 1978 in excellent condition with an asking price of $600.
Unless you are planning on hunting elk or larger size game the .308 is 'overkill' and the .243 will serve you well.
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:26 am

I've used both and have had no complaints about either one. Yes, there is a noticeable difference in recoil. That is beyond dispute. I can shoot all the 243 I want in a range session, but only so many 308 rounds.

Note that in some circles, there is still a prejudice against using smaller caliber rounds for deer hunting. My experience does NOT support this with the 243, but you may encounter it when comparing the two cartridges.

There is, likewise, no comparison between the two as to which is the better dual purpose varmint/deer round. The 243 is about as good as it gets for a cartridge that you can use to shoot prairie dogs in the morning and deer in the evening. The caveat, here, when buying factory ammo, is to know which loads are meant for varmints and which are meant for deer. Good performance on deer with the 243 is very dependent on the right bullet and load. I cut my teeth shooting varmints with the 6mm Remington, which was basically Remington's version of the 243. Could shoot it all day. Later, took deer with a 243.

As for availability, in our heavily forested area, it's definitely easier to find factory 308 loads. The 308 has been a traditional deer cartridge in our area for along, long, time. The 243 is regarded as more of an open country round by our hunters, or a round for women, but I think that's selling the 243 short. At out typical deer ranges, the 243 will do anything the 308 will do.

Also, the 308 is used in some black gun platforms, so it's easier to find bulk 308, these days, if you want to shoot on the cheap. Not sure where the author is finding bulk 243 ammo to shoot.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:58 am

North Country Gal wrote:... Not sure where the author is finding bulk 243 ammo to shoot.
A quick check online, many places .243 can be bought in bulk, BUT there is no price advantage. Buying a box of 20 or 500 the price per round is about the same.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Just out of curiosity, I went to an interesting site that calculates a lot of ballistics (and other) data, and tried to approximate the recoil of of the BBS 357, shooting 158 gr Hornady XTP with 8.8 gr of powder (could be off on that one estimate) at 1,800 fps muzzle velocity out of a 7 lb rifle. It seems tom come out amazingly close to the .243.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:41 pm

ESquared , I was typing out a long winded post concerning your topic. I was making a lot of comments on personal experiences with both of these great rounds and the thoughts were really flowing then my electronic device died and I lost it all. I'm very slow to type and will never regain my exact train of thought I was trying to convey. So here it is in a nutshell. Two venerable cartridges with great histories of performance. I own rifles in both calibers but have used the .243 more. With a 90 to 100 gr load in a good hunting round that little .243 is a fast, flat shooting deer slayer. Hydrostatic shock and terminal performance are devastating. With the lighter rounds it is a varmint getter extriodinare ! The .308 would be better choice for larger game with its heavier bullet selection and energy but in your application I wouldn't think twice on choosing the .243. The most accurate rifle I own is a.243. I have the utmost confidence in that cartridge when I settle the crosshairs and squeeze the trigger.
1 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:51 pm

ESquared wrote:Just out of curiosity, I went to an interesting site that calculates a lot of ballistics (and other) data, and tried to approximate the recoil of of the BBS 357, shooting 158 gr Hornady XTP with 8.8 gr of powder (could be off on that one estimate) at 1,800 fps muzzle velocity out of a 7 lb rifle. It seems tom come out amazingly close to the .243.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php
.243 ballistics are running from 3200 fps on the 100 gr loads, up to a scorching 4000 plus fps in the varmint rounds. These are factory , no hand loads. Also , all of these rounds will have muzzle energies in the 2000+ ft lbs range. While the .357 round has very respectable ballistics out of a rifle , the .243 is a whole different animal when it comes to ballistic performance
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:54 pm

I apologize ESquared ! I should have read your post more closely. I see now you were comparing felt recoil between the two. My mistake.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:11 pm

I've used both calibers, and agree with the info provided above .... in the area of felt recoil, the 243 is much lighter .... if you are looking for a rifle to take to a range and fire bunches of bullets each session, the lighter recoil of a 243 would be a consideration .... as mentioned, in our part of the country it is still a caliber often used by ladies and young hunters for whom the recoil of a 308 is a bit much .... as has been noted and I agree, the 243's lighter bullet requires better shot placement .... it simply cannot provide shock found in heavier 308 bullets .... if there is any possibility of running into big game like boar or boar, I wouldn't even consider a 243 .... in addition, one has a much larger variety of both factory ammo and handloading bullets available for a 308 .... all things being considered, between the two calibers, I'd go with a 308
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:ESquared , I was typing out a long winded post concerning your topic. I was making a lot of comments on personal experiences with both of these great rounds and the thoughts were really flowing then my electronic device died and I lost it all. I'm very slow to type and will never regain my exact train of thought I was trying to convey. So here it is in a nutshell. Two venerable cartridges with great histories of performance. I own rifles in both calibers but have used the .243 more. With a 90 to 100 gr load in a good hunting round that little .243 is a fast, flat shooting deer slayer. Hydrostatic shock and terminal performance are devastating. With the lighter rounds it is a varmint getter extriodinare ! The .308 would be better choice for larger game with its heavier bullet selection and energy but in your application I wouldn't think twice on choosing the .243. The most accurate rifle I own is a.243. I have the utmost confidence in that cartridge when I settle the crosshairs and squeeze the trigger.
Thanks, Ridgerunner, that's very helpful as well, since you and I are in the same neck of the woods, so to speak. This real-world perspective is great to get, vs. some random guys from some other chat board from 7 years ago. You're the 3rd in a row to endorse the .243. Learning more here every day, as it wasn't all that long ago that I didn't even know it existed or anything about it.
Thanks very much for your advice and counsel.
1 x