Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dirty Firing Ammo?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Dirty Firing Ammo?

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:21 pm

I tried some web searches looking for ammo that fires cleaner. Is there such a thing?

Aside from my Henry .30-30 I have 3 other large caliber firearms, a .410 and two .45s. While cleaning those firearms they don't seem to have dirtied up (black residue) as much as my Henry does. I was wondering if there is a cleaner firing .30-30 ammo?

I been using in my Henry Remington Core-Lokt® and Winchester Xtreme Power-Point Deer and Black Bear .30-30. Used the same brands in my other firearms, but only the .30-30 ammo seems to leave a dirtier residue.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Dirty Firing Ammo?

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Is there such a thing?
Maybe but you would have to try ALL the the ammo currently available for the 30-30 and reality being what it is I suspect there are probably only about three powders being used by the manufacturers of 30-30 ammo.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:22 am

I have a Marlin and Henry that are both in 30-30. I spend more time (hours) cleaning my Henry than I do my Marlin. I use the same ammo in both (Winchester, Federal, Remington or Hornady). My Henry has a lot more copper residue. I am wondering if the difference in barrel rate or process could account for the copper residue increase. Marlin claims its microgroove barrel should make cleaning easier. So far, that has been the case for me.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxe ... arrels.htm
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:25 pm

GFK wrote:I have a Marlin and Henry that are both in 30-30. ...
What barrel is on each? Mine is the octagon.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:27 pm

I have a H009 and 336W. Both barrels are round. But, the H009 has a twist rate of 12, and the 336W has a twist rate of 10. The biggest reason for the cleaning time may be due to the microgroove process though. From what I understand, it may be due to a rough barrel also. I am hoping it will get easier to clean as I shoot it. So far, it has taken let time to clean than when I first buy it.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Mine isn't particularly hard to clean. Dirtier than my other firearms, takes a few more minutes to clean. Copper fouling is noticeable, I rarely detect it in my other firearms, which are much older. So maybe me new Henry barrel is still rough and that the cause.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:14 am

I have been using Tetra Gun for copper removal. After initial carbon residue removal with Hoppe's, I let the barrel soak 3-4 times at 30 minutes each with Tetra. Then, I run Hoppe's through it again and a coat of oil until I can get back to it. Most times, it is the next day. I soak the barrel with Tetra once or twice more, and the barrel is pretty much copper (patches come out fairly clean). With my Marlin, I may have to use Tetra once or twice at times. Sometimes, I use it just to make sure it is copper free.

From day one (before I fired it), I noticed copper residue in my Henry. The initial cleaning with Hoppe's revealed the present of copper. I have not had the same experience with my Marlin. It seemed to been copper free (and pretty much remains free) from day one. But, I enjoy shooting them both. Things may look different with my Henry after I had ran a few more 100's rounds through it.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:40 am

Haven't heard of tetra before. Don't recall seeing it on the shelf at LGS. I stumbled on copper fouling in my Henry by happenstance. After the very first 10 rounds discovered due to my eyesight I was going to need a scope beyond about 35yds. Until I could get parts to mount a scope I was cleaning the Henry prior to putting away. Cleaning with hoppes on swabs I kept getting black. So I put a really sopping wet with hoppes down the barrel from the receiver. As hoppes dripped from the muzzle it came out blueish green. Subsequent shooting/cleaning cycles I get more than expected black and copper fouling.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:42 am

Haven't heard of tetra before. Don't recall seeing it on the shelf at LGS. I stumbled on copper fouling in my Henry by happenstance. After the very first 10 rounds discovered due to my eyesight I was going to need a scope beyond about 35yds. Until I could get parts to mount a scope I was cleaning the Henry prior to putting it away. Cleaning with hoppes on swabs I kept getting black. So I put a really sopping wet with hoppes down the barrel from the receiver. As hoppes dripped from the muzzle it came out blueish green. Subsequent shooting/cleaning cycles I get more than expected black and copper fouling. Reason for my question here.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:46 am

Think lve only put about 80 rounds through it so far. Sounds like from others after several hundred it's likely to get better.
0 x