Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

After the Great .22 Ammo Shortage

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

After the Great .22 Ammo Shortage

Post by Blackdog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:09 pm

After the great .22 ammo shortage I bought a lot of .22 ammo - so I wouldn't get caught off guard again.
I keep it in the garage, in the original containers, placed inside GI Ammo Cans.

Today I was looking for something and opened one of the ammo cans. The .22 ammo had gone from black to grey - oxidation of the exposed lead tips.

I learned that
A. GI Ammo cans are not water proof
B. Saving .22 ammo is not such a good idea
C. I have a task ahead of me now - I'm not gonna throw 'em away!

The bullets in question are all CCI. I'll check the Federals next. The "High Priced" stuff was all good.

Michael
0 x

albin25
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: After the Great .22 Ammo Shortage

Post by albin25 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Just so you know...CCI makes 2 different 22 Blazer
-CCI Blazer comes with black lead are only produced and shipped from main CCI/Speer plant in Idaho, and doesn't change color over time. this one plant produces approx. 5 million rounds of 22lr per day, 7days a week, all year.
-CCI Blazer comes with grey lead from their other plants around the country. It is of slightly lesser consistency and quality and is more like comes from their Federal plants elsewhere (also a CCI product by the way)

The Blazer packaging though is identical and the only way to know what you're getting is to see the lot and inspection stamp on the cardboard shipping case the product is/was shipped in, Or, you could open the individual boxes and check for yourself before you buy. It's a crap-shoot as to what you get if you order over the internet.
1 x
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: After the Great .22 Ammo Shortage

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Blackdog wrote:... The .22 ammo had gone from black to grey - oxidation of the exposed lead tips.
Shoot, I've had ammo on a closet shelf in the house do that. Forgot it was there and found it few years later when I was cleaning out the closet.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234