Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Any info known about a .45LC manufacturer?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Any info known about a .45LC manufacturer?

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Since someone suggested using <ammoseek.com>, I've been searching for 200gr .45LC ammo there. Just started to shoot .45LC caliber using my new T&C 1873 Cattleman revolver.

I've not heard of this manufacturer before: Choice Ammunition, USA-made ammo out of Montana. Found this 200gr cowboy action load there, and wondering if anyone has any information about it, or about the company?
https://choiceammunition.com/product/ne ... nd-loaded/

Thanks...PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Any info known about a .45LC manufacturer?

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 pm

1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks for the links.

The AH article mostly focused on rifles, but the one paragraph on .45LC considered use in a revolver. Came close as the test ammo was 250gr and my initial choice would be the 200gr. The writer shot with a 7-1/2" Blackhawk. My 1873 is much smaller, 3-1/2" barrel. But the test gun was close to the new T&C revolver being shipped my way -- the top break Russian .45LC with a 6-1/2" barrel. I'd probably try the ammo in that revolver, too. Overall writer comments on this ammo build and the company seemed mostly positive, and was helpful stuff to my search.

The "Made in Montana" link was also interesting. Nothing negative about the ammo manufacturer at all. First time, however, I've seen such an eval that was made by a state's (Montana) Department of Commerce. That state web site also contained the warning that the "official" logo created by the state of Montana was illegal to use "without prior authorization." I see this logo posted on the Choice Ammunition web site, so there is that connection.

Like I said, interesting info. Appreciated the stuff I read here. I'm thinking I might give the manufacturer a call to ask a couple of specifics on the 200gr ammo I'm looking at. That might be an interesting "eval" also..... ;)
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:19 pm

After researching this ammo manufacturer, I decided to give them a call. Chatted with the Choice Ammunition rep, who also spoke with their ballistics tech about how I wanted to shoot, what revolvers I'm using, etc. I liked everything I heard from them. And since both the info/specs and Choice Ammo's CS were what I was looking for, I decided to order some hand-loaded .45LC from this Montana company.

Got the shipment late this week. Following are a couple of pics showing my entire .45LC stock. :) The HSM ammo, which I've already shot with my 1873 Cattleman, is 200gr RNFP Cowboy action; the Choice Ammo rounds are the same, 200gr RNFP Cowboy action. The Choice ammo is rated at 950fps; the rep looked up the HMS spec for me, and it's rated at 750fps. If I and my two revolvers like this hand-loaded ammo, I think I would stick with this company -- their CS is that good. Next chance to get to the range will be a little later next week. Heading to central KS to visit a long-time friend; plan to be there from Mon thru Wed.

My son-in-law calls both brass and cartridges "GOLD." I thought of that when I looked at the cannister of the Choice Ammo I just received. It is good-looking ammo; almost appears to be gold in the cannister.

BTW, since I'm always looking at words and their meanings, I found the historical definition of "cannister" to be this:
{Cannister: small bullets packed in cases that fit the bore of an artillery piece or gun; e.g. the historical expression,
"Another deadly volley of canister"}

Fits what the gold is, doesn't it?!? ;)
PT7

Entire stock of .45LC
.45LC_2557.JPG
.45LC_2557.JPG (259.61 KiB) Viewed 4627 times
"GOLD"
.45LC_2558.JPG
.45LC_2558.JPG (239.13 KiB) Viewed 4627 times
1 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Wow, sure wish I could buy a bucket of 45 Colt up here in anti-gun land....I like your stash, looks like you are ready to walk the streets of Tombstone. 8-)
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Hey, RR,

Some of the pics you've posted of your ammo stash looks like you're pretty well-stocked already. I think in one of your posts you said something like "I own most of the .45LC in Canada." That's quite a few ammo cans worth! :D

So you've now seen my entire .45LC stash in the photos. It is quite small, but probably won't be much larger at any given time. This caliber is a little spendy. So I'll just send this "gold" downrange a little at a time; probably close to your expended rounds per your range visit. I'll actually don't mind leaving the range still wishing I brought more ammo with me. That simply means I'm having a good time of it!

I don't think the streets of Tombstone is the place for me to go...a little far away. I'd just mosey the short trail ride southwest from my MO Northland homestead, and walk the streets of Lawrence, KS. There was a lot of six-gun and rifle action there in the early 1860s!! :roll:

PT7
RanchRoper wrote:Wow, sure wish I could buy a bucket of 45 Colt up here in anti-gun land....I like your stash, looks like you are ready to walk the streets of Tombstone. 8-)
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 pm

I do have a good stockpile, but always on the lookout for more. Bulk 45 Colt up here is non-existent so far. I know, I know....reload.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:35 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Bulk 45 Colt up here is non-existent so far. I know, I know....reload.
just had a thought, have you considered loading your own :?: :?: :?:

sorry, couldn't resist .. :lol:

OK, another thought, reloading could give you something worth doing while sitting inside looking out the window at bales of snow covered hay ... ;)
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:50 pm

JEBar wrote:
OK, another thought, reloading could give you something worth doing while sitting inside looking out the window at bales of snow covered hay ... ;)
... while sitting on that nice open air deck next to the (electric) wood stove.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:28 am

Not long ago there was some heavy-duty chatting in a couple of threads about reloading, RR. I had the impression that you would keep on using manufactured, new ammo, and not reload. Still, most important is what you want to do.

I do remember, however, that going through those discussions with you and everyone, I made my final decision NOT to reload. I know there are pluses that go along with reloading. But I did a very thoughtful plus/minus evaluation of what it takes to reload, particularly in regard to "wanting to and being comfortable" taking on this part of firearms ownership. I'm not there, and won't ever be. So when I made the decision, the "tension" was gone. I'm good.

That worked for me. Of course, what works for you is the best for you. Most of the reloaders I know really enjoy doing it, and realize valid benefits over buying new ammo. The earlier reloading threads helped me out with my decision; it was a solid string of many excellent comments, and I'm glad to have participated. Good stuff on our Forum from knowledgeable Folk!!

Not least, I also wish "you could buy a bucket of 45 Colt up there." Yet living in that beautiful Cow Country seems to be a real plus from my perspective. ;) Wish I could see it in person someday.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~