Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Any info known about a .45LC manufacturer?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Any info known about a .45LC manufacturer?

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:48 am

Ya I won't be reloading anytime soon. Will stick to factory ammo for now.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:04 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Wow, sure wish I could buy a bucket of 45 Colt up here in anti-gun land....I like your stash, looks like you are ready to walk the streets of Tombstone. 8-)
Howdy RR. I was just wondering about the laws and regulations on ammo purchases up in your Country. I figured by your response to PT7 that ammo purchases and quantities must be pretty closely regulated. Does the same go for shipped purchases or can you even order ammo out of the USA ? Just curious.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:11 pm

We cannot buy guns or ammo across the border.
Supply on 45 Colt is not bad but dependent on US supply to dealers mostly. I buy most of mine online from Canadian sources. Cannot ship ammo by mail just Courier.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:21 pm

Hello PT7. I recently purchased a SA Cimmaron in .45. Love the gun. Smooth action and shoots great. Seems to really like the HSM 250 gr Cowboy loads. Concerning your inquiry on 200 gr loads , Magtech makes an excellent cowboy action load. Have shot their brand in many other calibers also . High quality consistent performance. Just wanted to share that with you for another ammo option
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Appreciate the info, Ozark. I actually spent some time on the phone today with two different people about .45LC ammo. First guy was the gunsmith at Taylor's & Company in VA. They are the U.S. service arm for Uberti, Italy. Found out that Uberti recommends a .45LC bullet with a maximum of 875fps for my revolvers. So whenever or whatever ammo I look at, I'll also need to check that ammo spec out because there are some "cowboy loads," as companies call their production line, that have a higher fps rating. I've used Magtech 158gr LFN (a cowboy action load) in my .357 Magnum revolver, and like it pretty well. I'll probably check their ammo out....thanks.

Also chatted with (of all people) the president of Ten-X Ammunition out in CA. He answered the phone! They have two lines of .45LC, one 200gr and one 250gr, but neither had fps info or muzzle energy info available. He pulled up his spec sheets, and I found both of those will be really good levels for my Russian --- 585fps and 695fps. They also will reload if I send them spent brass, which is a lot less expensive and only needs to be bought in a minimum amount of 250 rounds. This company offers some interesting options for me.

Two calls today, and good customer service both times....that is always a plus!

Almost forgot. The HSM ammo has been good so far in my 1873 SA Cattleman revolver. I have the HSM .45 Colt 200 gr. LRNFP, and it's rated at 750fps. Shoots pretty accurately also.

Anyway, with all the firearms I've had, the "ammo chase" is part of the enjoyment/fun with this retirement hobby. I'm not a reloader, so this is the only way I can find what I need.

I have previously looked at the SA Cimmarons before. Very nice-looking guns.....and glad you like yours.

Hope we both get the rain that MO ground needs so much. Right now there is quite a lot of lightening all around me, but mostly to the east. So it's gone past my area so far with not a single drop. Hopefully, we'll get that which is predicted for overnight.

Take care,
PT7

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:Hello PT7. I recently purchased a SA Cimmaron in .45. Love the gun. Smooth action and shoots great. Seems to really like tha HSM 250 gr Cowboy loads. Concerning your inquiry on 200 gr loads , Magtech makes an excellent cowboy action load. Have shot their brand in many other calibers. High quality consistent performance. Just wanted to share that with you for another ammo option
1 x

~Пока~

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:09 pm

Reading off the back of the Magtech box right now. This is their 200 gr LFP. Rated velocity is 761 fps and muzzle energy at 322 ft lbs. Loaded to SASS specs. I recently shot some Federal 225 gr semi wadcutters. Found the accuracy lacking compared to the cowboy loads. You bet, hope we all get a good rain.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:16 am

The specs are perfect for either of my revolvers...thanks! The Muzzle ft/lb for this MagTech load is rated higher than either the HSM or Aguila 200gr I've been using. Being looking for a brand with that to be a little higher. BTW, the ammo guru at T&C also said Uberti "likes" the load evaluations when held up to SASS specs....so that's a plus. I will be looking to try the MagTech.

Good news. Overnight I did have measurable water in the rain gauge; got 6/10" and it is most welcome!! :D
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:Reading off the back of the Magtech box right now. This is their 200 gr LFP. Rated velocity is 761 fps and muzzle energy at 322 ft lbs. Loaded to SASS specs. I recently shot some Federal 225 gr semi wadcutters. Found the accuracy lacking compared to the cowboy loads. You bet, hope we all get a good rain.
0 x

~Пока~

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:38 am

Glad y'all received the moisture and we hope for more. I believe that is spot on about the accuracy of the cowboy loads , at least in my limited experience. I have been very impressed with their performance especially out of 4 3/4" barrel The manufacturers seem to have have found a sweet spot on these loads on how they perform in SA Revolvers.
1 x