Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Aguila SV 22 rimfire

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Aguila SV 22 rimfire

Post by rickhem » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:16 am

I'm pretty much all CCI Standard Velocity as I buy a case for .22 Bullseye and use that everywhere else due to having it in quantity. I see that a lot of guys shoot the Aguila ammo though, it's on a lot of ports at matches, and some very good shooters use it, so must be accurate and reliable. There was some Wolf ammo that was well thought of too.

A few buddies and I went through a whole bunch of different .22 ammo testing our upgraded 1022s for the Sportsmen's Team Challenge. We bought a few boxes of everything known to shoot well, and tons of the less expensive stuff to try along with the high dollar ammo. We all found that the high end and expensive ammo gave good results, but a few others delivered comparable results at less that half the cost. Then we factored in availability, and the CCI SV was still on the list. I stopped there.

For me, the old Federal Champion shot really well, but it isn't around anymore. Winchester T22 and the Remington SV ammo were also both very good, but way too many rounds wouldn't fire, so their priming process wasn't as effective as the CCI's was, and still is. I've heard that Remington brass is thicker, who knows.

The one other guy that was able to take a deep dive into his rifle, which was a Clark modified rifle with their own barrel, and he shot some knots at 90 yards with that. (far targets are at 90 in that competition) He said that it took a lot of shots before some ammo settled down and gave good groups. Apparently the bullet lube from prior ammo needs to be purged before the groups shrink. Cleaning between brands/lots helped, but still needed 10-15 shots to condition the bore. That is something to consider when testing .22 RF ammo.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:53 am

I bought two cases of CCI standard velocity so it’s my go to ammo for most everything except my CZ’s.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:18 pm

The best I've shot is CCI MiniMag. The worst Federal AutoMatch Target.
I have some Winchester SuperSpeed that I have not yet tried.
I have no experience with Aguila.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:08 pm

Here's a little test I did last year sometime with a pair of Marlins.
20230304_154243.jpg
20230304_154243.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 99 times
20230304_154319.jpg
20230304_154319.jpg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 99 times

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:14 pm

The only .22LR rimfire I buy these days is either CCI Standard Velocity or CCI MiniMag 36gr hollow point ammo. With my rimfire rifles, one of these two will do well.

II will admit that I have other brands of rimfire bought in times past which I shoot for casual plinking but if accuracy matters, it's one of the above.
0 x