Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cabela's Shipping

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Cabela's Shipping

Post by HenryFan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:58 am

I am usually disappointed or frustrated with shipping and delivery when I order from an on-line vendor but I had a good experience with Cabela's.

On Saturday afternoon, I ordered a small amount of rimfire ammo from Cabela's since I was unable to find it locally. I got an email from Cabela's this morning that the shipment is "Out For Delivery".

I am pleasantly surprised that an order I placed on Saturday is scheduled for delivery on Monday. Although it shipped from Macon, GA with delivery to South Carolina, I didn't expect such prompt service, even though it is fairly close.

If anyone is interested, I ordered some CCI Mini-Mag Long Rifle and I got a fairly competitive price and free shipping. After driving around looking for the ammo at local gun stores, with the crowded aisles and no parking, I gave up after two stops and fell back on internet sales.

Easy is my friend.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Cabela's Shipping

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:34 am

appreciate the info .... I've never ordered live ammo on line .... I've had good experiences using Cabela's shipping .... if/when I ever do, I'll most certainly keep them in mind
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:40 am

Thanks for the report on Cabela's. I have ordered several things from them over the years but it's been quite a while. It's good to hear they appear to be on top of things.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:05 am

Believe me, not all vendors are as prompt.

One national vendor uses UPS Mail Innovations and it seems to go well until the package is transferred to the USPS. After that, it can be slow.

I learned that if I order from one of the national vendors to include ammo. Maybe just one box, but it keeps the shipment out of the USPS since they won't deliver ammo.

I sometimes rant against the USPS and the common carriers but I felt I should offer a positive comment since it went so well this time.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:21 am

HenryFan wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:05 am
Believe me, not all vendors are as prompt.

One national vendor uses UPS Mail Innovations and it seems to go well until the package is transferred to the USPS. After that, it can be slow.

I learned that if I order from one of the national vendors to include ammo. Maybe just one box, but it keeps the shipment out of the USPS since they won't deliver ammo.

I sometimes rant against the USPS and the common carriers but I felt I should offer a positive comment since it went so well this time.
Understood. Believe it or not, the most problems I've had in recent past have been with FED-X.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:42 am

I have generally had the best luck with UPS, then FedEx and the most frustration with USPS.

But then there are pleasant surprises like this.
1 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:57 pm

The package from Cabela's arrived a short time ago.

I placed the order on Saturday at 12:44 and FedEx delivered it on Monday at 14:39.

I should go out and buy a Lotto ticket today.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:55 pm

We usually have good service from UPS, Fedex and USPS from the regular delivery drivers. Not always when they use substitute or extra seasonal drivers. This season we have one seasonal driver from Fedex who won't deliver packages to the front porch. He leaves them most of the way to the house in the middle of the driveway in the rain. It's a quarter mile long driveway. We've confronted him about that. Says he's afraid of going around the corners in the driveway with his truck.

The worst service we've gotten is from OnTrac, VAN and DHL. Packages get delivered at remote neighbors or for some reason they think my barn is a house.
Second worst service we've gotten is when Fedex and UPS use their hand off to USPS services. Packages arrive at the local Fedex or UPS depot, then get handed off to the USPS which then sends them to a postal sort facility near Seattle. Adds 3-4 more days to the sender quoted delivery times. Seems though lately UPS has become aware of this and has started delivering the packages themselves, bypassing the USPS hand off.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:15 pm

Mags -

I think the hand off from UPS to the USPS is called UPS Mail Innovations. I mentioned it above. A large national firearms related vendor uses this and as I said above, all goes well until it is handed off to the USPS.

Adding a box of ammo prevents the USPS from getting involved. And I can always use a box of ammo.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:01 pm

On certain items, Amazon uses the hand-off system. Most of our smaller items or those that are sold and shipped by Amazon arrive the following day because of "Prime" membership. Some items even come overnight and are here when I get up in the morning, even if it's still dark outside. Must be, in part due to the fact that we have an Amazon fulfillment center only about eight miles from us. Too bad they don't sell ammo. 🙂
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry