Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Going to a Gun Show for ammo today in California, how screwed am I?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Koyote
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Going to a Gun Show for ammo today in California, how screwed am I?

Post by Koyote » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:37 pm

What little ammo that is available in Nevada is limited by LGS. Some stores will only sell 100 rounds max. It all depends on what they have in stock.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:22 pm

Do you have to go thru all that in Ca. to purchase reloading supplies?
0 x

The Big Ugly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by The Big Ugly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 am

Coach wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:08 pm
I'm not sure if you will be able to get ammo. If you do, it will be really expensive.

If you want to get more information on California specific laws, I suggest going to Calguns.net. I'm a member of both forums.

CA has some crazy laws in place currently... The members there are very educated on CA laws.
Thanks for the quick response, sorry I couldn't get to you and the others in time. I'll join Calguns, probably should have done that from the start. Thanks for the advice!
0 x

The Big Ugly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by The Big Ugly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:08 am

Rifletom wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:17 pm
Hmm. That address bit is kind of a surprise regarding the FFL. You pick the rifle up on the 29th, so, your 10 day is going thru. Interesting.
Lets see how the ammo thing works out; IF you can even find any at a sane price.
Like Coach, I am also on Calguns.net; proud founder of the "MLC" : Mojave Lever Crew. pennstater over there.
I found two boxes of 357 and 38 but I was stopped short with the whole "You haven't bought your first gun yet" technical. Because the gun was stuck in the waiting period, I was not allowed to purchase the ammo. According to a large amount of people at the show, that was the only conceivable reason I was stopped from purchasing that day.

In case anyone is curious!
0 x

The Big Ugly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by The Big Ugly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:11 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:58 pm
Welcome to the forum.

I recommend going to the California Attorney General’s website or other official state site for information regarding laws. Better to get it first hand than to depend on someone’s interpretation of the laws.
I've noticed that the website doesn't fully explain some of the nuanced rules of navigating gun buying in California. I didn't know anything about the ammo, for example. That, amongst other things was not available on the website or was not easily found for someone who didn't know the right searchable terms.
0 x

The Big Ugly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by The Big Ugly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:14 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:03 pm
How did you make out?
The Big Ugly wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:02 pm
So I’m heading to a Gun Show in California today. ...My question: ...will I be able to even purchase ammo today?
https://oag.ca.gov/ wrote: Effective July 1, 2019, persons seeking to purchase or transfer ammunition will have to undergo an eligibility check, and be approved by the Department, prior to the sale or transfer, except as otherwise specified. Departmental approval shall occur electronically through a licensed ammunition vendor. Pursuant to Penal Code sections 30352 and 30370, the Department will determine that a person is eligible to purchase or transfer ammunition if they meet one of the following requirements:

The person has a current Certificate of Eligibility issued by the Department.

The person’s information matches an entry in the Automated Firearms System (name, date of birth, current address, and driver license or other government identification) and does not fall within a class of persons who are prohibited from owning or possessing ammunition. The Department shall make this determination by cross-referencing the Prohibited Armed Persons file (also known as the Armed and Prohibited Persons System).

The person is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing ammunition. The Department determines eligibility based on a comprehensive review of its records (similar to a firearm eligibility check).

Please note: this eligibility check requires a manual review of records by a Department analyst. As such, the Department may take longer to respond with a determination as to eligibility. Response times may take several days. Persons will have the ability to check the status of their eligibility check through the Ammunition Eligibility Check Status and Information page (available July 1, 2019).
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/apap
According to most people at the gun show that day, the only thing stopping me from purchasing the ammo was the fact that the gun was still in the waiting period. Had it not been my first gun, I would have been able to buy. This was purely an issue of me not fully completing the process for the very first gun and by extension, the very first ammo sale. Kind of annoying but it's not like I can do anything about it.

Wish I had more money that day, saw A LOT of stuff I wanted to get. Jerky was fantastic.
1 x

The Big Ugly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by The Big Ugly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:17 am

Coach wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:22 pm
Any success in your ammo hunt ?
Naw, I was stonewalled by the fact it was the first ever gun purchase, because of that I had to wait the full period to get the gun in order to purchase ammo for it. In other words, could not get the ammo two days ago, can get ammo if I can find it after tomorrow.
0 x

The Big Ugly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by The Big Ugly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:20 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:22 pm
Do you have to go thru all that in Ca. to purchase reloading supplies?
Assuming it's your first gun ever, the waiting period is not just for the gun, it's also for the ammo. No website I went to (Government or otherwise) actually spelled that out. Had to find out for myself.
0 x

The Big Ugly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by The Big Ugly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:24 am

Rifletom wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:17 pm
Hmm. That address bit is kind of a surprise regarding the FFL. You pick the rifle up on the 29th, so, your 10 day is going thru. Interesting.
Lets see how the ammo thing works out; IF you can even find any at a sane price.
Like Coach, I am also on Calguns.net; proud founder of the "MLC" : Mojave Lever Crew. pennstater over there.
Really cool to see people that have such a broad interest in this that it spills over to Henry x Calguns specifically. People poked fun at me at the gun show for liking lever-action! In a nice way, I think.
0 x