Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bullet Stats.

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Bullet Stats.

Post by Jerrysea » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:07 am

Has anyone had the opportunity to chronograph, the 357x with factory ammo.
I have tried looking on the web, seems there are stats. with different length barrels. These numbers are from revolvers. This is with the gap from cylinder to barrel.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Bullet Stats.

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:45 am

You can add 200-300 FPS depending on load to the revolver numbers to get a good idea.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:11 am

Jerrysea wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:07 am
Has anyone had the opportunity to chronograph, the 357x with factory ammo.
I have tried looking on the web, seems there are stats. with different length barrels. These numbers are from revolvers. This is with the gap from cylinder to barrel.
Due to the vagaries of mass production, it's not unusual to see as much as 30-40fps difference from round to round (in any centerfire caliber), even from well known brands such as Hornady & Federal. Something to keep in mind.

I chrono'd .41mag a couple years ago (BBSC), which is not all that different from the .357, and had the above mentioned spread using 190gr LeveRevolution. That can result in a noticeable difference in group sizes at 100yds+/- , compared to handloads or more precisely made factory ammo.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:21 pm

Loading manuals generally list 357 and 44 mags in the rifle section with loads worked up using mostly Marlin 1894’s. Let me know if you don’t have the info and I’ll post it.
0 x

Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Jerrysea » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:09 pm

Here is information from Boxes of 357. Leverevolution 140 grain muzzle ft\sec. 1440.
Pmc Bronze 158 grain jacketed Softpoint. 1471 Ft\Sec. at muzzle.
The Leverevolution is apparently fired from a carbine barrel length unk. and that is the results.
The Pmc number is 1471 ft\sec. most likely from a revolver with a 6 inch barrel.
Seeing the pmc is hotter with a heavier bullet, fired from a revolver with cylinder gap, which supposely,cause some lost of energy. Does the 300 ft\sec or so showing on ballistics charts with a 16 inch barrel remain the same or is there some significant increase beyond the amount indicated above.
I understand different ammo. can be hotter then others, I am just trying to find out if their is no cylinder gap is there a large difference in performance at far as bullet speed.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:51 pm

Jerrysea wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:09 pm
Here is information from Boxes of 357. Leverevolution 140 grain muzzle ft\sec. 1440.
Pmc Bronze 158 grain jacketed Softpoint. 1471 Ft\Sec. at muzzle.
The Leverevolution is apparently fired from a carbine barrel length unk. and that is the results.
The Pmc number is 1471 ft\sec. most likely from a revolver with a 6 inch barrel.
Seeing the pmc is hotter with a heavier bullet, fired from a revolver with cylinder gap, which supposely,cause some lost of energy. Does the 300 ft\sec or so showing on ballistics charts with a 16 inch barrel remain the same or is there some significant increase beyond the amount indicated above.
I understand different ammo. can be hotter then others, I am just trying to find out if their is no cylinder gap is there a large difference in performance at far as bullet speed.
There would be some increase, assuming barrel length is not a factor. BBTI did some tests about this a few years ago.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/gaptests.html

If you add in a longer barrel and no gap it can be significant.

As an example, one of the rounds I chrono'd was Underwood 210gr .41mag. It's listed at 1560 fps from the company, and this was established at their facility with a 6.5" Blackhawk - same as mine. I fired 5 rounds from the 16" BBSC. Avg of 5rnds was 1737fps. Here's the full data sheet:

And here's the one from the Hornady 190gr chrono out of the BBSC, which is listed at 1620fps out of Hornady's 10" test barrel (no cyl gap).

So I suspect that the Hornady would be noticably slower out of my Blackhawk, but I have not chrono'd that. I may do that when the weather gets better just out of curiosity.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Jerrysea » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:41 am

Thank you. The charts included in your response was very helpful. It answers what I was trying to determine.
0 x