Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hornady Leverevolution Ammo.

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Hornady Leverevolution Ammo.

Post by Jerrysea » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:14 am

About 1 week ago I took my Henry x 357 to the range. I have a box of the Leverevolution ammo.. I was able to purchase a few weeks ago.
Since ammo is Hard to find at an affordable price I only fired 4 of these rounds(had other ammo.that I took)
I had one fail to feed with this ammo. put that round back in gun and it functioned find.
I was on another forum and was talking about this incident. Another member advised that Hornady and Henry are aware of feed problems with this ammo.
Does anyone on this Forum have any further information about this ammo. and Brand of Gun.
0 x

Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Hornady Leverevolution Ammo.

Post by Jerrysea » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:16 am

Forgot to mention that was the only Feed problem I had on this range trip.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:50 am

I tried it out a couple years ago in .41 BBSC. Cycled fine, but the ballistics sucked. Very inconsistent MV from round to round = big groups at moderate to long range. Used it for 1 deer season and it did kill a small doe, but I had to track her down, and bullet had passed thru (hit about 8" low from POA at approx 80yds). Still have 3 or 4 boxes of it. I went back to Underwood 210 gr. XTP for last season and this season. Excellent DRT using the Underwood last year on a big doe, and expect the same this weekend. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:59 am

Never had feed issues with it in a 45-70. I have heard of bullet issues like Gene had.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:20 am

I put a box of it through my CCH 30-30 and the groups were the worst out of about 5 or 6 brands I was testing. No feed issues, just problems like Gene points out above.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:24 am

I used it a variety of my Marlin 30-30 lever guns. Interesting ammo. In a few of my Marlins, it shot lights out, but then in another Marlin, it was shooting patterns instead of groups. Never knew what it would do in any particular gun till I shot it. Given that it was pricey, I eventually went back to standard 30-30 factory ammo to get more predictable accuracy.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:34 pm

I had a couple boxes of .44 magnums that I shot in the rifle (ok I guess) but when I loaded all six in a Cimarron .44 mag revolver (39 ounces light) the thing was plum evil to shoot. I shot up about 30 rounds, then on one load after 5 shots the cylinder jammed and I found the 6th round did it. The bullet had pulled out about a 1/16th of an inch or more so the cylinder wouldn't turn.
That's some fierce recoil. The muzzle flip was ridiculous, the recoil really snappish and unpleasant. Guys on a revolver forum said it might have been dubious ammo. That gun wants to be a .44 special and I think I'll let it do just that. It's really accurate and fun with hot specials.
Anyway those Hornadys might well be wildly irregular as far as powder charges.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:35 pm

ESquared wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:20 am
I put a box of it through my CCH 30-30 and the groups were the worst out of about 5 or 6 brands I was testing. No feed issues, just problems like Gene points out above.
In case the OP or anyone else is interested, I posted the chronograph comparison on another thread:
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10255

Imho the only way to really know what's what with ammo is to run a chrony test in the rifle you intend to use it in. You can drive yourself nuts trying to sort things out by just chasing smaller groups if the ammo is the big variable.

And in fact, I would be much more inclined to chrony every new batch/lot of the same brand and caliber I buy these days given the extreme production pressure on ammo manufacturers these days. It would be worth it to me to chrony 3 to 5 rnds out of every newly purchased 20 rnd box for the next 2 or 3 years.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.