Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

406 Ammo

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Jndturner
Tenderfoot
United States of America

406 Ammo

Post by Jndturner » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:54 pm

Last week while in Nebraska for work I stopped in Scheels. They had for the times a good amount of 357 and 38 made by 406 Ammo. I’ve never run into this brand before but went ahead and picked up box of 250. This is 158 gr plated bullets, I can’t remember to listed FPS on it but it seemed decent for range ammo. I haven’t been able to make it to the range yet to try it out. I just wanted to see if anyone has used this brand before. They do have a website and look like they are custom loaders for the most part and market the 406 brand on their own.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 406 Ammo

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:59 pm

their website ====> http://www.pro-loading.com/ .... first time I've ever heard of this company .... they do offer a considerable range of ammo ====> http://www.pro-loading.com/products.html .... couldn't find a list of where to purchase their ammo
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:58 pm

They list components for sale but I 'd bet that they don't have any primers.
0 x

Jndturner
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Jndturner » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:44 am

I was actually surprised to see anything so I decided to take a chance on it. I was actually looking for ammo for a friend for deer season while I was doing some early Christmas shopping. On this trip I missed going into Brownell’s retail shop in Iowa. I stopped but their new temporary hours are closing at 5 when they used to be open until 7. I assume they have limited products to sell at the moment
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 am

For those of you familiar with HSM ammo they also are located in Stevensville Montana. I’m wondering of 406 is an offshoot of HSM, maybe former employees stating up some competition. Just guessing here.......no knowlege.

HSM was started back in the 70’s by a guy named Bill Campbell and the company was known as The Hunting Shack back then. Bill had a retail store and started a manufacturing facility tied to it. He started with muzzle loader round balls and minnie and maxi bullets. He would travel frequently between Stevensville (near Missoula in western Montana) and Spokane and would deliver products to the warehouse I worked for at the time. In the early 80’s Bill started manufacturing ammo and he bought all his powder from the company I worked for. He would drive an old beat up van and load it up to the gills with eight pound jugs of powder. Not safe or legal but those were different times. I believe he has passed away and I don’t know but I suspect he sold the company. Now HSM (Hunting Shack Munitions) is a large company and it’s ammo is well respected out there.

EDIT for fun I just took a look at HSM’s webpage and saw that not only is Bill still alive but he is still active with the company and his son is the President. Tells me that the Campbells most likely still own the company. Wow, two assume’s on my part so I guess I’m a double ass. :lol:
Last edited by Hatchdog on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:55 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 am
Now HSM (Hunting Shack Munitions) is a large company and it’s ammo is well respected out there.
I had no clue what HSM stood for .... thanks for the very interesting info
0 x