Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.45 acp - not your grandad's ammo anymore

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

.45 acp - not your grandad's ammo anymore

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 19, 2024 10:48 am

Just passing along some interesting numbers I ran across this morning. Since I have this evil black Ruger Carbine in .45acp I was impressed with the numbers presented in this recent performance review. Don't worry, I'm not abandoning my Henry. ;)

The % increase of MV and ME over pistol published numbers are astounding! As usual YMMV applies, but it seems pretty solid.

Screen capture of data from below video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxdM2seCDII
6 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: .45 acp - not your grandad's ammo anymore

Post by North Country Gal » Sun May 19, 2024 11:23 am

Agree, pretty impressive. Some of those +P loads in the carbine are in 357 mag range as far as ME. Personally, I'm thrilled see the old cartridge hanging in there as far as popularity. I think the recent move to 45 auto carbines has helped, there.
2 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed May 22, 2024 8:57 am

And 45 ACP works just as well in the Hi Point carbine too!
Attachments
my old hi point 45 with new bullpup stock.jpg
my old hi point 45 with new bullpup stock.jpg (1022.07 KiB) Viewed 763 times
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed May 22, 2024 9:43 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 10:48 am
Just passing along some interesting numbers I ran across this morning. Since I have this evil black Ruger Carbine in .45acp I was impressed with the numbers presented in this recent performance review. Don't worry, I'm not abandoning my Henry. ;)

The % increase of MV and ME over pistol published numbers are astounding! As usual YMMV applies, but it seems pretty solid.

How do you like that evil Ruger Gene? Love my Ruger PC in 40 and Id like to have an LC.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed May 22, 2024 10:14 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:43 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 10:48 am

How do you like that evil Ruger Gene? Love my Ruger PC in 40 and Id like to have an LC.
I like it quite a lot. Other than the fully loaded (26 rnds) weight (pushing 10lbs) it's fun and accurate, and recoil is negligible to me -YMMV. Decent trigger. Haven't had any functional issues with about 200rnds of various ammo thru it so far, so I'm happy with the reliability of it. I put a Magpul bipod on it a couple days ago, but haven't shot it since then. I do wish he'd run the numbers with Hornady Critical Duty (my favorite hot load) 220grn+P, but it is what it is. The CD would likely be well over 1200 fps MV with 800+ ftlbs energy and more reliable/better expansion than you'd get from a 5" pistol especially at longer ranges.

I'd say it's worth your money to get one if you don't mind the follow-on costs for accessories and ammo which it just begs for. ;)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed May 22, 2024 6:49 pm

Thanks Gene Ill need to wait a while to get one as I just bought a 686 so extra gun money is not there.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri May 31, 2024 4:32 pm

I had put a linear compensator on this rifle a few weeks ago, but it just didn't seem to do much other than looking cool. With the +P ammo, recoil was still pretty stout. So I've got a more traditional muzzle brake on order that should be here in a week/10days.
0 x