Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Boathouse

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

The Boathouse

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:50 am

The boathouse became a project months ago, but we were going to farm it out. We noticed that there was an area around the entrance that had some serious water damage. We were concerned that if it got much worse the kayak trailer wheel on that side would drop right thru. :o

02 standing water damage.jpg
02 standing water damage.jpg (187.74 KiB) Viewed 4237 times

The guy who always took care of this type stuff had sold the "Market" he owned, and gone into construction full time. What was once his side job was now a full time business and side jobs were now full time work and he was focusing on BIG jobs.

We had talked with three or four guys we knew that did this type of thing on the side, and wanted the extra money... but never called to set up the work. NOT reliable. They didn't call about other side jobs either so ... We looked at what we needed and early in the week we hooked up the trailer and went to lowes to get the supplies for this job and a fence for Miss T's new pup.

The ramp leading to the boathouse is twenty plus years old and was in need of attention. I felt that it would need the decking replaced, but the two other guys who looked at it felt the framing beneath was solid.

01 boathouse.jpg
01 boathouse.jpg (185.46 KiB) Viewed 4237 times

With the door up, you can see the extent of the damage. I knew there may be damage to the joists underneath and possibly the front ribbon board. We prepared for that since lowes was an hour away. Also in the picture below you can see the alarm pickup on the floor behind the damaged area. When we prepared to cut the flooring, I took careful measurements regarding the position of the alarm pickup. In placing it back in that position after replacing the flooring, I wanted the alarm to reset when the door closed the FIRST time. :)

03 area of full damage.jpg
03 area of full damage.jpg (211.64 KiB) Viewed 4237 times

A look at the interior of the boathouse. For twenty years it has provided security from theft and protection from the sun for the kayaks and trailer and all the fishing gear. I don't mind investing a bit to insure another decade or two of security.

04 the boathouse interior.jpg
04 the boathouse interior.jpg (182.63 KiB) Viewed 4237 times

I had put some thought into the job ahead and had both a plan and a list of materials needed. Anything beyond the plan, we would get from the local lumber supply, but at a bit higher cost. Time to get started.
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: The Boathouse

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:59 am

The repairs started on Wednesday of this week, after we had gone earlier and picked up the materials.
01 trailer load.jpg
01 trailer load.jpg (213.12 KiB) Viewed 4236 times

I carefully measured and then cut across the floor with the circular saw. Miss T had run to the local Lumber Supply and picked up something I had put OFF buying until now. A Dewalt Multi-tool. (DWE-315) She got down on the floor and used the multitool to make the flush cuts against the wall to finish the cuts and we pulled the floor panels. I didn't like what we saw. The first thing? The vibration of the circular saw caused an evacuation of termite like raiders to spill from the water damaged area in the front rim of the building all carrying eggs. :twisted: We drenched that area with a liquid designed to quell the invasion in the rest of the building. They seemed to be limited to that area.

The other problem was the damage was much worse than I had hoped. The entire ribbon board across the front of the building was going to have to be removed.

02 hidden damage.jpg
02 hidden damage.jpg (277.37 KiB) Viewed 4236 times

That meant the ramp was coming off the building in order to replace the ribbon board. Close inspection of the ramp confirmed that the decking was gone. I had already planned to replace the decking, but the frame was history as well.

03 ramp removed.jpg
03 ramp removed.jpg (216.9 KiB) Viewed 4236 times

The ramp was removed and pulled out of the way for later disposal. Nothing to be salvaged.

04 scrap awaiting disposal.jpg
04 scrap awaiting disposal.jpg (217.28 KiB) Viewed 4236 times
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:08 am

On Day Two we worked on getting the section with the floor cut out prepared and the new floor put in place. First I wanted the floor to be strong and not sag. I cut 4x4 sections to slip under the remaining ply and slipped those under, 3/4" short of flush. Then a 2x4 on edge to brace the ply. Then more 4x4 sections on the remaining braces under the flooring. For the ribbon board replacement, I cut a 2x4 to fit the gap we had cut out of the rotted from ribbon eight foot one inch long. I cut another 2x4 that was 12 inches longer on both ends and centered the front section on that and screwed it in place every 12 inches. Then the flooring was screwed in place over the newly strengthened base. The front section of flooring was carefully cut to fit the odd shape and was routed to slip under the tracks for the roll up door.

00 framed out.jpg
00 framed out.jpg (209.7 KiB) Viewed 4236 times
01 floor done.jpg
01 floor done.jpg (193.24 KiB) Viewed 4236 times

With careful measurements, the alarm pickup was put back in place and the door was closed. The alarm panel was reset and :P the alarm set! :)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:17 am

Day Three:

On day three we spent the bulk of the day building a much stronger framework for the ramp. This was done under the parking awning as the temps were in the high 90s for the day and I am both old and gimpy. :D However, I do have some old skills. :P Once the frame was complete, I used the Polaris Ranger to pull it into position.

01 new ramp frame.jpg
01 new ramp frame.jpg (260.24 KiB) Viewed 4235 times

It was levered into position and then wedged into alignment. Attached to the building face with lag bolts, the weight bearing will be done with 4x4 legs and block pillars. The loaded kayak trailer weighs less than 500 pounds anyway. Not much of a load.

02 attached to building.jpg
02 attached to building.jpg (195.64 KiB) Viewed 4235 times

We began installing the decking boards with spacing between to allow for proper draining to reducing the chance of water remaining held between the boards and accelerating the deterioration of the new ramp. By the end of the day, we were 99 percent done. We have two more deck boards to install but it was HOT and we were burned out. We collected all the tools and we will take a rest day and finish up tomorrow.
03 nearly done.jpg
03 nearly done.jpg (255.56 KiB) Viewed 4235 times

The gravel around the end of the ramp will be pushed back into place with the blade and dressed, and we will be done.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:48 am

outstanding project .... those repairs should last for many years
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:06 am

Nice repair job Jim! Well done!
BTW, I picked up a Dewalt Multi Tool a couple years ago and it sure has come in handy. One of my favorites now.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 am

Thanks Guys

Note that there is still lumber on the trailer.

more lumber.jpg
more lumber.jpg (193.5 KiB) Viewed 4224 times

THAT is for project two. We plan to fence in the River Birches behind the house for the pup we picked up for Tina last month so she has a secure space for herself out back.

river birch.jpg
river birch.jpg (324.45 KiB) Viewed 4224 times

The area will be about 150 x 75 where she will have both a shaded grassy area to play and allow access to the side porch. It will come out from the right corner of the house in this picture 75 feet, go across 150 feet to about where the frost free water pipe stands, then run up the edge of the walk to the corner of the porch, cutting over a couple feet to enclose the area. There will be an access gate out in the back yard somewhere to allow entry for a mower. Tina plans on using a basic push reel mower. She also plans on a ramp running up diagonally along that brick wall and a small access panel so the pup can enter the side porch thru the lattice. Since the porch is covered, and contains a small doghouse, which won't overheat in the summer and will be shielded from the snow and freezing rain in the winter, the "Princess" will be well protected from the elements. :D (The dog's name is "Princess Fiona Pee Pee."

back of side porch.jpg
back of side porch.jpg (302.86 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
front of side porch.jpg
front of side porch.jpg (168.67 KiB) Viewed 4224 times

That project will be delayed slightly. Our state requires you call MISS Utility and have them come out and mark any underground lines where you plan to dig, and we have 20 posts to set. :roll: :shock: I plan to rent a tow behind post hole digger since "I" Have no intention of digging ONE post hole, :P let alone twenty. :? the local area rental has one that is well worth the daily rental and should make short work of the task. We will also make use of the new Secure Set rather than concrete to set the posts. It's just a fence for a ten pound dog. ;)
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:41 am

Cute little pup there!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:04 pm

You never really know how bad it is until you start tearing into it. Great job on the rebuild!!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:03 pm

I owe the project's success to my stepfather, whom my mother married when I was in high school. He owned a small construction company in the metro Richmond area. A couple employees, and he built additions and garages, never advertised, and had a waiting list due to word of mouth. Most of his customers were from the high end homes along the river, expected perfection, and it's what he delivered. He never rushed, only believed in quality work, no shortcuts, and the right materials.

I try to remember what he taught me way back when... But the 70s were a long time ago.
:D
0 x