Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ag Building Corner Rebuild

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Ag Building Corner Rebuild

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:26 am

JEBar wrote:nicely done on anchoring the corner pier block .... set in concrete that way, it ought to be there from now on
Thanks. I'm counting on the broader base the concrete gives and the concrete around it to keep it from moving. Previous owner 50 yrs ago, just stuck these in the ground without stabilization. Five on the down slope (4 in back) did not stay in place. The worst I had to replace was leaning out almost 45'. Took the base of the wall leaning out with it. Amazing the whole thing didn't collapse. Couldn't get the tractor to it so replaced the 4 in back with 6 new with different spacing while I had the roof jacked up.

Tomorrow (Friday), the plan is to put up the corner post and start the framing for the two wall sections. The west wall section slid out far enough I can frame behind it. Leaving that old wall section up for now saves having to drop the power line. I can just transfer the power line anchor over to the new wall once the new wall is up and secured in place.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:17 am

Nice work!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:30 am

well thought out
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:09 am

Most would have demo'd and started over. Good job.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:35 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:Most would have demo'd and started over. Good job.
Ya, I've gotten that advice before. Unfortunately cash flow issues meant not going one and done. Also complicating factor with it sitting on a slope meant additional costs in excavation and retaining wall work on the back. So not much choice going the sectional repair/replace route spread over years and available cash. This story is just about this last corner, whole lot of work already been done on the rest of the building in years prior. Last year I was afraid I'd end up with a two tone building. The green metal was hard to find. I found a place I could order it and bought what I needed for last year and this year.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:38 am

Quite a project. Love seeing the old dimensional lumber.

Keep up the good work!

Petey
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:13 am

That is a lot of work. I need to reduce the roof on my outdoor kitchen. I keep putting it off but you have given me some inspiration.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Sir Henry wrote:That is a lot of work. I need to reduce the roof on my outdoor kitchen. I keep putting it off but you have given me some inspiration.
Glad to have spurred you on. Share your picts too.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:01 am

After week and half away and waiting on lumber, I got back at it today. Working on putting up the new front wall section where the doors will eventually be. No pictures for today, not much to show. Since I'm working solo a lot of time goes into constructing/removing temporary lifts and tie downs. I do have the front upper beam in place and the roof span edge, for the soon to be roof trusses, tied to the new beam. Tomorrow's plan is to frame in for the doors.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:50 pm

Didn't get to framing the front wall section. Spent most of the day chizzling out a hole in the hard ground for the middle pier block between the doors, then getting it in alignment and the cement poured around it. Later took time to clean my Henry and lastly sit down with a glass of Irish whiskey over ice.
0 x