Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Water heaters

Post by markiver54 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:22 am

Mags wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:52 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:42 pm
Managed to clean up the breezeway while limping around. No more big box...Yay!!
Way better!
Thank you Mags.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:51 am

Looks good!
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:30 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:56 am
I’m interested in your results too. Around here more and more homes are being built without basements (cheaper) and the furnace and water heaters are put in the garages. Of course this requires the garage to be insulated and sheet rocked which is a good thing. Something I wish I had done when the house was built. Not sure if folks with the garage located systems are heating the garage or not. But with out winter temps I’m thinking it would be needed.
Local Spokane CITY building code allows appliances in the garage without full insulation or heat there. Which IMHO is insane. My house was built in 2014, no basement, the HVAC stuff is very much in the way in the garage. The only area where 3/4” sheet rock is required as a fire barrier is on that common wall that is shared with the living space and on the ceiling (shared attic space). My garage is fully sheet rocked, but not heated, but I had to pay extra for that. I see lots of houses with their garage doors wide open for hours on bitter cold days, that is a very bad habit, I try to limit the door openings to brief dashes in and out with a vehicle. That way the temp rarely gets below 40 degrees.

One other concern is back venting from the gas water heater, with any added shop fan, I have to be careful in summer to not draw exhaust gases back down the flue. An electric WH doesn’t have that deadly risk. I was going to replace it with a hybrid gas/ electric WH, but one tech quickly talked me out of that mistake. He said many customers install them and then have them yanked out after a few years due to their constant out of warranty maintenance problems.

I don’t know the County code for Deer Park, but my feeling is that it is a little more lax than the city one…

John Davies
Spokane city, WA
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:57 pm

Well....ya been using it for a couple weeks now.
Whatcha think??

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:18 am

Vaquero wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:57 pm
Well....ya been using it for a couple weeks now.
Whatcha think??

RP
Funny you should ask. Was getting ready to post a follow up.

I am truly enjoying the fact that my breezeway is now clear for the most part. That was my main goal. ( to get rid of that big box ).
As for the tankless; it's taking some time to get used to it. It takes a bit longer for the water to run hot. Not a big deal though Only maybe 20 seconds or so. A little faster in the bathroom because it is closer to the unit. Once the water is hot though, there is no chance of running out. Heck, as the plumber put it, " you could fill a swimming pool with hot water ". :D

It WAS a very expensive install, but well worth it to me. I think it probably increased the value of the house some as well. I don't think I will live long enough to see a return on investment, but that was not my goal anyway. The ONLY drawback is that if I lose power, I have no hot water as there is no standing water in a tank to use. Course that wouldn't last long anyway. All in all, I am very pleased with the unit.
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:45 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:18 am
... The ONLY drawback is that if I lose power, I have no hot water as there is no standing water in a tank to use. ...
It's gas fueled heater. Why wouldn't you still have hot water?
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:39 pm

Mags wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:45 pm
markiver54 wrote:
... The ONLY drawback is that if I lose power, I have no hot water as there is no standing water in a tank to use. ...
It requires electricity for the internal gas igniter. No continuous pilot. Matter of fact, I had to have an outlet installed in the closet where the unit is located.
Good question though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:35 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:39 pm
Mags wrote:
markiver54 wrote:
It requires electricity for the internal gas igniter. No continuous pilot. Matter of fact, I had to have an outlet installed in the closet where the unit is located.
Good question though.
Wonder if there is a battery backup option? Not a water heater, but the propane gas fireplace at my mother-in laws has a battery box with 8 AA batteries in it that will run the igniter if the power goes out.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:52 pm

Mags wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:35 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:39 pm
Mags wrote:

Good question though.
Wonder if there is a battery backup option? Not a water heater, but the propane gas fireplace at my mother-in laws has a battery box with 8 AA batteries in it that will run the igniter if the power goes out.
Hmm...maybe I'll research that. It WOULD be nice.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry