Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

South Orchard Crossing

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

South Orchard Crossing

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:28 am

Y'all might remember this crossing, along the south fence line into the orchard. Our first year here, there was a flood and the waters crossed over the road, halfway across the orchard and leveled a 50 yard section of the fence. Here is where it took out the fence....

fence damage.jpg
fence damage.jpg (502.55 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

And where the water rose over the road....

over the road.jpg
over the road.jpg (833.67 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

We talked to the state about widening the creek on our side of the fence, to reduce the water pressure on the culvert (They call them Tinhorns here) so the damage to the ROAD would be reduced. A win/win for both. Nope. We were focusing on the repairs to the "new to us" farmhouse so we let it go, and fixed our fence.

Over the last three years, heavy rains continued to erode the crossing there, and ate away at the banks. Two more flooding rains pounded the "TinHorn" and twisted it in it's position under the road. We'd call the Road Department, they would come out, pour a load of gravel in front of the TinHorn and leave. I would explain that they at least needed RipRap for the weight, but they'd explain the "Boss Said," and dump the gravel. First heavy rain and the gravel would shoot out the other side and be washed downstream.

For the last few months, we have to go out one gate, and come in the other to get to the orchard section of the pasture. :evil: But, we found a neighbor with heavy equipment and a break in his schedule and he came out Saturday and .... knocked out the small job in three hours.

Here are some before pictures:

This pic looks upstream at the crossing and the creekbed. Note how narrow the bed is and how deep. In the pics above remember that the water was WAY above the banks here and boiling across the top of the fence. Think of the power. Look at the left side of the bank at the crossing. The ranger can handle some pretty steep angles but this one was a bit difficult and risky.

01 before.jpg
01 before.jpg (605.58 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

When the water backs up in front of the Tinhorn, it begans to whirlpool and digs a hole. this drop off here is pretty deep, four to six feet in places, below the level of the creek bed. It was getting wider and moving farther back from the Tinhorn with every really heavy rain.

03 before.jpg
03 before.jpg (638.71 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

This is a good view of the Tinhorn itself. When we moved here, before the first major flood, this was level with the roadway above. You can clearly see that it's now canted in it's position in relation to the road. There was a clear gap under the road, but they packed gravel into the hole and sealed that. Another major high pressure flow and the rotation could continue.

04 water twisted the culvert.jpg
04 water twisted the culvert.jpg (572.74 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

But, we called in the big guns, and paid for the work, for OUR benefit. Now we can really repair the fence and the reduced power of the water shouldn't take it down again.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: South Orchard Crossing

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:38 am

Our neighbor brought in a dozer and started working. He is pretty much retired from the heavy equipment business, but like most retiree's I know, he stays busy to keep out of the house. He kept most of his equipment and still builds ponds, clears areas for foundations and the like. He is an artist with heavy equipment.

05 roy ross dozer.jpg
05 roy ross dozer.jpg (624.36 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

For example, he backed the lowboy right in the farm gate off this narrow road on the first try, ONE shot.

06 mr ross's delivery rig.jpg
06 mr ross's delivery rig.jpg (561.21 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

After about three hours, that mess posted above really looked pretty good. Nice approach angles and we had it widened out to take away the bulk of the approach power on the fence.

07 nice job.jpg
07 nice job.jpg (566.37 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

Miss T, Fiona, and Mr. Ross inspect the job.

08 tina and mr ross inspect the work.jpg
08 tina and mr ross inspect the work.jpg (523.55 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

An upstream view of the work....

09 up stream view.jpg
09 up stream view.jpg (585.24 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

Tina was even able to drive the tractor and bush hog across to top the orchard section of the pasture yesterday afternoon. That has always required opening and closing two gates and going down the road... She was thrilled.

That big pile of dirt from the work will go into my range berm and be used to create two culvert crossings on the range. Any leftovers will certainly be put to work elsewhere. We will start putting money aside to have him do some pond work as soon as we can pay cash for it.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:36 pm

Great effort Marine. You are lucky to have such a retired neighbor. He sure seems to have done a great job. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on the next heavy rainfall.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:10 pm

NICE .... looking forward to seeing pictures showing how it handles your area's next heavy rain storm
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:25 pm

We have seen a lot of his work in the area. I know a lot of guys who retired, loved NOT having to get up and do anything... then realized they were dying of boredom and started taking side jobs and volunteering to do things for friends and family and found they were busier than before they retired. Tina and I were heavy into the volunteer scene BEFORE I retired so we avoided that trap, but I have one friend, a Retired Police Sergeant, who carries his calendar with his because he can't agree to have LUNCH with friends without checking his schedule and he has been retired for almost fifteen years... :o

But... he loves it. Never bored. He just accepted the post of Commandant of his branch of the Marine Corps League. He had been Commander of the Honor Guard for the last ten years, coordinating all the funerals for about ten counties, and sitting on the board for longer than that. It had been coming for a good while.

LONG retired, but he is still a guest instructor at the Academy, competing in firearms matches, Running Matches, sitting on the board at the Izzak Walton range...

busy.
0 x