Kitchen Range Project

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Kitchen Range Project

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:17 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:53 pm
It's natural gas, as is the hot water heater and the furnace.
I believe they are only doing away with Natural Gas. As far as I know propane is safe.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:35 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:17 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
I believe they are only doing away with Natural Gas. As far as I know propane is safe.
Lucky me, I have natural gas going to my house in the country. I also have a gas stove, hot water heater and home heating. I just replaced the professional stove and range hood in my home last year. They should be good for a while. Cooking with gas is the best in my opinion.

I too am looking forward to how your sliders come out.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:45 am

daytime dave wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:35 am
Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:17 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Lucky me, I have natural gas going to my house in the country. I also have a gas stove, hot water heater and home heating. I just replaced the professional stove and range hood in my home last year. They should be good for a while. Cooking with gas is the best in my opinion.

I too am looking forward to how your sliders come out.
I've always joked with people about the term " hot water heater ". I know almost everyone says it that way, but I choose to just say " water heater ".
If my water was already hot, then I don't need to heat it. 😁 Sorry, couldn't resist. OCD kikn' in I guess.
3 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:07 am

There are a lot of phrases like that in the English Language.. LOL
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:03 pm

Marine, I'm glad she found something she liked that was in stock.
I had Thermador for the range and the hood before. Niether could be repaired. To replace with the same things was way over my budget, plus the amount of repair reciepts the previous owner had kept, told me always repairing might be in my future.
I found a family owned appliance store 40 miles from me and had three choices for the range and one for the hood. The range I chose was made in the USA, Bosch, and I had to wait 6.5 months for it to be delivered and installed. The other ones were not made in States or way too expensive. The hood, Wolf, was 10 months to be delivered and then I needed a contractor to install it. I came in just at budget for the project.
So far, the items were worth the wait. I do the cooking at home and use all the bells and whistles on the stove. I was able to do my canning this year with ease.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:26 pm

We didn't want to get a lot of bells and whistles on items we buy these days... contractors and repair men are hard to find. We are lucky that we have an appliance guy, but they are IN town only once per week, on tuesdays. They come from about 90 minutes away from a small appliance shop, but are very good, friendly, and it's a family run shop. We recommended them to a neighbor and he loaded his Fridge on the back of his truck and drove it to them, they turned it around in a couple days and since he took it to them, they dropped it off for free the next time they were in town.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:29 pm

Set up the planer this morning and ran the four roughed pieces thru to take out the bulk of the lines and uneven areas. The 2" pieces took about ten to fifteen passes as both sides needed to be pretty smooth due to their application. I will do a bit more work with my card scrapers and some sandpaper on those. The bottom and sides can get by with about a 400 grit finish, but the top and front edges on those two will probably get about a 600 to 800 grit treatment.

The one inch backsplash pieces only need a single face, and the sides and ends, the back face will be smooth enough from the planer as it will face the wall.

08 planer.jpg
08 planer.jpg (378.9 KiB) Viewed 702 times

I should be able to start cutting the poplar pieces in the next day or so.
(I also did some knife work on the Damascus knife today.)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:53 pm

Headed out to the shop this morning to work on the kitchen range cabinet project. First things first, had to get set up to start the actual cutting and assembly. You have all heard me refer to equipment stored in the "boathouse." I'm sure some of you wonder "Where is this boathouse?" You have seen the red door at the back left of the woodshop... it's the entry to the boathouse from the woodshop. HERE is a look inside the mysterious boathouse.

09 boathouse.jpg
09 boathouse.jpg (381.91 KiB) Viewed 685 times

The red door is visible at the right rear of the boathouse. We have always called this the boathouse because when we first moved here, the kayak trailer and two kayaks were also stored here until we added the new barn and they were moved into a stall in the old bard and CHAINED to the wall there. There is still a kayak hanging on the wall here. I also store NON climate sensitive equipment and tools here, and I have wood stacked against the left wall. OFF the floor on blocks Slab size, 2' x 12' some of it. New project stacks, like the oak and poplar for the project today.

I also had to get the clamp rack and roll it into the shop as I'll need a number of them in this stage of the project.

10 clamp rack.jpg
10 clamp rack.jpg (418.46 KiB) Viewed 685 times

In addition, I set up the Miter saw, and the vacuum, I'll be making a number of cuts to prep for assembly. The cuts will come from the last sketch and I'll temporarily assemble the project to check the lengths before proceeding. Oh, I'll need more space for assembly than the regular woodworking bench, so I cleaned off the cutting table and the knife shaping table and adjusted their height so they matched.

12 work space.jpg
12 work space.jpg (306.31 KiB) Viewed 685 times
Attachments
11 miter saw set up.jpg
11 miter saw set up.jpg (358.52 KiB) Viewed 685 times
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:02 pm

Working from the sketch, I made each cut, measuring carefully and cutting to, but leaving the fine pencil mark to insure accurate length. Once all the pieces were cut, I began a rough assembly to check the fit and length of the pieces. I didn't worry about spacing of the interior shelves at this point, just that the layout was square to check for the measurements. The drawn concept has become physical reality.

13 concept becoming reality.jpg
13 concept becoming reality.jpg (351.75 KiB) Viewed 684 times

Look carefully inside the shelving, what are those silver things? Oh, yeah... the 123 blocks have once again made their appearance. They are heavy, so they stay in place. They are machined to perfect 90 degree corners, so I can use them to assure the layout is square. No going corner to corner with the tri-square and trying to move one corner and pulling another out. This is just a test, no glue, no fasteners in place.

14 123 blocks in use again.jpg
14 123 blocks in use again.jpg (307.23 KiB) Viewed 684 times

I will come back out and run each component across the table saw to rip them to width. Once done, I'll reassemble them and began spacing the shelves and marking the sides. Once done, the holes for assembly can be drilled, and the notches for the dowels can be cut. We will make progress. The base and the walnut counter top will be next for this side. I'll cut the oak face last.
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:16 pm

That looks awesome.

I've had two problems with the last half dozen gas ranges I've had. At some point, someone turns on the self-clean function, which cooks the oven's thermostats causing them to prematurely fail.

I'm sorely frustrated with my current oven. It will only turn on if you turn it on to 400. If you open the door, the oven shuts off and will not reheat until it is under 200 degrees.

I've kids in college, and other priorities right now. Other wise I would be replacing the oven and stove top.
0 x