Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Kitchen Range Project

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Kitchen Range Project

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:42 am

With the Biden Admin thinking about banning Gas Stoves, we decided to replace the aging 36" gas stove in our kitchen while we still could. Miss T started to do her research and decided to replace it with a 30" wide model instead of splurging with the 36" for simple financial reasons. We didn't need the gas stove in the kitchen to do miracles, just cook, bake, broil. She didn't want Air Fry, Convection this and built in that. Didn't even have to be self cleaning. We are pretty neat in our kitchen habits anyway. The problem with the 36" models is that pretty much start with a bunch of extras and go UP from there. :evil:

After a week or so of research, she found a name brand she liked and it was in stock at Home Depot. Price point? $700. Now I had a new kitchen project, design filler to take up the 3+ inches on either side of the new stove. Rather than dead space, I came up with a pull out slider on one side to hold spices; and a fixed thin cabinet on the other to hold the huge cookie sheets and muffin tin. SHE approved the idea, now up to me to make it happen. Here is the new range, it's NOT centered in this pic. :roll: We were in the middle of leveling the legs.

new range.jpg
new range.jpg (336.34 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Kitchen Range Project

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:55 am

She looked online, and tried to find matching countertop material. No joy, the counters are a couple decades old. If we did find the same material it probably wouldn't match anyway, ours have probably faded significantly over the last twenty years. Looking into replacing all the counters? Nope, rather expensive. I suggested cutting board design shoulders on the edges to butt up to the stove to fill the space. A thumbs up from the boss.

The thin filler cabinets will be made from poplar with oak faces, and I found a slab of black walnut large enough to make the two cutting board countertops and back splashes. I started on the rough sketches to work out the two cabinet layouts and measurements and their bases. The storage cabinet will be fairly simple, but the pull out spice rack will be a tad more complicated, requiring drawer pulls and accommodating the gas line at the rear.

The walnut slab:

walnut slab.jpg
walnut slab.jpg (355.55 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

I set up the table saw and dust collection for turning the rough slab into the pieces I needed. Before beginning on the table saw, I cut the slab into two 26" long pieces.

saw setup.jpg
saw setup.jpg (266.35 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

I didn't try and cut it in large passes. I made cuts no more than 1" per pass, and flipped the slab on each pass, then raised the blade another 1" after two passes. The first piece I only had to cut once as it had one flat edge. The second piece had to have two sides squared up and was more complicated. But both were eventually done. From the leftovers, I chopped two 6" to 7" pieces and set the saw up for 1" thick pieces for backsplash and repeated the process to get those done.

The rough work was done and once we are close on both cabinets I can begin to finish the cutting board counter top inserts.

slab rough cut.jpg
slab rough cut.jpg (362.55 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:58 am

I have worked up the rough drawing and then a mock up from scraps to insure the spices will fit. Miss T said when I build the spice pullout to leave the back off, and use a second dowel, that way she can access the spices from either side of the pullout in case she is working from another counter instead of the stove. Makes sense to me.

working sketch.jpg
working sketch.jpg (176.78 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

test mockup.jpg
test mockup.jpg (366.61 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

Have already made changes to the sketch and adjustments to the design.
Ways to go, but we'll get there. I enjoy the challenge. I bought top of the line drawer pulls, with steel construction and steel bearings. Should outlast us.

Watch this space. 8-)
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:05 am

Nice range report,🙂 That looks like a real nice one! Great idea for the pull out space fillers as well. Will be watching to see the finished project..
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:15 am

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:05 am
Nice range report,🙂 That looks like a real nice one! Great idea for the pull out space fillers as well. Will be watching to see the finished project..
My thoughts exactly, a very different but awesome range report. Looking forward to following along and man, I sure wish I had half of your abilities.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:57 pm

A peek at one of the updated sketches for the pullout spice rack.

updated sketch.jpg
updated sketch.jpg (453.27 KiB) Viewed 1513 times

There will be a base that is 3 inches wide, 3-1/2" tall, and 23" long, extending back nearly to the wall, behind the rack for stability. It will have an Oak face to match the oak Kick Plate trim of the existing cabinets and the Oak Faux Door on the pull out will meet with it. I continue to review the numbers and design until I start the build, modifying and correcting as needed. The walnut cutting board top will be mounted to the existing counter above the pullout with the drawer slide anchored to the underside, and the other drawer pull mounted on top of the base. Miss T wants the Cutting board counter top on the right side to be 1/4" proud to keep the contents of that side from sliding off of the counter toward the stovetop. (A kosher cutting board set) She asks and she receives. ;)
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:52 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:42 am
With the Biden Admin thinking about banning Gas Stoves, we decided to replace the aging 36" gas stove in our kitchen while we still could. Miss T started to do her research and decided to replace it with a 30" wide model instead of splurging with the 36" for simple financial reasons. We didn't need the gas stove in the kitchen to do miracles, just cook, bake, broil. She didn't want Air Fry, Convection this and built in that. Didn't even have to be self cleaning. We are pretty neat in our kitchen habits anyway. The problem with the 36" models is that pretty much start with a bunch of extras and go UP from there. :evil:

After a week or so of research, she found a name brand she liked and it was in stock at Home Depot. Price point? $700. Now I had a new kitchen project, design filler to take up the 3+ inches on either side of the new stove. Rather than dead space, I came up with a pull out slider on one side to hold spices; and a fixed thin cabinet on the other to hold the huge cookie sheets and muffin tin. SHE approved the idea, now up to me to make it happen. Here is the new range, it's NOT centered in this pic. :roll: We were in the middle of leveling the legs.

new range.jpg
I'm guessing from the context and the picture the new stove is propane. Good choice if so.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:53 pm

It's natural gas, as is the hot water heater and the furnace.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:14 pm

It appears that you have an electrical outlet to move as well.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:39 pm

The outlet works okay there, the range has to sit forward enough due to the plumbing for the gas that the electric can opener power cord isn't affected. The plug for the range is down behind the range about two feet off the floor.
1 x