Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I need a garage/barn

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: I need a garage/barn

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:30 pm

My RVport is working out great. It’s open halfway on the sides and all the way in front so some snow blows in. The important part is it’s off the roof. This is the most snow we have had this winter.
9E24EAD6-B498-49A3-B90D-199029EC30D4.jpeg
9E24EAD6-B498-49A3-B90D-199029EC30D4.jpeg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 390 times
This is a 17x45 foot open sided building. I have another 30x50 closed side garage on order. It’s in another thread.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:52 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:52 am
This is my second winter (although first complete) winter in Wisconsin. I currently have a three car garage but it’s not big enough plus the third space is at the end and the entrance is from the lawn. It’s great for the lawn mower and such but not for cars. I can actually get four cars into it but have to move a car out to get to the other one. Long story short it’s good for one car and then would have room for a good shop.

This brings me to needing another garage. I’m thinking detached and a hundred feet from the house and would house my tall van and tractor. It would be ideal at 24x40 feet. It would be a garage but look like a barn from the road.

Now the question is should it be wood or steel, framed or a pole? I know some of you must have out buildings.
The only suggestion I can make is build the garage twice the size you think you need. I built a 24'x26' attached garage to the house filled it up wish I built it bigger.
0 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:58 pm

Handloader wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:52 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:52 am
This is my second winter (although first complete) winter in Wisconsin. I currently have a three car garage but it’s not big enough plus the third space is at the end and the entrance is from the lawn. It’s great for the lawn mower and such but not for cars. I can actually get four cars into it but have to move a car out to get to the other one. Long story short it’s good for one car and then would have room for a good shop.

This brings me to needing another garage. I’m thinking detached and a hundred feet from the house and would house my tall van and tractor. It would be ideal at 24x40 feet. It would be a garage but look like a barn from the road.

Now the question is should it be wood or steel, framed or a pole? I know some of you must have out buildings.
The only suggestion I can make is build the garage twice the size you think you need. I built a 24'x26' attached garage to the house filled it up wish I built it bigger.
My new one will be 30x50 and should be big enough. I already have a 24x30 and a 17x45 open front RVport which I can keep my diesel pusher, bikes, ladders and a cord of wood. The smaller garage near the house will be for my Subaru and will become a heated workshop. The new 30x50 will be up the hill and a 100 yards from the house. It will be tall enough to house my van and the tractor with the roll bar up. I doubt I’ll use it much in the winter except to store lawn mowers and such.

Yesterday the concrete man came out and I should have an estimate in the next two weeks.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater